Honda Element Owners Club banner

241 - 260 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got back from an 8 day road trip and my grandma called me. "Did you see that J Element boy is going to put a supercharger on that V6?" "Sweet" I replied. There was about a minute of silence, I know to wait her out but finally said "Do you want me to bring over some popcorn?" "And some beer" she exclaimed. "This is going to be fun to watch!"

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
I will soon have what I need to start drawing up the adapter plate! Fingers crossed the supercharger arrives in one piece. UPS reports that it is 48.75lbs!! Hoping they bolted it to a wooden frame before boxing. Don’t think it would fare too well with some packing peanuts in a box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
I will soon have what I need to start drawing up the adapter plate! Fingers crossed the supercharger arrives in one piece. UPS reports that it is 48.75lbs!! Hoping they bolted it to a wooden frame before boxing. Don’t think it would fare too well with some packing peanuts in a box

Looks like you will get your supercharger before me. I just bought my new fuel pump, fuel rail, new spark plugs, extra. A while back I was able able to get a used merc racing aftermarket tensioner bracket so everything lines up. I considered a lighter aftermarket crank pulley but after talking with my tuner he advised sticking with OEM, something about the harmonic balance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #246

WHEEWWWWWWW! It arrived in one piece! Looks good and is complete! I also got the ZZPerformance supercharger gasket. Which I’m using to design the adapter plate.

I’ve also got the butterfly cover panel from the intake manifold to work with as well. Now I just need to get the plate drawn up and print some prototypes!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Looks like you will get your supercharger before me. I just bought my new fuel pump, fuel rail, new spark plugs, extra. A while back I was able able to get a used merc racing aftermarket tensioner bracket so everything lines up. I considered a lighter aftermarket crank pulley but after talking with my tuner he advised sticking with OEM, something about the harmonic balance.
I would stick with the factory crank pulley for sure. The harmonic balancing material will keep your crank from destroying your bearings. Awesome that you got all those parts!

·
Registered
518 Posts

WHEEWWWWWWW! It arrived in one piece! Looks good and is complete! I also got the ZZPerformance supercharger gasket. Which I’m using to design the adapter plate.

I’ve also got the butterfly cover panel from the intake manifold to work with as well. Now I just need to get the plate drawn up and print some prototypes!

Nice! I am guessing that is a used blower? Has it been rebuilt?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Hasn’t been rebuilt. The eBay auction I got it from showed 106k on the odometer. I’m planning on giving it fresh oil at least. Only six bolts and a belt will fasten it to the plate so if it needs new bearings or a new coupler I can remove it easily to service it.

However if it feels like it isn’t spinning freely I’ll give it a once over before installing it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Just finished measuring and drawing the plate that will replace the one on the intake manifold and serve as the base for the supercharger to sit on. Had to countersink the holes so it won’t interfere with the supercharger. Going to print and test fit before expanding the plate and measuring where the mount holes for the supercharger go so it will align the pulley with the rest of the serpentine stuffs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow, so cool that you can fabricate your your own plate! Hope the blower works well. I am encouraged it will clear the hood as I was a little concerned for my future supercharger setup.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
I’ve got the plenum cover designed. Now I just need to figure out the placement/orientation of the supercharger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I got the supercharger pattern drawn up and printed a prototype. It’s so big I had to print it in six pieces lol!

I laid in on the supercharger and noticed some things were off. I laid the gasket on the supercharger and found there to be some things that were off. Bolt holes not being exact, ports partially covered, etc.

I reached out to the company that makes these aftermarket gaskets to see if I had the wrong one or perhaps a bad day at the manufacturing plant. I roughly sketched in pencil the discrepancies shown into he photos and sent them to them. I was assured that it was the right gasket and the extra materials blocking things won’t be an issue. I can just cut out the area if I want and finish the holes. Kind of annoying, especially since those imperfections transferred over to my drawing and subsequent print ! I want things to be better so I’m going to have to re-measure and draw. Might even laser cut my own gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is going to be the most insane Element.
I had seen the first part of this thread a month or two ago, and later saw the clip of you driving it around on Youtube. I did not realize you weren't even done yet. A supercharger on top of the V6 is going to be mad. How much HP do you expect to see from it? My only concern would be getting so much power on the E's boxy chassis that it's no longer friendly to drive. I guess people have done high HP builds before though.

I'm currently planning on having Minitec do this swap for me in my 04. I'm only a few hours' drive away from them, and I while I think I could pull off the swap myself given enough time to learn along the way, time is at a premium and my mechanical skills are not quite up to that level yet.

You've said a couple times you don't think the kit you got from them is very well-done. Can you elaborate? And have you provided any feedback to them on things to improve? PM me if you prefer to go into details elsewhere.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
The 04 shouldn’t be a problem. I can only speak to my experience and that if a buddy of mine in Savannah Ga that did two Miata v6 swaps with their kit and harnesses. His was a nightmare and I was their science project. The only thing they could assure me was that the passenger side mount, adapter plate and flywheel adapter would work. However, even after telling them exactly what my setup was they sold me the kit knowing that there was no half shaft adapter in existence (which I made myself) and the oil pan wouldn’t work.

I’m not sure after all this time they’ve perfected the first gen Element swaps so I can only say beware. I don’t know how they do the ECU. Soooo...yeah.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Update on the supercharger!

After a couple of prints I’ve got a good throttle body adapter. I’ve also got a solid drawing of the supercharger AND plenum top to combine into the adapter plate. The only thing left is a block off plate for the intake butterfly assembly. Good times!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 04 shouldn’t be a problem. I can only speak to my experience and that if a buddy of mine in Savannah Ga that did two Miata v6 swaps with their kit and harnesses. His was a nightmare and I was their science project.

I’m not sure after all this time they’ve perfected the first gen Element swaps so I can only say beware. I don’t know how they do the ECU. Soooo...yeah.

Thanks. Norm at Minitec told me that everything works like stock except the cold air level (left half of the middle knob in the climate controls). He wires in a dedicated knob near the driver's knee to control this. Heat control works fine. They have built at least two of these early Element swap cars, the one seen in the YouTube vid and a "hot rod" version.

He also said they disconnect the CEL as the car will continuously throw a code due to the engine not matching the Element ECU. In my rudimentary understanding, he's basically piggybacking off the Element ECU and using a second ECU (engine controller?) just to control the engine.

You have a remarkably deep understanding of automotive wiring. I don't. So hopefully this is broadly correct.

I hope this is helpful to others; if anything about the above sounds suspect, tell me. In any case I will start another thread about mine if I go forward with it - will stop hijacking yours.

To repeat my earlier question - any idea of the horsepower you're putting out now, and after the supercharger? I think a dyno run will be in order :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks. Norm at Minitec told me that everything works like stock except the cold air level (left half of the middle knob in the climate controls). He wires in a dedicated knob near the driver's knee to control this. Heat control works fine. They have built at least two of these early Element swap cars, the one seen in the YouTube vid and a "hot rod" version.

He also said they disconnect the CEL as the car will continuously throw a code due to the engine not matching the Element ECU. In my rudimentary understanding, he's basically piggybacking off the Element ECU and using a second ECU (engine controller?) just to control the engine.

You have a remarkably deep understanding of automotive wiring. I don't. So hopefully this is broadly correct.

I hope this is helpful to others; if anything about the above sounds suspect, tell me. In any case I will start another thread about mine if I go forward with it - will stop hijacking yours.

To repeat my earlier question - any idea of the horsepower you're putting out now, and after the supercharger? I think a dyno run will be in order :)
I personally would not want to disconnect the CEL. If you have the right tuning this is a non-issue (my tuner says he can download a base map for a different engine if necessary). I prefer a dyno tune to get the best performance anyways. Ktuner is what works with our Elements and is what I use.

241 - 260 of 273 Posts