Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
NAPA sells an Orbital that will fit. First one that lasted pretty well, but also wasn't $200 like they are now. Bought a red top, now wondering how long I can go, has been about a year.
This Optima 34/78 red top went in Oct '05 at 75 K . . . it is now on it's 4th 0 deg F Winter @ 155 K and all is well :)

I also ditched the OEM cables and fabbed up new ends with better clamps.

Don't know if an '05 date code puts it in the "good" batch or not :?

I also have a Optima Blue top (on sale) in the Subaru; OEM battery died after 3 years. Installed this past April '09 and headed into it's 1st winter cycle; so we'll see how that goes . . . :| If it dies early, I'll probably look at the Excide/orbital and also give up on Optima.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The biggest problem is that the Optima design fails to an open circuit without notice, whether that failure is five weeks or five years after purchase. Just [boom], no battery, and you can't jump-start with what has become, functionally, a brick.

Normal sandwich-plate designs will fail with one or two shorted cells, leaving you crippled but still somewhat operable.

Current QC issues or not, after five years of living with a Blue Top I advise strongly against Optimas as a primary battery. Let the audio guys mess with 'em, but start your car with a conventional Pb-HCl design.
Did you ever take advantage of the deep cycle (marine) specs on your Blue top ? I went with the blue top/deep cycle because I have a wiring scenario that allows it to re-charge through the 7 pin trailer wiring from a 3 stage/dual output charger in a small camping trailer (and vice-versa - allows the trailer to run from the car battery as a "back-up"; trailer has its own deep cycle).

I have already killed the new Blue top completely with an accidental key-in/blower-on-all-night scenario and it seems to have resurrected with a slow 3-stage (non alternator) recharge just fine. :oops:

I had a yellow top originally in the E (before the red top) that failed exactly as you describe - 1 year of service and a step function from "good" to "bad" :|

It seems most, if not all, of the premature failure reports against Optimas here on the EOC, are against Yellow tops which seem to be more targeted to deep cycle (audio)/2nd battery applications and are not really pegged as "starters" like the Red Top or Blue Top M.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.