Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning for a week in July in a tent in South Dakota (read HOT) at a family reunion. What is your experience with battery powered tent fans? Do they really put out enough air to be worth the money and space? I have a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 tent so there is an equal amount of mesh vs. solid wall.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i find that any small battery powered fan is worth it when it's hot. Walmart sells one for around $15, it's the movement of air that helps, it cools the sweat, and makes it tolerable for sleep. i also find the noise is helpful to drown out the loud people a few campsites away.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I have the hanging Colman one that looks like a flying saucer, and use it in the Element on warm evenings. It moves the air enough to reduce the stuffiness of the closed space. It doesn't do much to bring in cooler air from the outside.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I also use the small Coleman tent fan (C cells) that hangs from the rear view mirror in the E ("B1ke Box") and the larger one (D cells) that sits atop the center console in our Ford Van ("Padl Box"). They work well and are fairly quiet. Most of my tent camping is doing bike tours and neither make the weight cut off, although I did take the small unit with me on one trip. Found, that at least with the REI Taj-3 there is more ventilation then in the E and the fan is not as beneficial. Also on a week long tour you need to carry extra sets of batteries, which also didn't make the cut.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My wife and I have 2 - 2 D cell fans that are invaluable. They last for days on the batteries and push enough air to cool you on a hot day. I can wholeheartedly getting one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone in TX brings a small window unit A/C for their tent:grin:
This is new to me, I guess because I've spent most of my time north. Leave it to the Texans.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agreed on the Coleman fan. Appreciate having the LED light in it as well.

I run a clothing-bar diagonally across the ceiling in back, from suicide-doors to one of the upper LATCH points, and move the fan where it can do the most good depending on the outing.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hot? In South Dakota? You've got to be kidding. The last time I camped in South Dakota in July it got down into the 50's every night.
The last time I camped in SD it was 99 degrees. It is the "Land of Variety", however. So one never knows.

Thanks to al. l I ordered the Coleman stand alone fan so it may serve triple duty in the house, on the E's dash and it a tent.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The last time I camped in SD it was 99 degrees.
At night?

When we've been there it would be quite hot during the day but when the sun went down the temperature would drop like a rock.

I have a Coleman fan/light that hangs from the center of the tent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At night?

QUOTE]

Nope. Not at night. But I am in eastern SD and it still can be very hot/humid all night. Not unlike KS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fan for inside my Ecamper

Hi guys... I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a battery operated fan for my Ecamper. The hot summer nights are coming and I need a way to stay cool sleeping up there! Any ideas on certain ones and where to place it for maximum effectiveness?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hot? In South Dakota? You've got to be kidding. The last time I camped in South Dakota in July it got down into the 50's every night.
Depends, I'd say west river definitely can drop overnight (Badlands area especially) but east river can stay pretty hot and muggy.

Might I ask where you're shacking up?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends, I'd say west river definitely can drop overnight (Badlands area especially) but east river can stay pretty hot and muggy.

Might I ask where you're shacking up?
Newton Hills State Park just south of Sioux Falls. Close to our family roots. I haven't been back for several years and am looking forward to the camping experience and returning "home".

·
Registered
724 Posts
Newton Hills State Park just south of Sioux Falls. Close to our family roots. I haven't been back for several years and am looking forward to the camping experience and returning "home".
That's awesome, I use to camp all the time there. I was actually raised most of my life in Tea (and yes people, that's an actual town).

Enjoy it, though from what I remember it can get pretty damn humid at night there, not to mention the bug problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's awesome, I use to camp all the time there. I was actually raised most of my life in Tea (and yes people, that's an actual town).

Enjoy it, though from what I remember it can get pretty damn humid at night there, not to mention the bug problems.
Yeah. Hot, humid, bugs. Welcome home. I was in Sioux Falls from birth to teen age and camped alot, but never at Newton Hills. We always went west. We'd usually camp overnight on the Missouri at Pierre then go on to the Black Hills. There is so much good camping out there. I have been through Tea several times, often pheasant hunting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
At night?

When we've been there it would be quite hot during the day but when the sun went down the temperature would drop like a rock.

I have a Coleman fan/light that hangs from the center of the tent.
I've got this same Coleman, I think. It does the job in my car and the tent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts