Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a camping setup that I wanted to meet the following requirements:
-No permanent modification to the E
-Retain maximum passenger / utility capability
-No noticeable increase in weight
-Sleep 1 excellently, 2 comfortably
-Sink with running water and drainage
-Shower
-Cooler
-Auxiliary Power
-2-4 hours Overnight air conditioning (I live in FL)
-Fan
-Small table/countertop
-Closed-off storage space (cabinets)

I don't have it 100% complete, but I'll take pics after I do. Until then, here's my best attempt at a descriptive look of the design:

So far, I've removed one of the two rear seats and built a skinny little cabinet/countertop unit. It contains a sink made from a 9-can cooler, so it can double duty as the sink and as an icebox. The drain from the sink goes down under the removable floor in the back. Attached to the sink are two interconnected lengths of 4" PVC piping that provide about 3 gallons of water storage. The pump is connected under the countertop to a sprayer instead of a faucet. I figured you could just spray into a cup or the sink and a normal faucet was unnecessary. There's a 3 foot length of hose that allows you to pull the sprayer nozzle to the back of the E or out the right suicide door for showering and cleaning. A deep-cycle battery is kept inside the cabinet unit (vented to the outside) which powers 3 12v sockets, the water pump, the oscillating fan, and some low-draw LED lighting that's mounted under the counter overhang. The lid to the icebox/sink has a small 12v fan and a vent built into it to allow use of the icebox as an overnight ice-fed "air conditioner" - yes, I know they're not efficient, but it can provide some relief at night. In addition to the icebox, a rubbermaid seatback thermoelectric cooler rides on the back of the passenger seat. A hide-a-mat is stored behind the remaining rear seat to allow for sleeping of two on the rear compartment floor with the seat up, or one could choose to just sleep on the rear seat as honda intended. (Intended to break our backs!)

OK... Phew... I think that's it. With this setup, there's plenty of space left over, especially where the foot room for the right rear seat used to be. So yes, if one wanted, a porta-potti could be lugged on board to make this setup 100% self-contained. I prefer to do my pooping elsewhere and use that space to put an additional 5-gallon camp shower and some food.

Well, let me know what you all think so far, and PLEASE... if you camp in your E, or have a setup similar to mine... Share ideas! I looked for ideas for a long time before I did this and came up with only one or two crazies that had attempted this. Are there more out there???

;)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics coming...

I swear they're coming... keep the zombies away for a few more hours!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well,,,,, It's been MORE than a few more hours. I can't keep the zombies up here at bay much longer. They are wanting to head to I-95 South.
desperate

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PICS - Sorta

Yeah, so I was in my lousy office all day at the University today and yesterday and didn't get any pictures yet. I'm going to pull Ellie into the garage and see if there's enough light in there to take a few shots... But until then, I've photoshopped up a blueprint for you all to ponder...

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pics!

Pics, it was dark and I took them in the garage, but... screw it. At least you know my cabinetry-esque contraption exists...

PS. I've seen the blog post you guys found previously... Very excellent work- I would have done something similar if I wasn't afraid of losing my cargo space.

Knock knock... Who's there? Cargo. Cargo who? Car go "beep beep".

·
Registered
74 Posts
thats crazy awesome. way to be unique.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys...

If I get ahead of my busy schedule over the next few weeks, I'll do my best to take better-lighted and higher resolution pics. I'd say the iphone in the garage barely cuts it.

Also, since this little setup is done, I hope to take a few weekend trips and use the E as my hotel room... Anyone wanna do a St. Augustine, Islamorada, or Destin trip ? Know of any cool places within a few hours of Orlando?

Next up: (hopefully) operation / action shots!

·
Registered
11 Posts
imust admit, iwas abit sceptible at first. after seeing the picts im inpressed. nice work i see a fridge in front of your cabinet behind the passenger seet.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
That really looks great! :cool: Can't wait to see the action shots. Drew:smile:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Thats cool! I bet it would work really well with the Ursa Minor pop top-- sleep up on the roof with a kitchen down below and a ton of room for storage! What about a stove? If I'm camping, I'm more concerned about it raining on me and my food while I'm cooking..:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts