Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one might take a minute to unwind, so buckle in.

Some of you may recall my shelter dog, Leila, a boxer with a minor weight problem (she had none). She has grown, and is doing very well. One minor set-back we had with her was that she was too small and frail to spay, and so we had to wait on her weight. It's been slow going, and I am okay with that. She is otherwise a very happy, healthy dog, just on the lean side. Lately, she has rounded the corner and is rapidly putting on muscle, to my delight. She's great.

You may also recall the demon bear on a chain in my neighbor's yard. He's evil and wants to kill everything he sees. Calls to the cops just get a "yeah, yeah, yeah." and nothing more. According to my neighbor, who lies like a rug, he has attacked at least one dog at least twice and he bit an intruder (Who my neighbor later shot, yet no police ever came, the dog is still there) I don't believe the intruder bit. I saw the dog he attacked, and that's real.

So, Leila has apparently gained enough weight. Every male dog in the tri-state area is hanging out in my yard. Neighbor has been bitching because Cujo is going nuts over all these dogs around. Yesterday, I saw him unchain his dog and head for the hill behind our house. Over the hill is the bottom-land and then the river. The bottom, which I own a large part of and so do about ten other people (not including my neighbor), is mowed for hay, and so is about a ten acre field of grass. Dog heaven and we all share it. I knew what he was doing. He had told me already he was going to kill all the dogs that didn't belong. He was about to unleash the demon on my dog's poor suitors (a beagle, a lab, and a c0cker spaniel, real rough characters). Like I said, he has quoted the dog warden repeatedly about how he has the right to shoot strays in his yard who are off their chains.

I grabbed my shotgun and headed for the hill. Now, I didn't yell, scream or make threats. I walked up all friendly like and stood at the top of my hill looking at my yard and watched. He was just on his side of the line with his dog watching the others in my yard. He says

Come to help?

Yep.

Well shoot 'em.

I can't.

Why not?

Cause you are still holding him, but I can once you let him into my yard.

They walked back to the house. I called the guy who owned the one dog, I thought he had a tag on his collar and it turns out that he did, and his neighbors up the street owned the rest. Two of the three are back how and the third is still on the lamb. So far, no fatalities have been reported.

Disclaimers:

1. The gun was empty. I had no intention of shooting his dog or any other.
2. It's illegal to shoot a gun in the area where we live. We are still in the city limits, ergo no dog warden ever told him any such thing.
3. I am writing a letter to his landlord about all of this.
4. My old little beagle is going to live with my in-laws for a while, as she is the most vulernable of my dogs (She lives in the garge and a fenced run because of her incontinence and general stubborn-ness)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Kung - What a PITA. Flat-out tell the neighbor's landlord that the neighbor is the landlord's liability problem. Great to hear Leila is doing well.

Can you now get Leila spayed?

Spaying greatly decreases females' chances of mammary cancer, so sooner the better.

And I'd look into security camera for the backyard. Perhaps there is a motion-sensor version.

I've been blessed with nice neighbors and am just now giving thanks for that.

Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Tough situation you have there.
I would recommend consulting an ASPCA rep. in your area. They have very well established connections to the police and even when and where they don't, they know what loopholes and approaches to take to get the most bang for their buck.
I would advise putting some security cameras up around your home, this Jack-A sounds like the type of moron to do something (more things) that are stupid and you NEED it on camera or it's just your word versus his. Problem is that right now you are just labeled as a cranky neighbor by the police and they will continue to do so until you show them (and the schmuck's landlord) that he is a problem.
Lastly, (I'm probably gonna catch flack for this one) either load the shotgun or leave it at home. An empty firearm is a threat that can not be backed up, but can be prosecuted over. Bring a camera (video or regular) with good high speed film and record the actions of the *********** dog, no matter how bad it gets. Turn in the film or video as evidence to the police with copies going to your local homeowners association, the ASPCA and several local news outlets and lastly the landlord of putz-boy. Remember, you're fighting a war of perception, you need him to be viewed for what he is, it may be horrific, but that may be the only way to win.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lastly, (I'm probably gonna catch flack for this one) either load the shotgun or leave it at home. An empty firearm is a threat that can not be backed up, but can be prosecuted over.
Yeah, but it's hard to be shot with your own empty gun

and

It would have taken me too long to get the shells from upstairs while the gun was down.

Next time, I won't get the gun at all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Can you now get Leila spayed?

Spaying greatly decreases females' chances of mammary cancer, so sooner the better.

Oh, you don't have to sell me on the idea of spaying. You had me at "no puppies". I love dogs, but I have enough. Actually, being that she came from the shelter, they could take her back from me if she has puppies, due to the contract I signed. I think I'm good because the vet defered her, but she was supposed to have been spayed within the first month I had her or I void the contract.

She will be spayed, but the vet now wants her to finish being in heat before we do . . . yuck. She's still below the target weight the vet set (probably not for long, we seem to have burst through some mystical doggie weight barrier), but she said if she was in heat she could be spayed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many people these days advocate letting a female dog go through one cycle before spaying. I'm no expert, but OP and his vet have a plan and that's good enough for me.

As for that idiot...wow. We have similar laws about discharging guns in my area (within a certain distance of a dwelling, it's illegal) and that guy has some nerve making up his own rules when he isn't even a property owner!

Thank goodness you took a stand.

Poor Cujo next door probably never even have a chance to be normal.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, but it's hard to be shot with your own empty gun

and

It would have taken me too long to get the shells from upstairs while the gun was down.

Next time, I won't get the gun at all.
Probably a good choice. My intent was primarily to say that if you're neighbor took offense he could well be armed and use your shotgun as an excuse, leaving you the victim with no form of recourse.
If you do get the camera system, I also recommend some form of ultra-sound emitter to annoy your neighbors dog to no end. Capture the resulting activity and send it in. That might be the easiest course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts