Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARGHHHH!!! I have installed a new double DIN head unit and everything works so far - great tip about grounding the parking brake wire as I don't ever want to play a DVD in the E but I couldn't access the bluetooth menu until I grounded it...

Now to install the backup camera and I need to find the reverse sensor wire. Other than going under the fuse panel I wanted to try easier locations.

I have been in the center console and behind the glove box and I cannot find a green and black wire. In my 2008 LX I have green wire with gray stripes. Could that be it?

Also could I wire the reverse sensor to the backup lights in the back? I am running the camera wire anyway.

Thanks
John
New Element Owner getting way more familiar with removing panels...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was never happy with how a customer wanted me to install his back up camera set up but I did successfully tap into the reverse light wire for power to trigger the reverse option to show on the screen. So you can do that.

Another option would be to sign up for a subscription for alldata. You can buy a subscription for your car for $25 a year if I remember right. It will cover everything that your car has including wiring diagrams. It is not a bad idea for a home mechanic.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i believe there's a connector behind the sub enclosure on the passenger side that has the reverse wire.
at least that's what i was going to use when i get around to installing a reverse camera. i have a 2004 w/ manual transmission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have that cover pulled off and also the glove box dropped and no green/black. There is green/gray, but not black. I also went under the steering wheel today (ugh - the fuse box location is not good!). I see a green/black but it has two gray bands on it. Tomorrow I will try to hot wire to the back up lights and if this works will just call it a day and start to hide wires.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
the GRN/BLK (circuit M06) should be on pin 15 of connector 454, which is the 17 pin white connector inboard of the 10 pin gray connector underneath the sub enclosure on passenger side.
incidentally, the GRN/ORN parking brake circuit (circuit 207) is on pin 16 of that same connector 454.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately with a CAT 4 bearing down on us here in Brevard County, I had to suspend any work on this whilst prepping for the oncoming storm. Don't know when I will get back to it but many thanks for all the responders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hurricane Mathew passed 20 miles off-shore and minimal damage to me and mine. Today I found time to just hot wire the backup lamp and my camera works. I appreciate the info especially the pins and wires of the last comment but the wire bundle is so tight in there I just figured it was easier to continue down the path I was on. Many thanks to all that responded. Next task is to pull more panels and hide wires - then put the dash back together.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i never did get around to doing this or installing my camera. i have to find the same wire as you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the wire behind the subwoofer . It was a lot easier than dealing with the one by the fuse box. There's 2 plugs piggybacked and its the one that is on the bottom. It was easy to figure out which green wire with a test light and shifting into reverse.It was green but I couldn't see any black. There wasn't much slack so i stripped about 1/2" and soldiered to that. Thanks for the help.

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Hi, am putting in a Kenwood 2DIN w/BU and sure hoping I can find the connector - and wire - you found. Pulled-off the SW panel to find two (2) sets of piggy-backed connectors - both sets on the passenger side. So far I can't find a wire that behaves. When you say 'behind' the SW, do you mean inside (my hand won't fit), or might it be more to the side? Sorry for all the words; took a pix, but ...

Thanks for pondering,

Ben
2010 EX

·
Read Only
9 Posts
Which connector again?

Hi, I know it's been awhile since you did this ... regarding the magic 'green' wire you found. I took my SW panel off and found two sets of piggy-backed connectors (and a bunch of others). Couldn't get any of the wires to cooperate as you describe; will keep at it. But, for reference, are the connectors 'behind' the SW or might they be on the passenger side of the SW area? That's where I've been searching. Thanks for anymore intel you can provide.

Ben
Huntington Beach
2010 EX

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I know it's been awhile since you did this ... regarding the magic 'green' wire you found. I took my SW panel off and found two sets of piggy-backed connectors (and a bunch of others). Couldn't get any of the wires to cooperate as you describe; will keep at it. But, for reference, are the connectors 'behind' the SW or might they be on the passenger side of the SW area? That's where I've been searching. Thanks for anymore intel you can provide.

Ben
Huntington Beach
2010 EX

Post #13 by RamblerDan and post #20 by digitalicecream in this thread also helps describe how to do it.

This worked for my 2009 Honda Element EX AWD with A/T.
You have to pop the glovebox out as if you were going to replace the cabin filters, then find the reverse relay. There's a retention pin that holds it in place, but once you pop it off, you can snake the new wire into place and slide the relay back on with no soldering necessary (it's a pretty snug and secure fit). Worked like a charm for me and it's been in there for a few months now with no problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
the GRN/BLK (circuit M06) should be on pin 15 of connector 454, which is the 17 pin white connector inboard of the 10 pin gray connector underneath the sub enclosure on passenger side.
incidentally, the GRN/ORN parking brake circuit (circuit 207) is on pin 16 of that same connector 454.
Here are pics of My 2004 EX.
As nacranym said, The reverse wire is on the passenger right side BEHIND the subwoofer. It's a piggybacked 17 pin white connector that is on the inside.
Access was pretty easy after the sub cover is removed. As mounted, the wire bundle leaving the connector towards the rear of the car is attached plastic pop loop kinda thing. The piggybacked connectors are connected the same way. To give more freedom of movement I used a panel tool to pop both free.
Once the connectors are free you can slide them apart for more access. The pin you are looking for is on the inside row (towards the steel mounting post). It's the third down from the top as shown in the pic.
There's more of a service loop on the opposite side of the connector that's shown in the picture (towards the front of the car), so piggybacking the wire is easier there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts