Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone posted a question about this, but it received little attention regarding the paint protection issue. Has anyone ever purchased Teflon protection for ANY vehicle? What did you think?

My dealer is offering it to me for the painted surfaces at a good price, and I trust this salesman because I have worked with him before. And with my back problems, I don't wax as often as I should. This protection is guaranteed for five years, so I am VERY tempted. The sales rep I work with said he didn't need to wax his last vehicle for four years, and that sounds very good to me!

Looking for experienced opinions--good or bad.

Thanks...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Now, I could very well be wrong... but I find it hard to believe that anything other than paint itself applied at a dealership would cover and protect the surface for any length of time.

But maybe I don't understand the process. Exactly how is this "Teflon" coating applied? You would think that if this stuff was so great, the factory would put it on all their vehicles...

·
Registered
338 Posts
That dealer add-on stuff is usually incredibily cheap and you pay about 100 times what it's really worth.

I wouldn't do it.

A couple years ago, I ordered a vehicle. I got a call that it was at the dealership but it wasn't ready yet (don't come over now). Of course, I went right over looking for it and not the salesman. It was outside the back service entrance and a guy was putting the $350.00 scotchguard treatment on the interior. He had two $8.00 cans of scotchguard and was spraying away and then stopping to smoke a cigarette.

Since then I've been told the dealer markup is incredible and to just say NO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bqbauer---

After working at a couple dealers since 1986 I can say to you-- Don't do it!! It's just a wax with a Teflon additive - not a bad thing if they are only charging around $10.00 :) but I think it's probably a little more than that?? When dealers sell those things they aren't selling the "product" they are selling a "warranty" against whatever the "product" is supposed to protect from, that is where all the money is involved - those warranties usually have a thousand loop-holes in them. You mention a bad back - ask yourself how much they are charging you for the Teflon and compare that with how much it would cost you to have a professional detailer put a nice thick coat of Carnuba on once a year or so. If there is a paint warranty involved, I can almost guarantee that the first time you have a claim, they will try and deny it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bought a new car a few years ago. The dealer tried to talked me into all sorts of things, including the teflon paint stuff. Well, reading things over, they require you to do certain things to your vehicle for the warranty to be in effect.

If I did all the things that the paperwork required me to do, to keep the warranty in effect, I would not need to have the warranty. They required I wash the car every few months (no problem), then I had to reapply this coating that they gave me (now it started to get to be a pain), and I have to have the car inspected every 6 months or so many miles, and I said forget it. As long you wash and care for you vehicle, you should not need it.

If you do want to get it, do read both the front and back, small print. Lawyers make a living creating contracts that you get stuck with. Trust me I used to make money trying to find the loopholes that these guys gave themselves.

When I worked for the NYS AG's office, we used to go after more and more car dealerships for these type of problmes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's like making a deal with the devil, you are going to lose, my friend.

See Gimmick; theivery; con; bait-and-steal; line pockets; fatten bottom line; excessive profit margin; consumer trap; rip-off; ill-advised; dealer profit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote:9b554a324e="Simon"]It's like making a deal with the devil, you are going to lose, my friend.

See Gimmick; theivery; con; bait-and-steal; line pockets; fatten bottom line; excessive profit margin; consumer trap; rip-off; ill-advised; dealer profit.[/quote:9b554a324e]

Simon is absolutley correct.
These are the dealers who would charge you for the air in your tires.
Do you think they would give first tank of gas if Honda didn't make them do it ? In fact they probably fill the thing just till the needle hits full and stop pumping. And that's why it appears that your MPG is improving with sucessive fillups...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts