Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When I was shopping for my "E", I thought, and still do, think the blue dash is hideous.

So I painted mine flat black. I just could not live with the blue dash. I can tolerate the other blue items. I may get around to painting the door handles black also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
round

Thanx for your inputs.

I noticed something while looking at this image. The Element has a boxy exterior shape and it looks like Honda intentionally made everything in the interior round. Round vents, radio knobs, environmental controls, tweeters, hazards button and the round cluster instrumention.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
No offense taken as a "blue dasher", and I like the flat black look you have created too!!, but I have a concern/question about that flat paint: If you drag your fingernail across the new paint, you are making a light mark on the paint right? Flat black might not have enough finish to paint the dash, maybe a semi-gloss black?

None the less, what you have in the photo looks great!:D

·
Registered
523 Posts

When I was shopping for my "E", I thought, and still do, think the blue dash is hideous.

So I painted mine flat black. I just could not live with the blue dash. I can tolerate the other blue items. I may get around to painting the door handles black also.

May I ask why you still have a blue carabiner on your key chain? Hope you have some of that paint left over. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also have the blue dash and I hate it. But the car was at an amazing price thats why we said the hell with it.

I would like to do the blue panels to black.

But it would look even worse when the seats are bluish and don't match.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
point well taken

No offense taken as a "blue dasher", and I like the flat black look you have created too!!, but I have a concern/question about that flat paint: If you drag your fingernail across the new paint, you are making a light mark on the paint right? Flat black might not have enough finish to paint the dash, maybe a semi-gloss black?

None the less, what you have in the photo looks great!:D

Point well taken. You are correct. I may consider doing it over with a semi-gloss black. As noted I have to wipe the dash down with a damp cloth to get rid of dragging marks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no ring no write

May I ask why you still have a blue carabiner on your key chain? Hope you have some of that paint left over. :D

The "blue carabiner" just happens to be something that I grabbed to try as a new key chain. My old yellow computer magnetic tape "no ring no write" ring was my key chain for years but I find that it hangs too low and always touching my knee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good deal

I also have the blue dash and I hate it. But the car was at an amazing price thats why we said the hell with it.

I would like to do the blue panels to black.

But it would look even worse when the seats are bluish and don't match.

I too was in the same boat. An "E" w/ a blue interior was not on my radar but I got a good deal on it. For me, a good deal does not mean I am going be looking at that blue dash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2nd try

I used Krylon Fushion Satin Black (semi-gloss) vice the flat black this time. Just can't seem to be able to get the piece above the glove box to take
the paint evenly. Must be 3 years of under lying user wear.

Flat Black

Semi-gloss Black

·
Registered
557 Posts
The reason why it's uneven is because you are impatient with the paint. Spray one line across, stop, then back, always in the same direction, do not cover it all in one coat, just a light "dust" then do it again, and again, and again, then get a piece of wet 300 grit sandpaper, sand it, then dry it and get all the dust off, then paint it a few more times, over and over, till it looks right. (flat black is hard to get spray lines out of, but it will go away) Once all is smooth, spray down a crystal clear clear coat a few times and finish it off with a piece of #000 steel wool to get rid of any tiny bumps, and viola! It is beautiful.

But if you don't want to do all that, just spray it with gloss black or a glossy dark grey, the spray lines will be un-noticable.

Also your unfinished dash will be impossible to clean in that state. It will always look "dusty." You can also try "plastidip" next time you want to see something in a particular black before you get to the paint stage, you spray a couple even coats, and it will give you a black rubber coating on the piece, and with a lot of pressure, the coating can be peeled off with no damage to the piece you "painted." Plastidip can also be a permanent solution. You can use it on wheels, dashboards, speaker grills, etc... etc... you will become addicted and plastidip everything you own pretty much.

·
1,049 Posts
TjankMjaster said:
Holy Toys, Batman!! Umm,.. but those are Ridgeline stickers,... are we aspiring to be something else? Sweet set up!

You are correct the card on the left and right are Ridgelineownersclub, but if you look closely you will see the one in the middle is an EoC card.

I give love to all our sister clubs.

and

I would LOVE to own a Ridgeline!!!

but

I'll have to settle for 2 Elements....FOR NOW.

:D

BTW, TjankMjaster if you want to look at some more pictures of my Element search here on the boards they are on several threads or click on my cardomain page located in my Signature.

·
Registered
56 Posts
looks siiick. Before reading that it was a flat black paint job, i thought you wrapped it in black suede.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
WELL I DAMN WELL LOVE MY BLUE DASH!!!!:mad: THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A FBP ELEMENT!!!!

But the again....I'm partial to blue.:lol:

My golf bag is blue trimmed in black, my duffel bag and tote bag I use to go on trips are blue trimmed in black, my favorite ink pen is blue and black, my office is blue trimmed in black,......YIKES!!! I'm scaring myself!!!

I really should line up all this blue and black crap and take a picture.:lol:

EDIT: Hey I just noticed! This Web Site is blue trimmed with black!! No wonder I like it!!

·
Registered
40 Posts

You are correct the card on the left and right are Ridgelineownersclub, but if you look closely you will see the one in the middle is an EoC card.

I give love to all our sister clubs.

and

I would LOVE to own a Ridgeline!!!

but

I'll have to settle for 2 Elements....FOR NOW.

:D

BTW, TjankMjaster if you want to look at some more pictures of my Element search here on the boards they are on several threads or click on my cardomain page located in my Signature.
Sweet Ride,.. Thanks for the pics link.

I'm with you. The Ridge would be my first choice,.. I'm guessing I'll settle for an E when it's time to pull that trigger.

Javert, newer paint (semi-gloss) looks better I think than the flat paint. Nice work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts