Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
Nice! The new tires indeed give it a more rugged look! Especially with the GGM; you have a serious ready to go off road look! You did good! :)

I just got some new tires as well, but I went with Cooper Evolution highway tires in 225/75R16. I have stock suspension and stock EX wheels as well, and was thinking about going with 235/70R16s, but was concerned about rubbing. (Many of the people on this site using 235/70R16 also have spacers and/or raised suspension.) I'm glad you confirmed the fit with a stock set up.

I also just discovered that there is a 235/75R16 size out there as well; but that might really be pushing it! I think that size would throw off the speedometer more than I would like as well. As it is with the 225/75R16s, it's now 1 - 2 mph off compared to the stock 215/70R16's, which had the speedometer pretty much right on. (We have a lot of those flashing speed checkers around here.)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Nice! The new tires indeed give it a more rugged look! Especially with the GGM; you have a serious ready to go off road look! You did good! :)

I just got some new tires as well, but I went with Cooper Evolution highway tires in 225/75R16. I have stock suspension and stock EX wheels as well, and was thinking about going with 235/70R16s, but was concerned about rubbing. (Many of the people on this site using 235/70R16 also have spacers and/or raised suspension.) I'm glad you confirmed the fit with a stock set up.

I also just discovered that there is a 235/75R16 size out there as well; but that might really be pushing it! I think that size would throw off the speedometer more than I would like as well. As it is with the 225/75R16s, it's now 1 - 2 mph off compared to the stock 215/70R16's. (We have a lot of those flashing speed checkers around here.)
Thanks! :cool: When I do the struts, I might look into a 1-inch lift but then again it's such a small amount that some might ask "why bother?"

I saw your thread about the Coopers. Looks sharp and that's really cool that you mounted them yourself. You're right to be concerned about rubbing, though, since there are other make/model tires of the same size with issues -- the BFG KO2 and I want to say General Grabbers but maybe I misread. Your 225/75s are actually slightly taller than mine but not as wide.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, as a former tdi owner, congrats.
Nice to use tools when i want to, not when the car says to.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Your new rubber looks great! I love that tire.
Thanks! I was initially feeling some buyer's remorse having spent $600 for A/T tires when I could have gotten a decent set of H/T for $400 but I view this as an investment and I feel I could benefit and get more enjoyment from the A/T more than the H/T setup.

Well, as a former TDI owner, congrats. Nice to use tools when I want to, not when the car says to.
Yeah, my old 1.8T was a thrill to drive (hmm... 1.8T Element?) but it was a constant project -- took about 4 years of on and off work before I got the CEL to turn off and stay off. And there's no telling how many specialty tools and adapters I had to buy or make just to perform simple maintenance tasks. That's one thing I love about the Element -- I can take the entire car apart with nothing more than a 10mm socket and a Phillips screwdriver.

In other news...

I started the HVAC LED swap last night. The 3mm LEDs for the buttons arrived Monday and the 5mm LEDs for the dials will be here this coming Monday. Out of curiosity, I put the 3mm in the dials, too, to see if they would be bright enough and honestly I'm not sure that they are bright enough even for the buttons. I'm using 430 ohm resistors for the red LEDs and 470 for the white which puts the LEDs right at their max voltage. I don't want to risk burning them out otherwise yeah I could just go with a smaller resistor to increase brightness. When the 5mm LEDs - which according to the specs sheet are a lot brighter than the 3mm - arrive on Monday, I'll see how they look compared to the smaller ones.

After the HVAC lighting is done, I'm not sure to tackle next. The suspension work will be expensive and labor-intensive so I'm trying to knock out all the little, cheaper tasks on my to-do list. Summer is coming so I really want to make a Reflectix panel for the sunroof and pull the headliner out so I can line the roof with thermal insulation.

·
Registered
2003 EX AT 2wd
56 Posts
Those Falkens don't rub? Thats good news, I was considering a set for mine as well. And, if they fit on the Element with the older stock suspension that's even better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, my old 1.8T was a thrill to drive (hmm... 1.8T Element?) but it was a constant project -- took about 4 years of on and off work before I got the CEL to turn off and stay off. And there's no telling how many specialty tools and adapters I had to buy or make just to perform simple maintenance tasks. That's one thing I love about the Element -- I can take the entire car apart with nothing more than a 10mm socket and a Phillips screwdriver.
Turbo elements exist, and if you keep the Honda motors in them...they run.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm not sure what's going on but my MPG has dropped significantly. I think it's the new tires. The low fuel light came on with about 180 miles on the trip meter. At around 195 miles, I completely filled the tank, coaxing as much as I could from the pump. It was 13.4 gallons which puts me Element at around 15 MPG. That's atrocious! I expected a slight decrease with the new tires but this comes as a shock. Hopefully after the break-in period I'll start to see better mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on but my MPG has dropped significantly. I think it's the new tires. The low fuel light came on with about 180 miles on the trip meter. At around 195 miles, I completely filled the tank, coaxing as much as I could from the pump. It was 13.4 gallons which puts me Element at around 15 MPG. That's atrocious! I expected a slight decrease with the new tires but this comes as a shock. Hopefully after the break-in period I'll start to see better mileage.
Well are you remember to convert the numbers since you have a different size tire on there? The different diameter makes your speedometer and odometer useless without doing some math to get the actual numbers.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
My mileage has gone down slightly too, since I got new larger diameter tires as well.

Here's a useful chart from ramblerdan's web site:

Your speedometer is set up to use 215/70R16's. So per the chart, your 235/70R16's are changing the way your odometer records mileage by 3.96%. In other words, you can attribute a 4% loss in recorded MPG simply by the change to larger diameter tires.

There are other factors too, such tread design that could cause a little more friction, and so forth.

But, in my case, I'm attributing most of the MPG drop to the change in my driving habits. Since this corona virus thing, I have been staying home a lot more, the car is parked for days at a time now, a lot more short trips, I'll go 2 - 3 weeks between fill ups; all that is having a negative effect on my MPG.

Hope this helps! :)

61 - 72 of 72 Posts