Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stumbling thru a Big Lots store today looking for an inexpensive way to make a canopy for the side of my Ellie. I ran across some cheap ($16) car covers and went "Ah..this'll do, I can cut it up and use the material". And it matches the Ellie color, silver.

The more I looked at it, a light bulb appeared over my head. The ends of the cover are "fitted" like a sheet, and the width seemed right, material strong enough, I wondered if it would hug the tailgate and I could make a quick set up tent.

I picked it up and when I got home, I VERY quickly hooked a fitted end under the tailgate. I bungeed it across the tailgate front to back width just as added security in the wind. It was the PERFECT width. I drew the whole cover over the top of the Ellie and fastened the other end under the wipers, covering the front window completely. The form of the cover fit over the sides of the Ellie just at the perfect width to cover all the side windows, with enough slack to get both sets of doors open with no futzing! With the doors open they make excellent proper uppers for the cover..instant sun shade/canopy!

I used the trick I have used for my old makeshift tent, a rainfly with bungies. I use the large spring style paper clips to fasten the material to the hydrolic arms on the hatch and it keeps all the material drawn to the side of the Ellie. Never had a problem with bugs, and was in a hellatious rainstorm once. Stayed dry too! I am not worried about the car cover leaking either, tho if it does, I will keep the fly in the camping box for a cover up, or..just close the tailgate and hatch!

The cover measurements are: 210"x70"x46". Big Lots is a one time shot, so I doubt if you would find them there for much longer. I am sure these are standard measurements for a large cover tho.

The only downside is that those with sunroofs would have to modify it with an opening. Otherwise, it looks sharp, like it was made specifically for this purpose, works great, and sets up in less than 5 mins.

I will post pics when I bring my camera home from work. I keep forgetting! Duh! I am going camping this weekend (AGAIN!) and will shoot the whole set up.
Here is one to start.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have them up on monday, or maybe even sunday nite! I rescued the camera, and am doing a 3 day trip this weekend, starting tonite! Yay! A mini vacation.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That looks pretty awesome. I have to admit, I'm a crap in the car sleep in the tent kinda guy, but that is a smooth setup. Where's your "kitchen"? And what's this camping w/ a TV sh!t? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kayakin' Dan ~ You do WHAT in the car? ;-) Geez..this is a tuff crowd! LOL!

here is the "kitchen". http://www.dreamlinks.net/~spldr/campkitchen.jpg

Someone shoo the dog out! Almost everything you see there came from Big Lots, except the table, stove, umbrella..and the dog. But she was cheap too. The drawers fit in the back of the Ellie behind the seats and all my little stuff goes in there. I keep other stuff in those blue bins (Tools, tire chains etc)

You have to be careful with Big Lots stuff though. Most of it is Crap, but everyonce in awhile, they get a closeout of good and durable stuff.

tapestry ~ Thanks! And the tuners are on the wrong side of that headstock..looks like not enuff of them either ;-) (If you look REAL close at the interior picture with the Flamingo, your hint about where I work is there)

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote:c7ab808c0f="spldr"]tapestry ~ Thanks! And the tuners are on the wrong side of that headstock..looks like not enuff of them either ;-) (If you look REAL close at the interior picture with the Flamingo, your hint about where I work is there)[/quote:c7ab808c0f]

You must work for Fender! I used to play a fender strat with a 67 blackface twin!

I Now play a customized ibanez 78 (modified like Jerry Garcia's)

I have a 77 vw camper still!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics. Your camping spot looked nice and everything looked real organized. Great Idea!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tapestry ~ Ding Ding Ding! You win a, er, lets see.. how about a pink pearl pickguard? No, that stinks..uhm..well.. Tweed seat covers? ;-) Nice axe! looks like you enjoy it too. The ellie is a great gig mobile, isn't it?

Thanks pookSter. "Organized" is not a compliment I hear very often!

·
Registered
8 Posts
spldr, great idea! Thanks for sharing!

I was doing some web surfing 'honda element camping" and stumbled upon THIS very thread.

And I bought a cheap car cover at Wal-Mart. :)

I bought a "size 4" but that is a bit looser than the looks of yours, so I'll recommend a "size 3".

For the potential tears at the top along the hatch edges.. I'm going to try those foamish-stryfoam-y plumbing pipes covers, that go over copper pipes, for insulation.
Cut these to fit the three sides of the opened glass hatch.

Again, thanks for the great idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts