Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy today and I have emailed several dealers letting them know I will buy at dealer invoice + destination charge.

They will still keep their $400+ holdback.

I'm willing to travel 8 hours in any direction to get it, I'm from Ohio.

Has anyone here gotten this kind of deal or better?

OR

Do you think I'm asking for too much/not enough?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
I'm getting my 2WD EX Manual at invoice, but only because one dealer offered it at that price ($990 less than my next best offer, and I had offers from 6 dealerships). I'm halfway through my 6 week wait for delivery (it's being built this week). I'm not sure if the same deal would have been workable had I wanted an auto or 4WD. You may also have better luck if you're looking at a DX--they're not selling nearly as well as the EX's around here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I paid invoice in AZ so it can be done. I am sure some folks will be able to get them below invoice soon as well. Just stick to your guns. Bargaining at the end of month or end of quarter is always a good time.

- CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
these guys all have the right idea- figure out how far you are willing to drive- then mass fax everyone with what you want, how much you are willing to pay, and when you are going to buy- let them fight among themselves for your business- if some dont reply they wouldn't give you a good deal anyway!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I paid $300 below invoice and I didn't even have to pay the bs Destination charge...... I believe i got a good deal... No the best deal but a very good deal.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mr Clown, there must be more to your story than you are reporting. If you paid $300 below invoice (believable) and they knocked off the $460 destination, then they lost money to sell you a vehicle. I just don't see that happening unless something was wrong with your E, they charged you an arm and a leg for paint sealant/fabric protection, accessories, customer fees or something. Maybe they held money on a trade in, something. The $460 destination/delivery charge is not BS. It's a real charge that we pay on every vehicle. Every manufacturer in the country charges this as far as I know. Have yet to see one that doesn't anyway. So please, if you don't mind explaining more exactly which E you bought and what you paid. I'm not saying this isn't true, so please don't take it that way. I would just like to know for my own satisfaction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
supamann,

Do all Honda dealers pay the same invoice price for the Element? I'm just curious since different Honda dealers quote different invoice pricing. I noticed that the big volume dealers often quote lower invoice pricing than the lower volume dealers. Thanks!

- :shock: Ed

·
Registered
220 Posts
All dealers pay the same exact amount for Honda's. Shipping is the same everywhere and the large volume dealers don't get any break for being large volume dealers. This might affect how aggressive they are in their pricing, but if you ever have any question as to the actual invoice price, you can usually find it at Edmunds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
supamann,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I now have a couple more questions for you. What tends to be the average dealer holdback on an Element? Also is it true that dealers add up to a 1% advertising fee? Thanks!

- :roll: Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Mike. My wife and I are considering an Element (4WD EX auto in Shoreline Mist with several accessories - stepsides, keyless, leather steering wheel, carpet, fog lights, roof rack). We're lifelong Honda owners (as well as Land Rover) and we've been attracted to the Element for some time now. We've done quite a bit of research and feel that they've been out long enough to let the "early adopters" find out what sort of issues are present.

So, our question to you - since you seem to be so candid here - is about invoice. Edmunds.com doesn't list invoice for a 4WD EX automatic (or for any Element model that we can find). What is the invoice on that vehicle specifically? We've been working with two local Honda dealers - one of which we bought a new Honda from four years ago. We dealt exclusively via email and just walked in, signed papers and drove the new vehicle home. That's our preferable method. In contacting the second dealership, they gave us a price of $20199 plus $299 "dealer handling". We declined based on the additional charge since we feel that's a bogus fee. We're basing that on the info on this page:

http://edmunds.com/news/column/lowdownlowpayments/59651/article.html

Can you tell us your opinion on that?

Thanks for your time. We appreciate any info that you can provide.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also, how difficult are dealer swaps. In other words, the Honda dealer we really want to deal with (the one we've dealt with before) doesn't currently have the right color/model in stock. The other dealer does. How do dealers feel about doing swaps? Does it put us at any sort of disadvantage?

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote:cd76603240="mr_ed"]supamann,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I now have a couple more questions for you. What tends to be the average dealer holdback on an Element? Also is it true that dealers add up to a 1% advertising fee? Thanks!

- :roll: Ed[/quote:cd76603240]

Holdback on all Hondas is = 3% of the base MSRP (or MSRP minus $460 shipping/handling). This is true on every model. So for example an EX Automatic 2WD Element = $19,910 minus $460 = $19,450 x 3% = $583 in holdback.

Dealers usually don't add a 1% fee for advertising, but advertising does affect the final negotiated price. This is why we usually deal from invoice up and rarely negotiate holdback. It's good information to know, but usually doesn't help much in terms of negotiations.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Invoice on the 4WD EX Auto is $19,722.04. The price you were quoted is an excellent price, but the extra $299 is completely bogus and nothing more than profit. So they might as well say the prices is $300 higher than their quote. You might be able to negotiate this out and if so, you have an excellent price on the Element. If you can't negotiate this fee out, then just get your best qoutes from the surrounding dealers (always ask for the total price with tax, tags and license and ask for a complete breakdown as well). You might still find that the dealer with the handling fee is the lowest.

As for finding your ideal vehicle from another dealer, that is completely up to your dealer. This also depends on what your dealer has available to trade and what model you are looking for. A 4WD Automatic EX should not be hard to find. If you want a 5spd 4WD EX, it will be much tougher and if you want a 4WD EX with SRS, even tougher. Depends on a lot of things, including the relationships your dealer has with the other dealers (in terms of trading) and how willing they are to find you the right vehicle. I've done a 50 state search before to find the perfect vehicle for a customer and I'll tell you it's no picnic, but the smiling faces at the end make it all worth while. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Extremely helpful, indeed, Mike. Thank you SO very much.

All we're looking for is an automatic EX 4WD in Shoreline Mist. The only dealer installed items we want (from the previously mentioned list) are fog lights and running boards. We're comfortable putting the rest on (with the help of info we've seen listed or linked in these forums).

So, thank you again. You provided the info we needed and gelled a suspicion that we had.

Have a great 4th.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your Welcome and Happy 4th of July to you. Keep us posted on the outcome of your purchase.

·
Registered
60 Posts
[quote:cee99cb09b="supamann"]Invoice on the 4WD EX Auto is $19,722.04. The price you were quoted is an excellent price, but the extra $299 is completely bogus and nothing more than profit. So they might as well say the prices is $300 higher than their quote. You might be able to negotiate this out and if so, you have an excellent price on the Element. If you can't negotiate this fee out, then just get your best qoutes from the surrounding dealers (always ask for the total price with tax, tags and license and ask for a complete breakdown as well). You might still find that the dealer with the handling fee is the lowest.

As for finding your ideal vehicle from another dealer, that is completely up to your dealer. This also depends on what your dealer has available to trade and what model you are looking for. A 4WD Automatic EX should not be hard to find. If you want a 5spd 4WD EX, it will be much tougher and if you want a 4WD EX with SRS, even tougher. Depends on a lot of things, including the relationships your dealer has with the other dealers (in terms of trading) and how willing they are to find you the right vehicle. I've done a 50 state search before to find the perfect vehicle for a customer and I'll tell you it's no picnic, but the smiling faces at the end make it all worth while. Hope this helps.[/quote:cee99cb09b]

Hmm. I thought this was all a simple case of supply and demand. We really wanted our EX Auto Shoreline Mist. ALL dealers in our area had 2nd stickers posted. They didn't really seem interested in trading because of the demand. I've yet to hear of anyone get LESS than MSPR for an Element. So, you pay more for a "hot item". Again, we couldn't wait to become new Element owners. Guess that makes us the best type of customers, eh? Final price 21310 + dest chg +TL. Had to have it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, don't feel left out or like you paid way too much to be one of the first to drive an Element. Pricing is certainly subject to supply and demand and over 90% of our Elements still sell for MSRP. We don't have any silly extra stickers, but I'm sure the dealers that add these extra charges wouldn't get away with it if they couldn't. It just takes a little more patience to get a deal with these dealerships, because most of the time their cost (if any) is very minimal on their "add-ons".

BTW, $21,310 is MRSP for the Element 4WD Automatic, already including the $460 destination/delivery, so if you paid the $21,310 plus an additional $460, you might have a bone to pick with the dealership selling you the Element.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had my SOP E for 5 months now and I shopped around at every dealership in the Tampa area. I eventually got mine at Gatweay Honda in Tarpon Springs "2WD EX" with side steps and wheel locks for 19200 then there was tax tag and title. But getting it for 19,200 with side steps and such made me very happy. MSRP=19,910, side steps $530, wheel locks $50 total MSRP was 20,490 so 1,290 off I thought was pretty good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts