Honda Element Owners Club banner

Who's gonna go?

• Oh hell ya! Good pier fishing here so count me in!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I love looking at dorsal fins any Great Whites spotted here?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! I want to drive up the Big Sur coast (but I'm afraid of heights)

• Primo Ocean Kayaking huh? OK twist my arm.

• I'm just gonna hang out read a book and smell the salt air.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I suppose so - exactly how big are these Elephant Seals?

• I like to stroll on the beach at sunset - guess I'll go too.

• Hoping to see some whales - if I don't can I get a refund?

• I want to go visit Hearst Castle

• No way Jose! Not me! - I get nose bleeds and sea sick even on land

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THANKSGIVING CAMPOUT
San Simeon State Park - California Central Coast
November 26 – 29

"Pre pack your Element , have a pleasant Thanksgiving Dinner with family and friends, then hit the road and head for the coast for some exceptional camping fun!"

The Park:
San Simeon SP consists of two campgrounds Washburn and San Simeon Creek.
Washburn has 70 sites for tents - the camp is primarlly used as a overflow area if the San Simeon Creek campground is filled to the rafters.
It sits on a hill above the other camp and offers a nice ocean view, but is less developed with chemical toilets and piped water.

San Simeon Creek has 113 tent sites, coin operated showers, flush toilets and piped water.
Hearst Castle is only five miles up the road, so San Simeon Creek is a natural for visitors planning to take the tour.
Advanced reservations are required for the Hearst Castle tour.
The camp is set across the highway from the ocean, with easy access under the highway to the beach.
San Simeon Creek, while not exactly the Mississippi, runs through the campground and adds a nice touch.
The best hike in the area is from Leffingwell Landing to Moonstone Beach, featuring sweeping views of the coast from ocean-top bluffs
and including a good chance to see passing whales.

Reservations:
None required. After October the park goes on a first come first serve system.
But the place is mostly empty that time of year.

Other Accomadations;
Several nice hotels, motels and restaurants just down the road from the campground on PCH.
There’s a default option at Slosport’s Backyard Motel in San Luis Obispo if a tsunami or typhoon occurs.

Things to do and see in the area:
Hearst Castle Tours
William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach
San Simeon Pier
Ocean Kayaking
Pier & Shore Fishing
Tide Pool Hopping
Whale Watching
Point Piedras Blancas Light House
Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery
Cambria
Pacific Coast Highway & the Big Sur Coastline
Morro Bay
Wine Touring
Incredible Photo Ops

Weather:
Although this is a coastal access campground on California’s Central Coast,
it won’t be beach weather this time of year - so leave your swim suits at home.
Weather is usually good this time of year but be prepared for anything – could be cool or it might be warm.
The only thing it won’t do is snow.

Wudda ya think?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Hearst Castle

William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach & San Simeon Pier. (you can fish off it - no permit required)
Excellent ocean kayaking - paddle under the pier - go out to the kelp beds and hang with the sea otters.

Big Sur - the drive begins at the campground. You can't beat this!
90 mile stretch of coastline between Carmel and San Simeon, blessed on one side by the majestic Santa Lucia Range and on the other by the rocky Pacific coastline. It's one of the most romantic and relaxing places on earth, often misty and mysterious.

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery a few miles from the campground... just look at those guys!
(see the lighthouse in the distance?)

Point Piedras Blancas Lighthouse - Piedras Blancas (White Cliffs) awesome at sunset.

Tide pools galore - thousands of sea creatures to see in them

Magnificent Morro Bay - kayakers delight, great seafood restuarants and dives - you'll love it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I might be totally in considering I am an unemployed graduate seeking work and dreadfully poor so not able to take part in Black Friday sales. I'll see if Adam is down to go as well :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Magnificent Morro Bay - kayakers delight, great seafood restuarants and dives - you'll love it!
After the last Humboldt EOC Camp-out, Mz Jet & I went Kayaking in Morro Bay, it was awesome, spent the day on the water chasing Sea Otters.
But, we found out later that they have an incredible number of Shark sightings in the Bay because of the seals, otters, fish and turkeys. (that would be me).:D

I would do it again, Mz Jet wouldn't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My neck of the woods!

I'd say bring a bathing suit. The water at the north end of the bay is shallow and stays pretty warm.
It is a beautiful quiet place and I bet we could see the night sky really well.
Ted and I could drive up in an hour.
xo, Marilyn

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do you like seafood?

May I suggest doing lunch at Giovanni's in Morro Bay?
It's right on the waterfront and get this.... they got "Fish-on-Stick" here! :shock:
Maybe buy some of their fresh caught fish and have a group seafood dinner back at the campground.
Or we could do both.
Wadda think?

Giovanni's Fish Market and Galley has superb views of Morro Rock and the bay.
We should do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Web Site: http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Most all of our EOC Camping Fool campouts have been to lakes, mountains, rivers and deserts.
It's time we go "coastal" !!!

Here's a series of videos that details some of the drive to San Simeon and further north into Big Sur from Ventura.
This is the SoCal route and if you can't make it at least you'll be able to see what you'll be missing through this virtual road trip.

But don't be stupid, if you've got the time off then you should do this with us.
Nothing but tons o fun!

The folllowing youtube videoes are in HD and are best viewed in the full screen mode

LA to Buellton (it actually starts in Ventura): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3GRoBedkkY

Buellton to San Luis Obispo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq18FxnTIVQ

San Luis Obisop/Morro Bay to San Simeon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQlzyzkLgdA

San Simeon to Jade Cove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1StVxezYiE

Gorda to Big Sur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQIapknTgQ

Big Sur to Monterey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9uw1EsOGQ

The only thing better than this is turning around and driving back to the campground in San Simeon.
The southbound view is completely different and even more dramatic!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'd like to go, but my boss doesnt give us our schedules until a week before, and I'm too new to request time off. :rolleyes: I didnt even know what my schedule was tomorrow until I got to work today...

BTW, the hearst castle tour is cool. If I remember correctly, you can wander around the visitor center (right off pch 1) without needing a ticket-- lots of gift-y shoppes and a little historical info. The tours differ dramatically with each tour guide. We ended up jumping from our regular tour to another one mid-tour because the first tour guide was all hollywood gossip and the other one was more architectural/historical.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am GOING!!!
You can't stop me!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bit of a bummer News Flash

Dang!
Unanticipated circumstances have developed with East Coast relatives converging at my sister's in Simi Valley for the holiday.
This was news to us - but it means we won't be making it to San Simeon and we were sooooo excited about going. :-(

You guys are in for a grand time at San Simeon - wish we could go with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts