Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about teenagers drving these??
I've bought brand new cars for my other children and I let them pick it out and now my youngest daughter has chosen this one.
It's under $20K at our local dealerships that I've contacted so that's a deciding factor but I want to know opinions on whether or not you'd let a teenager drive one, and about how they handle on wintery roads, etc..

Thanks, JR

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, all I can say is that the Element is meant for Gen X/Y

I plan on giving it to my son too when he gets to drive than I'll buy something very fun(S2000)

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote:6213c5d129="jnes"]I am 51 and I have bought 2 new cars in my life. Can I be your kid?[/quote:6213c5d129]

Adopt me too!

Actually... the Element is a good choice for almost anyone, as is the Accord. All depends on if they'll need cargo room. The Element is not a sport coupe, but it'll be safe in a crash and is very practical to haul things or people around.

You kid should love it.

I know I would.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow!!!! I didn't get my own car until I was 21.....and it was a used Chevy Cavalier that I paid for.....up until that point I had to share cars with my mom and brothers....hummmm.....I think I was born into the wrong family!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

The Element is the first new car I have ever purchased and I am 27. I guess I didn't realize that their were teenagers out there getting brand new cars.....just think of the insurance rates!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a safe, economical, and trendy car for your teenager. I gave my daughter my old car and ordered an Element for myself.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The car has passed with high marks in crash safety tests.

I bet the plastic parts are easily replaced in case of a fender bender.

It's fun and different to drive, yet not so sporty or powerful that it would be like giving your kid a Ferrari.

It's ultimately your choice - you know your kids, you know your household's rules - but the car does have some positive points for teen driving. I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should buy them a used Volvo 240 with 200K on it. They can't possibly hurt themselves in it. IMO, teenagers should not get new cars. They WILL hit something. They'd be better off if it's an underpowered tank.

Luckily, when I was a teenager, the only thing I did was back our '74 Olds Delta 88 into my Dad's tablesaw in the garage. (BTW, I still have the saw).

My 9 year-old will be driving in 7 years. I hope my '99 Subaru is still alive because that's what he's getting. Otherwise, he'll be driving an 7 year-old Honda Element!

Regards,
SOL

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have to concur that a teenager's first car is a wreck waiting to happen. Why waste it on a new car? However, being somewhat underpowered and safe, the E would be a great choice, if I had cash to throw away. Used Volvo or VW wagon would be my choice for a kid's first car. Something to make them thirst for a car of their own and be released from your evil shackles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow! My first car was an immaculate 1986 Plymouth Tourizmo that caught on fire one fine morning. I saved up all summer bagging groceries to get that car. My dad and uncle gave me $600 each and I used my saved $1200 to purchase the little beauty back in 1992.

Personally, I think buying a new car for a teenager is ludicrous. You are just asking for high insurance premiums and a teenager who thinks things are just given to them. But everyone lives there lifes how they want.

If I was a teenager I would love to have this vehicle. Hell I would love to have one right now. Based on the vehicle, I would buy it. It has a good rating on the 40mph collision test which is the best you can get. Comparable vehicles such as the Ford Escape did much worse.

·
Registered
273 Posts
one thing to also think about is,,, the element is a party waiting to happen... all that open floor space and four seats that turn nicely into a bed... so you say you have a teenage daughter,,, now think about what goes on in their mind... not a pretty site... :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's everybody's problem with a teenager having a new car. I just turned 19 a few days ago and I'm about to finish my freshman year at Penn State. Since we can't have cars up here untill sophomore year, and freshman year is pretty much over, my parents just bought me a loaded SOP Element. This is my second car. I used to drive an 2000 MDX but the lease ran out so now I have a new car for keeps for at least 5 or 6 years, or untill i'm sick of the E. I have never gotten in a car accident, never gotten a speeding ticket, never gotten in trouble in my car.

What's everybody's problem with us teenagers. You shouldn't be worried about teenage bad drivers, be worried about the 80 year olds who can't see over the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Misfit-

My husband were talking about this post on our way back from picking up our new mountain bikes.....and we said the EXACT same thing that you posted!

Freakie Deakie Do!!

BTW.....Erie542.....I don't think we have a real problem with teenagers driving new cars....in all reality we are all probably a twinge jealous, but then again at the same time I am glad that my mom had the sense to teach me a few life lessons when it comes to car ownership and working hard for something that you really want. I was 21 when I bought my first car....and I worked hard for it.....down payment and car payments.....and I also learned the reality of affording insurance for a 21 year old. I had to nix my first choice car (a brand new one) because my insurance payment was going to be 2 times my monthly car payment.....instead I ended up buying a used chevy cavalier.....because I could afford the insurance and car payment.

You should consider yourself lucky that you are being given the wonderful gift of a new car.....but you should also feel a little sad that you won't know what it feels like to work hard for something and finally reap your reward. There is another teenager who posts on this board and he worked since he was like 13 saving his money up to buy a car one day and he saved up $13,000 towards his E.

I am not saying this about you personally....so please don't be offended, but I feel that one of the major issues with teens or young adults these days is that they expect to have things handed to them on a silver platter....I know I am making a generalization....and I am by no means saying that all teens are like this....but I do see it as a problem for many teens and young adults.

I am just throwing in my two cents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Erie543, you are a very lucky lady. It is like StLouisPenguin said, we are a bit jealous. I am 27 and married and want an Element. But I need to pay off a couple of bills first. I work my rearend off to afford to live. I make decent money and don't blow it. I just got married last year and hope to start having my first kid very soon. Anyway enough with my life, I just want you to know where I'm coming from.

I have never been given anything expensive like a brand new car. I have worked for everything I have. My parents weren't very well off. I paid my own college education. I moved out on my own. I bought my first nice car at 22 - a year old 1998 Honda Accord SE. I still own it today. I have great satisfaction in that I did this all on my own. I never asked money from anyone. It is nice to know that everything I have done, the life that I have created for myself has all been on my own, without monetary support from my parents. It just feels good to break the umbilical cord and live my own life. Maybe that is why I think teenagers should work for their first vehicle. That way they have a sense of ownership.

Also, I am much more worried about teenage drivers than 80 year olds. Teenage drivers are by far the worst drivers on the road. They think they know everything but know very little. You will learn this the older you get. Youthful drivers insurance premiums are usually about four times as much as an adults.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi again. i know i must have sounded stuck up in my last reply... i am, can't help it; and i appreciate everybody being very nice about what i said, but just to clear up WHY i got my cars.

i've never been just given anything. My father grew up poor, and my mother grew up somewhat well off. My grandfather started a plumbing and heating business in philadelphia in 1938 and my father worked for him ever since he was old enough to be a grease monkey. Once he was old enought to make take over the business, he grew it into one of the formost, non-union, plumbing businesses in philadelphia.

as happens to most fathers, he brought me up as he was brought up...very modest. Although we have a lot, we don't show it. and i've never been given anything without working my ASS off for it. it's all about incentives. to get my first car, i had to pull straight A's (i was allowed one or two B's) throught high school. once i got my car junior year, i had to keep getting A's or else my mom would take away my car. Same goes for my new E. if i don't keep up dean's list, i loose the car. and keeping dean's list in nuclear engineering at the 3rd best school in the country for it is no easy task.

also, i've worked since i was 15. i currently work in the dining commons in east halls at penn state during the school year while working hard for my father on the job over the summer (and caddie on the weekends). i pay for gas. i pay for insurance (which sucks). and i pay for any accessory i want over normal stuff on my cars. i truely do know what it's like to work for something and i appreciate every single thing my family has done for me, financially, in my life.

by the way, I'm a man, not a girl.

·
Registered
92 Posts
[quote:e4fef55017="erie542"]
What's everybody's problem with us teenagers. You shouldn't be worried about teenage bad drivers, be worried about the 80 year olds who can't see over the steering wheel.[/quote:e4fef55017]

Remember, that us "adults" were 19 once too.

regards,
SOL

·
Registered
273 Posts
>>>>>I ended up buying a used chevy cavalier.....because I could afford the insurance and car payment....<<<<<
:quote from slp:

:lol: chevy cavalier :lol: :lol: :lol: Ummmm, yea, thats a great first car... :lol: :lol: sorry, but i rented one not too long ago, so i know your teen years must'a been hell... :mrgreen:
ok all you cavalier lovers, flame me if u must... :p

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I hated my Chevy Cavalier.....even on the day I bought it. Okay please forgive me because I was young....but my first choice car was a Ford ZX2....it was the first year they came out and I really thought it was smorty and compact (I was teriffied of driving a big car).....so I go pre approved through ford credit and went to buy it. I was having them locate a green one when I got call from my mom's insurance agent....my MONTHLY insurance payment was going to be $756!!!!! Heck....my car payment was going to be like $302.....so I had to find a used car that I could afford the insurance.

So off to car shopping and I bought my Chevy Cavalier....worst part about it is that my insurance agent told me I should get the 4 door model.....I just couldn't do it I had to buy the coupe.

I planned on owning my Cavalier for two years tops.....but then I moved to Chicago and it wasn't worth buying a new car.....parking is awful in Lincoln Park and cars get dinged all the time....plus you hardly drive your car in Chi Town....so I sucked it up....then I moved to St. Louis and got engaged.....so we had to save for our $16,000 wedding and their was no $$$ for a new car....so, I finally got my new car....just think if I had bought sooner I wouldn't have been able to be a proud E Owner.

To quote my mechanic back in Philly "Cavaliers are like belly buttons everyone has one"

I shutter everytime I think that I used to drive one.....and then I laugh about the fact that the Honda dealer actually gave me $300 for it on the trade in.....10 years old, 108,000 miles, no working air, no working interior electrical, no working horn, huge dent in the side from a hit and run, and a starbucks stained interior *sigh* those were the days!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Howdy!
I'm new on this board-- but I've been reading about the Element for a long time.
I'm 17 years old myself- and I just love the Element. I want it more than any other car. But I don't really expect it. I currently drive a 1994 Honda Accord EX- a very nice car- it's falling apart in a few places but I'm using my own money to fix it up. Here's what I suggest you do-- If your daughter really wants a new car-- make sure she gets a good job first. Make her pay at least for the gas and some of the insurance. I don't know anything about parenting seeing as I'm 17, so if I'm giving poor advice- I'm sorry. But, I think you'll feel better and she'll feel better if you at least split up the payments a little. Maybe this won't work if you've already bought your other kids new cars, or maybe she'll like it this way. But as said before- wrecks can happen- and they happen A LOT depending on where you are. At my high school, there's low speed collisions quite often.
Just a month after getting my driver's liscense, I was working for a production company. We had a very long film shoot, that lasted for 2 days and nights. On the freeway on the way home- at 6 a.m., having just called my mom to say I felt awake and could drive the 50 miles home- it happened. I fell asleep at the wheel and ended up ramming my Accord at 75 mph into an orange construction barrel. I had absolutely no idea this was going to happen- I just zonked out, out of nowhere from lack of sleep.
I think almost everyday about how I could have died, or worse hit another car on the freeway and injured or killed them. Wrecks can happen- whether you expect them or not. Now, the Element itself it very safe- but if you go through with this make sure your daughter is very familiar with all the rules of the road. And expect the unexpected.
With that being said, I'll probably drive the wheels right off my Accord, I love it so much. And hopefully by that time, I'll have enough hours of work from this production company I work for to pay for an Element by myself or mostly by myself.
I'm not sure how leasing or financing a new car works but it might require comprehensive insurance-- if it doesn't-- you might look into it-- I've had several hits and runs on my Accord in a little over a year of driving, and my Liability-only insurance can't cover it.
I hope this helps coming from a teen's perspective!
Good Luck.
Arnie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts