Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought a used Element beginning of the month and have had to fill up almost full tanks 2x since Oct 1st, averaging 15mpg.

I do drive a lot of city miles (Atlanta not the best place to let loose) but very concerned. Did and still do hear a grinding noise before purchasing vehicle, assumed it was the brakes AND dealer told me it will get better (had them check it, go figure) and have not yet checked air filter/plugs as suggested in other posts. Could it be the brakes inhibiting ride?

·
Registered
143 Posts
definitely could be brakes. I would tell the dealer to fix it.

If you feel compelled to fix it yourself, I'd check the caliper slide pins and make sure they are properly greased.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Thanks, I thought mine was bad @ avg 22-23
Not sure what the experts here will chime in with but good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd definately check the brakes, for fouled plugs, bad wires (are you getting a service required idiot light?- I'd wonder about the ignition module, too, esp if it backfires at all), proper tire inflation- which could be way off, but not really look it- the air filter, and what sort of oil is in the crank-case (5w-20 is quite thin as compared to 10w-40).

Is the overdrive properly engaged? The button on the shifter below the release button can turn off the highest gear for traction (and if it is diseganged you will burn gas like no tomorrow! What RPMs are you running at at highway speed- it should be about 2700-2800 for 65, if it is like mine- if it is above 3000, you aren't engaging the highest gear- press the button and see if it makes a sudden difference! If not... and the RPMs are high... you've got a transmission problem).

I average 27 MPG Highway in my 2006, but in city driving I still get about 25.

Hope this helps...:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
i drive also an 2wd 03. about 16 mpg in the city, Highway 24 mpg. it's a realy slurpy !!! everything u wrote is perfect on my Element. accept the mpg.
i hope a good maitenance wil help. the guy at the gas station already knows my creditcard number ............. :confused:

·
Registered
551 Posts
After a drive in the city or suburbia where you use your brakes normally, get out and put your hand NEAR the brake calipers and see if you can detect one or two hotter than the others. Also at twenty or so mph grip the steering wheel very lightly (but enough to control it) and apply the brakes to see if it pulls off to either side.
se

·
Registered
16 Posts

Yeah...it is probably bad plug wires........ERRRR.....NM Elements don't have plug wires.

OK, would it be preferable to say there MIGHT be a bad electrical connection somewhere in the ignition system? The plugs get power from the electrical system somehow- and that means (a) connection(s). Connections can corrode and go bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts