Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's Do the Time Warp Again!

Pretend it is the year 2013, ten years in the future, and you have been called in as a consultant to Honda for the "10 Year Anniversary Edition" of the Element.

Let's further pretend that technology is pretty darned advanced in 2013, so that some of your wilder dreams could come true for car features. Note: I don't think that means that your car comes with a clone of Cindy Crawford to drive it for you. Sorry, guys. :wink:

Keeping the basic ideas of the Element the same, what would you like to see enhanced, omitted or otherwise changed in 10 years? What would you build into an Element of the Future?

I can't wait to see what all us forward-thinking Element owners come up with.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
First and formost, power rear windows and sunroof. (if these come out next year I will trade.) Navigation system folding out of over head console. Adjustable clearance. ie. 6.9 for city, 9 inch for off road with one touch of a button. Full size spare off the back. Another 40 hp with better millege, still using the four cylinder.

Not very hightech, but I really would love these changes. In fact if I could I would do them now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope that cars of the future (not strictly the Element... but as long as we're dreaming about future E's....) have some pretty nifty computerization. While I don't think we're going to quite get to "Minority Report" style display technology in the next 10 years, look where we've gone in the last 10! (I think I was playing games in 256 colors at 640x480... and liking it!)

That said, I would really like to see a windshield-integrated heads up display (think plasma TV that is partially transparent) that was highly integrated with the rest of the car. It'd have all the gauge cluster info, of course, but also be integrated with a GPS navigation system that could overlay useful data while eliminating irrelevant stuff (like all the little sidestreets in a neighborhood not pertinent to your path) so that it wouldn't be too distracting. At night, the system could switch to a night vision mode that would enhance the brightness of the area you were trying to look at without trying to make the entire view look like daylight. (It could use some sort of eye tracking sensor to do this, or use its own object tracking sensors to follow the road and illuminate any hazards). Of course, given that 10 years isn't THAT far away, we'll probably see these in Mercedes and BMWs before we see it in the Element.

One thing that I would like to see in the Element was tight integration between the car and your personal data, especially your music. I'd like to not even have to carry around my iPod with me. It would wirelessly connect to my computer when its parked at home and download new music/videos/etc so that it'd be available whenever I wanted to access it. I actually don't think this is too far away, but we shall see!

Oh, and one neat thing that I'd really like to see is variable-opacity windows, kind of like those fancy glass bathroom doors you'll occasionally see on the travel channel. Flip a switch and you're looking at a completely unobstructed view all the way around... if the sun gets too bright, just turn a knob and suddenly your car is wearing sunglasses. Of course, the car could also do this for you automatically!

·
Registered
106 Posts
a retractable roof. lets say, 3 variable-opacity (like the crystal doors aykew is talking about) panels, the front 2 nest under the rearmost one.
pillarless doors, for both the front and suicide, all with rolldown windows. how cool would it be to open our elements up like a jeep, but still have a solid roof?
and a wireless enabled element computer. hopefully a mac. and it will find my music files and store them. nothing, not even future-ipods, to carry around.
I like this topic. unfortunately, looking back, not a great deal has changed in the last 10. with the exception of the $70,000 and up cars, our interaction is about the same.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:a8da662872="bush555"]"Full" side-rear doors (a la the X Concept) that open independently, and allow rear passengers a pillar-free view.

[/quote:a8da662872]

Amazing photo. And yes. Much better. Way cool.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd like to see repelling bumpers on the front and back. You know, get too close to something and it pushes back, kind of like a tractor beam on the Enterprise. I like the push a button and the windows get darker idea. The more you push, the darker they become. A fan on the bottom to more fully anchor the E to the ground when going around corners real fast, ala the early race Porsches which were called "Sucker Machines" because the used the fan as a vacuum to hold to the ground. Side body panels were very close to the ground to allow for the suction to help.Keep the suicide door but have a double use for them. When one approaches the speed of 200mph for the improved freeways of the future (they will have to be improved, wont they???), and one needs to brake and stop suddenly, the suicide doors open and are used as air brakes as well.

Finally, the engine. One word: Nuclear! :shock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
My wish for the Element of the future is that there is no Element of the future. I wish Honda would decide that 2003 or 2004 woud be the final year. That way I'll have as unique of a vehicle in 2013 as I do now.

I would love for people ten years from now to go "What is that?"

But hey, can't keep a good thing down. I'm sure the Element will be around for year to come :( :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd love a front sunroof, and a little more grunt out of the same engine, and an intergrated towing package with a 2K lb capacity. Everything else, I'll do myself.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i guess i could really use a microwave for heating up nachos while stuck in traffic... as far as wireless technology,,, heck i'm already glued to my lap top, if anything the enjoyment i get in my element is the escape i feel from the modern vision... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote:9584ae6920="bush555"][...snip...]
[/quote:9584ae6920]

i'd settle for the concept x. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
65 Posts
How about making it a convertible, like the old GMC Jimmy?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
flying car by now and I am getting a little impatient. Oh yeah...1st grade was back in '68...She's just damn lucky I don't remember her name.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cloak, I remember my 6th grade teacher (this is 1959.....ok?) having us make a mural of schools of the future. We had flying cars, floating schools and teachers or students who communicated by television (before computers). Well, the communication by TV (ala computers) has arrived, so the floating schools are not too far behind. Flying cars? Well Cloak, hurry up and make one!! Have an Element with high velocity fans in the wheels and an adjustment so the wheels will flip to the horizontal and the fans will turn on and be ajustable kinda like a Harrier Jump Jet jet nozzles. Or, better yet, install Harrier Jump Jet nozzles!!

Ger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow... 1959... you guys must be REALLY ol- :twisted:
hee hee... im only 13...

Well they should fix all the minor things, add a built in computer (like someone else said), TV, FULLY customizeable seats (ie some kind of really flexable yet strong, water proof, etc.) All the small things fixed would make it nicer then having jet engines for wheels.

Actually, forget what I said. Make it the Back to the Future car!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:4cb9e6bf09="Kayakin' Dan"]flying car by now and I am getting a little impatient. Oh yeah...1st grade was back in '68...She's just damn lucky I don't remember her name.[/quote:4cb9e6bf09]

LOL Dan. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why wait,.... we have most of the technology now! Lets get on with it already. 2005 at the latest. I would like to see more digital dash instruments. this is made for 20-30 somethings right? they are tech savy! Even though older people love this thing as well..... I want a moonroof in the front and a cover to go over both the front and back moonroof to keep the sun out. I want a compass!!!!! I would like an option for built in dvd system and a mp3 player right in the dash! I like the idea of of a firewire or usb cable to download music to play from my handheld or laptop! I also want a stronger engine with better gas mileage! Hybrid would be ok with me as long as it had some power behind it. I would also like the idea of having drink holders that were functional - more functional that they are now with the double armrest. I also would like to see a better roof rack like the nissan exterra has... so I can strap on the canoe to go to the mountains! How about auto door lock buttons on the other door!!! AND windows for the back doors instead of the push outs.... and might as well throw in the back window that can open.
There I think I am done.... I love my Blu"E" and if we could add a manual 6 speed stick and a push of the button when we dont feel like driving.... traffic E turns into an automatic!!!!!!
Am I missing anything??????

Batman

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would like to see a proactive vehicle ready to rage against the dominant paradigm while maintaining its forward thinking approach to conceptualization

or

better ground clearance

I can't decide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote:39aed5b45c="Microbus"]I think a poptop camper like the old VW Bus' had with a bed would be sweet.
[/img][/quote:39aed5b45c]

SCWEEEET! Still have my 77!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts