Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[RANT]
I can't help but notice alot of threads and comments lamenting the seating capacity of "just" four. Everything about the Element goes against the grain of other vehicles in its class: seating capacity is no different. Look at all the SUVs scrambling to throw in a cramped 3rd row! Even the minivans are attempting to squeeze another person it there. Now really think about it:

Next time you drive to work, or on the weekend or evening for fun, look at the car around you. How many people are in them? JUST ONE. Sure this is a terrible waste, but most of the time - the driver is alone.

On evenings and weekends? Typically, one couple per vehicle. They go out with other friends, but the couples all go home seperately.

Families? Yes, I've often seen one or two kids in a car with mom and dad. That's three or four.

5+? It's just rare. Even at kids' sporting events, most arrive with one or two other kids. Rarely is there a van filled to capacity bringing in the entire team. Families with more than 2 kids these days are the exception.

Family reunions and church events, yes I've seen each car loaded up to to hilt. That happens 2 to 3 times a year. Is having that 5th seat or 3rd row worth it for such a limited use? That's up to the consumer, but this one says "No." Most of the time there is someone begging to use their van or 3-bench SUV, because they subconsciously need to excuse their surplus of seating capacity.

My wife was torn between the Element and CR-V. She loved everything about the E - and I couldn't figure out why she was considering the CR-V and Saturn Vue. "It only seats four." I asked her how many times she had five people in her sedan. "Umm.... never." I've done it maybe 5 times over 2 years. Frankly, squeezing 3 people to a bench is not fun anyway - especially for long trips. She agreed, we'd rarely even have 4 people in the car, and bought the GG E.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone - sure there are some people that really do need more seating capacity. But most people over-estimate their need for it. Those people are welcome to purchase another vehicle. They can buy an SUV with a 3rd row made for the legless, or a dreadful minivan - the best of which seem to be overpriced (q.v., Odyssey, Sienna).

Honda isn't stupid. This is America - we like our space. Further, we have wider butts than we like to admit. The rear seat of the Element is its greatest selling point - ample leg room and passengers' have their own cup holder and personal space without knocking knees. Heck, even better is that since you won't have a back seat companion in most cases, you can fold the seats completely out of the way!
[/RANT]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nicely reasoned. I agree heartily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The third row seats from my Olds Silhouette which have been living in my basement since I got the car would agree.
Peter

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Hey, my friends all have 2-seaters (and I include a Prelude in that group) so four gives me tons more room. If I need a people hauler I can rent one for the rare occaisions when 4 isn't enough.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We were supposed to get an E and a CRV, but my wife couldn't bear giving up the extra seat of her minivan. I used all of the arguments you did and more, but she insisted she needed to seat 7...Our family only has 4 butts I'd tell her, and she had this whole song and dance about having to take the kids friends places and I'd tell her if she only had a 5 seater, she wouldn't have to do that then and all this other great logical reasoning of why she didn't need a 7 seater.
So now we own a SSM 5spd E and a SSM Odyssey...Hey I like regular sex as much as the next guy!

·
Registered
504 Posts
We have five in our family, me, my wife, a 20 y.o. son, an 16 y.o. daughter and and 11 y.o. son. At first the four seats made my wife say it's out of the question, no way. We sat down and thought about it - we've had five people in our car only 2 times in the last year, and once was my daughter's high school graduation. That cinched it - we got the Element.

If we need more seats, I will rent or borrow something bigger.

Kayakin' Dan, - you are a wise man :lol:

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:5d57f0eb8a="Kayakin' Dan"]
So now we own a SSM 5spd E and a SSM Odyssey...Hey I like regular sex as much as the next guy![/quote:5d57f0eb8a]

:::::WILD GIGGLING!::::

You guys crack me up sometimes. I'm sure the other women on EOC also appreciate the camraderie. Maybe you guys also like hearing the women's POV sometimes too!
:wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I dig the rant.

For family transporation, my E will do. There's just 3 of us: Mom. Dad. Me.

For transporting a gang of giggling girlfriends of mine, I can do the E, and someone else can drive her car, or we can borrow my mom's car - she's thinking of getting an Isuzu Rodeo.

And of course, most of the time it will just be me and sometimes my dawg in my E.

:wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
The most people I've ever crammed into a car was 6 and that was an old Hyundai Excel I had in the late 80's. 2 people in the front (I was driving), 3 in the back and 1 sitting on the lap on one of the people in the back seat. It bogged the car down REALLY bad, but we made it 100 miles to Hampton Coliseum for a concert. I agree with Staggie, if you want to carry more than 4 or 5 people at once, go to your local rent-a-car place and rent the Grand Caravan or Windstar or whatever...I usually ride alone, but in the VERY RARE case I carry 3 or more, the E will handle it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts