Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temperature gauge is rising towards hot...it is about 1/4 away. So this is the events that has lead up to it. Hoping someone could give me some advice on what may be the problem. I'll be taking it in but some before insight would be appreciated.

So on Friday I left it running with my AC on to run into a couple stores since I had my dog with me and it was hot outside. When I came out my last store I noticed that the car had shut off and the AC was shooting out warm air. I turned the key to crank the it back up and it started and immediately shut off. I did it a few times and then noticed that the Oil pressure light was on, and the Charging indicator light was on. So I shut the car off and let it cool down as the manual suggests. I knew the oil was fine as we topped it off days before. So after cooling off I cranked it back up and it started fine, all the way home. After I got home and the vehicle cooled off I went under the hood. Opening the radiator I could not see any coolant in it and the remover was empty as well, so I added coolant. So it's been running fine up until today. I rode it awhile (ac on), and later on while in a drive thru line I noticed that the temperature gauge was moving past the mid line and headed back to hot. I immediately turned my ac off, and drove home. It never made it to the red zone buy about 1/4 of the way from it. After the car cooled off I checked the radiator again and it was still full and so was the remover so no coolant is being lost. Another thing I noticed when my ac was running today that it would not allow me to push out the ac buttons like moving it from just blowing straight to a circulator motion etc.

Any ideal what may be the problem here? TIA

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, B4u2love

Running out of coolant can ruin an engine; always keep an eye on your levels. But running on the high side of the normal range is no big deal. Your engine should not have turned itself off, so between that and the oil and low-charge light coming on, a mechanic should figure out what's wrong there as well as why you're losing coolant.

I hope you're waiting until the engine is good and cool before removing the radiator cap.

> when my ac was running today that it would not allow me to push out the
> ac buttons like moving it from just blowing straight to a circulator
> motion etc.
Not understanding what you're saying here. The selector knob wouldn't move?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Off the top of my head, it might be worth checking that both of your radiator fans are working. I think that if you hit the AC button, both fans should come on. Another test would be to let it idle in park (or give it a little gas to get the temp up), and watch for the fans to turn on when it gets up to temperature.

I've heard of the fans going bad.

Sitting in a parking lot at idle without moving would be an ideal place for it to over heat. When moving, the air coming in is often enough to cool the coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but I'm having the same fluctuating gage problem but the car is NOT overheating, both fans are working fine. I did the AC test and they come on no problem. is there a fan relay switch or maybe a failing thermostat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts