Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be some interest in DIY small camping trailers here, thought people might like to see my build story on a tent topped camping trailer I'm doing. It's over on the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum. I call it an Explorer Pod, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Main color will be gray, with black and blue highlights. I'm going to be covering it in a roll-on bed liner material called Durabak.

At this time I'm driving a Subaru, although the flat, hose out floor feature on Elements has me seriously considering an upgrade to one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While that is good to know :sad:
The flat, rubberized floor is still much better than the uneven fold down seats in my Subaru

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, but it's not flat either. Has deep sills in the front, so it's really more of a vacuum out floor. Still, you're not dealing with wet or muddy carpet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, but it's not flat either. Has deep sills in the front, so it's really more of a vacuum out floor. Still, you're not dealing with wet or muddy carpet.
From the back of the front seats to the rear is quite flat and you could take a broom to that area. Sweep everything straight out the back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the additional info on the floor. A rubber floor would be a big plus to me for dealing with dog hair, the carpeted back of my Subaru is a real pain. A flat floor would make it easier to pack and not have gear move around.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Pretty cool little tent trailer....
as far as the Element floor, you can also place mats in them, I have an Elemat and after a camping trip I just pull it out, squirt with the water hose and put it back in --so it's like hosing out the back end in a way;-)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It is coming together well. Very nice!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, can't wait to get it finish and out camping in it.

Sounds like a removable mat is a good way to go for quick cleaning out without hosing down the interior.

I've seen a TimeOut Camper, looks to be a nice little trailer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greg, I could always build you one and send it out to be painted Galapagos Green Metallic so it will match you Element. This one will be light gray and black Durabak.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm curious, what are the dimensions of the sleeping quarters? Somebody mentioned following your build thread on ExPo, what is that? I would like to see more.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have used the durabak. If you wanna save a little money and have just as good results, Herculiner can be had from a local Autozone for about $90 a gallon. The only drawback of Herculiner vs. Durabak is the durabak has a UV resistant option and the Herculiner has a UV topcoat. Both need to use Xylene/Xylol for thinning and cleaning up. I did my panels in Herculiner and love the texture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LMntGuy1982, thanks for the info, I've actually used both products.

I like Durabak better because it has a much broader selection of colors, built-in UV protectors and it comes in both smooth and texture.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts