Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I just came from a Bolt EV with a camera built into the full length of the rear-view mirror and it was the SAFEST feature I even owned. The width of whats viewable full time on the camera "monitor" is much wider than what you get from even side view mirrors hence much SAFER to use looking up than looking away.
I would like to put on in my '11 EX but traditionally ppl are using rubber bands to attach over their mirror version and I think its tacky plus begging to be stolen.

The after markets also have an front camera and they record. I'm really doing it for the rear view (and then going to add something for close-2-the-road level front/rear for parking/distance (including audio sensors ..)but that will have to be linked to a radio upgrade...which I am also researching..).

Can anyone assist me in idea's how to permanently mount these into the E?

Some choices I'm looking at and there are a few like that around.
Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3 comes with some factory mount kit with a few adapters but the sellers says none for Honda....

I found something like this that could be used for the mod possibly?..(not an exact fit..)

How the rear view mirror is mounted (ex 1 , ex 2 )in the E would make the wires almost hidden and very clean from prying eyes...
I would consider welding the damn thing together and use special screws that no one could take off w.out a special tool.. idk just thoughts.
Please help !! I will take and provide all pics once I have a solution. Remember all the newer tech cars have these installed ex:
some of the after markets up to 170 degree view! "The 170° wide angle cameras can capture footage clearly at bright day and night "

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a similar dash cam. It doesn’t use rubber band to hold on the mirror it’s a much more durable strap. Once it’s on the stock mirror it isn’t noticeable at all. i ran the wires underneath the head liner( I removed it completely) so even when coming down through the mirror mount it isn’t noticeable at all. At least give it a shot first before modding

Secondly I wouldn’t suggest making any permanent mods on the windshield it self. The windshield is known to get cracks and may need to be replace more than once.

Excited to see how you do this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a similar dash cam. It doesn’t use rubber band to hold on the mirror it’s a much more durable strap. Once it’s on the stock mirror it isn’t noticeable at all. i ran the wires underneath the head liner( I removed it completely) so even when coming down through the mirror mount it isn’t noticeable at all. At least give it a shot first before modding

Secondly I wouldn’t suggest making any permanent mods on the windshield it self. The windshield is known to get cracks and may need to be replace more than once.

Excited to see how you do this.
Link to what you're using? I'm hoping to modify the adapter (last image) to mount to the cars native mount: ex 1
I won't go near the windshield. Why in God's name these manufacturers that have mod kids for their devices don't make one for Honda.... I can't figure out...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok those are bands also.. feelt like its dying to be stolen.. like the radar detectors of the 90's1
hmm.. what are your thoughts here.
Step 1 start with this .. here is the diagram
And then use this adapter (ebay assures me it fits?)

Which I could then use this or this

thoughts? I just don't want to worry that someone could pull it out of my car as fast as an unwrapped cigar sitting in the change compartment.
I would probably get special torx screws so a flat/or phillip couldnt be used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Idk maybe dash cams aren’t what people are looking to steal when it comes to this so probably why no one has done a mod. Most radios we have now use back up cameras. This particular dash cam looks like the mirror so no one looks for it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are new to the market. Most high tech /EV cars come with them imbedded. Most of these after-market are installed using bands to go over the traditional mirror. Eventually thieves will get wise to them like they did radar detectors and such. I will post pics of what happens but I am adamant about mounting it safely and wisely and not putting out candy for a kid. Attempting to factory mount is the most discrete way .. and maybe using safety torq screws that some thief passing by doesn't have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After marker adapters seem to cover everything EXCEPT a honda element! argh
This vendor seems to have 'em all but nothing for element. Can anyone spot on that could work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This guy did a long video of all his mods but at the 14:37 mark he shows his mirror mod similar to what you want but his is an Auto-Vox brand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not really answering your question but thought I'd leave a note for others interested in rear view mirror cameras:

I got the AKASO DL9 off Amazon, mostly because it seems to come with a better quality rear view camera than what you can get standalone. I wasn't really sold on the mirror itself but have come to like it.

I had pulled out my whole interior to put in lots of sound deadening (never again) and planned to route the cable straight back in the headliner, but had second thoughts and ran it along the passenger side of the car along with the washer fluid line and some other stuff. The wires go up into the mirror mount, into the headliner, down the passenger a-pillar, kick panel, under the door sill panel, the rear side panel, and up the rear pillar to where the brake light wiring goes to the hatch.

I created a 12v socket that just lives at the bottom of the glove box to power the camera using a 12v socket add-a-circuit off Amazon. It is on the same fuse as the front 12v socket. Make sure you get one for the correct fuse size. The power cable hides neatly away behind various plastic trim in the dash.

I have the camera mounted on some velcro under the brake light, pointed down so that I can just barely see the wiper mechanism at the bottom of the screen (I live in NYC and this is 99% for precision parallel parking). It was easy to tap into the right rear reverse light on the way to the hatch brake light (green black positive cable in harness near the wiring for the rear 12v socket).

One issue I still haven't figured out is getting the camera to not vibrate on the rear view mirror. I've been experimenting with the various insulating materials I bought for sound deadening but nothing has been a hit yet. The supplied mount (yes it does include some heavy duty rubber band-like fasteners) doesn't do a great job.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're a bit brave you could try to do something with the ball mount? Pop the stock mirror off there (it is really easy to pull the whole mirror off with the mount. Three philips screws iirc), or buy a spare, and figure out how to attach one (I love epoxy) onto the new rear view mirror:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you're a bit brave you could try to do something with the ball mount? Pop the stock mirror off there (it is really easy to pull the whole mirror off with the mount. Three philips screws iirc), or buy a spare, and figure out how to attach one (I love epoxy) onto the new rear view mirror:

That's a GREAT idea. I think a used one of these is like $60 on ebay for when I need to sell the car. What product (link) would you suggest for epoxy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd say it depends on the plastics used. I've done stupid things with HDPE plastic and had great luck with the JB Weld branded stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd say it depends on the plastics used. I've done stupid things with HDPE plastic and had great luck with the JB Weld branded stuff.
Do you know where I can get a longer one of these? I don't know how to look it up. I think I can maybe drill holes in cams adapter to match up to the car mount but the screws are not long enough.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I created a 12v socket that just lives at the bottom of the glove box to power the camera using a 12v socket add-a-circuit off Amazon. It is on the same fuse as the front 12v socket. Make sure you get one for the correct fuse size. The power cable hides neatly away behind various plastic trim in the dash.
I just bought a rearview mirror camera (Togaurd CE70) and it came with a cigarette lighter power adapter. I'm super green at mods but just installed a new OEM subwoofer box and amp so i'm feeling a little confident. Can you tell me more about the 12v socket setup under the glove box? I'm doing some guess work / googling and it looks like ill add it to the 15amp front accessory power socket fuse but i'm not sure what you mean by "12v socket add-a-circuit" and how to pick one of the many off amazon that will fit. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You don’t need to add a socket when they have adapters like these :
TOGUARD Mini USB Customized Hard Wire Kit 12V-24V to 5V for Backup Camera 10" Mirror Dash Cam CE60,CE39, Low Voltage Protection of Vehicle Battery Amazon.com: TOGUARD Mini USB Customized Hard Wire Kit 12V-24V to 5V for Backup Camera 10" Mirror Dash Cam CE60,CE39, Low Voltage Protection of Vehicle Battery: Sports & Outdoors It connects to the fuse box. If this doesn’t work with your particular camera try looking for one that does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts