Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been an EOC member for about a year now, have responded to a few posts, shared a few photos, but had yet to make any kind of personal introduction until now.

Shopping for a different kind of vehicle was initiated last year when we got news of a baby on the way. At the time, I owned an old 2000 Civic SE and an S2000 (2003). The Civic was loved for its ride and custom this-and-that, but with over 400,000 kms along with the expected slew of age-related traits, it was time to find a more reliable daily driver and long highway commuter. We tend to visit family in Montreal (4 hours) and/or Carleton Place (2.5 hours) every three weeks, and are heavy packers.

Despite the many options on the market, the Element (on paper) seemed to meet my interests: good safety and reliability ratings, lots of cargo space, options for a potentially decent audio set-up, options for four-wheel drive, and some unique exterior and interior features. The fuel mileage and horsepower ratings were the two observed shortcomings, but as with all things, you can't have it all.

On the shorter choice list, there was the Subaru Impreza hatchback (liked for its hatch, all-wheel drive and a chance to try-out that boxer engine), Subaru Tribeca (spacious, controversial looks but with a beautiful interior dash layout), Mazda RX-8 (a chance to try the smooth Wenkel engine and compare ownership experiences against the S2000, arguing that it was a 4-door with a spot for a car seat!), Mazda 3speedor 6speed (boring styling but compensated by power via forced induction). Anyway, in the end, the Element just seemed like the best match considering finances and our lifestyle.

My sights were initially on the 07-08 version of the Element; this incarnation provided the better safety rating and few extra horses. The front end was also preferred over the 09+ versions. Finding one of interest in Toronto, I made arrangements to make the 6-hour drive down. Unfortunately, despite only having 40,000 kms, the body was neglected and one of the back seats was missing (all week the dealer was trying to source a replacement). Momentarily thinking that this trip was wasted, I did another quick search on Autotrader and found an '09 not even 15 minutes away at a Honda dealership. After a thorough walk-around, it wasn't perfect but fit my other criteria. Haggling for price was quite the ordeal....but it was worth it in the end.

Throughout the last year, I've really come to love this cross-over. It has carried us on countless road trips, hauled bathroom vanities, bikes, compost bags, soil, and precious cargo. I like keeping it clean but enjoy the fact that I can take it off-road as well. And at the same time, offer me the joy (well, and expense) of modifying it to suit my tastes.

Here is a list of the items applied to this car so far:

- Yakima Double-Down 4 bike rack (part# 8002424)
- Hidden Hitch Class 3 receiver and T-one harness (part# 87506 and 118465)
- Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 (part# 8007193)
- Yakima roof rack with 66" long cross bars, gunwale brackets and 44" fairing
- BugFlector II hood deflector and ventvisors
- Aries Side Running boards (part# 206004-2)
- OEM floor and cargo mats
- Summer set: 17" Akita AK-6 rims and Falken ZE-912's (225/60 17)
- Winter set: 16" OEM rims with Michelin X-Ice 2 Latitude (215/60 R16)
- Speakers: JBL GTO 628's in front, GTO 638's in back, and GTO18T's for tweeters
- Blacked-out front grill (OEM nighthawk black pearl)
- A few decals in support of some brands I've had good luck with/grassroot initiatives

Feel free to have a look at some more photos of my ride by searching by my user name or via this link: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=948

All in all, thanks for keeping this forum going. Despite being discontinued, I think it's great that so many people are investing and continuing to learn about this model. I am also sad that Honda has discontinued this model. Hopefully one day there will be another....

Future work: back-up camera, 3M film protector for door bottoms and parts of the roof, double-din receiver, tinted front windows, non-OEM fog lights...etc. If a turbo set-up was available for auto trannies, I'd explore that as well...

Cheers, and thanks for reading. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Super clean ride. I love the second shot!!!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, MB! The second shot was from a drive out on Moore Lake Road (Ontario) to explore an abandoned railway station...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts