Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello........

I have created a subwoofer to match the center space between the 2 front seats.

This automotive interior is a challenge to upgrade and good sound has escaped me for over a year now. I have been running with this set up for the past 9 months now. Using a great 8" sub, the JBL GT804 , I built a ported box to match the subwoofers specs exactly. The emergency brake stays in the factory spot, and the sub box was designed in the remaining space.
Though, probably not a new concept here on the forum, this is a much better alternative to an upgraded factory sub in the stock location:

1. A bigger sub in the factory location makes the dash rattle.
2. The sub is in an extremely small space; equals lower low end output.

The JBL performs very well in this ported box.
The sub box is designed to stay in place with the armrest down.
The padding of the seats secures side to side movement.
Below the sub box is a 1/2 piece of MDF covering the opening where the center console used to be.

Strengths:

Great output for a small 8in driver.
The subwoofer fits tight with the seats. This transforms box energy to the seats where you sit "tactile". You definitely feel this sub.
The sub woofer is centrally located , bass is output in separate directions.

Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Awesome Idea!!! The only downside I see is when the seats are folded flat it looks like the box would be above the seat line.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wasn't there a concern with the airbag sensors or something that I read on here when you put a sub in that location? Don't get me wrong, I think it looks AWESOME!!!! Nice work!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not disturbed any of the wires or sensors around the location of the subwoofer. Sensors are below the bottom seat cusion. Air bags are on the other sides of the seats (door side of seats).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I wonder if it'd be possible to build a box like this but for a 12" sub that possibly fired to the side. Maybe have the sub built into the box so that it wasn't visible? I dunno I have the idea in my head but can't describe it well.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wasn't there a concern with the airbag sensors or something that I read on here when you put a sub in that location? Don't get me wrong, I think it looks AWESOME!!!! Nice work!!!!
That was always my concern. According to the service manual, that little box with the yellow wire going to it right behind the parking brake is a "rear safing sensor". I don't know what it does, but I wouldn't want to put a sub on top of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts