Honda Element Owners Club banner

261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Update on the supercharger!

After a couple of prints I’ve got a good throttle body adapter. I’ve also got a solid drawing of the supercharger AND plenum top to combine into the adapter plate. The only thing left is a block off plate for the intake butterfly assembly. Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazing! so cool

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Thanks. Norm at Minitec told me that everything works like stock...
I've heard of these shenanigans, and that wouldn't work in my state since we have emission testing. GA should be a problem, however if they unhook the light you won't know if you've got any codes having to do with engine health. I know k-pro does something like this with the TSX/RSX ecus, I can't remember off hand. I made a jumper harness to mate the Element to the 08' TL ECU. I'm not sure if the pre-08 ECUs are rewritable, but I was able to flash the manual transmission program onto an auto type-s ECU, it's the same hardware auto/vs manual but there has to have been a manual variant in existence for it to work. So if the pre-08 ecu's are re-writeable, there is a chance you could do the same. Everything works in my Element with the exception of the A/C. I had to hook up ground triggers for the fans and compressor since the TL users a 3-stage pressure sensor. Maybe one day i'll get bored and figure it out but for now i'm good with switches :)

As for power - no idea. Maybe 320 wheel? Whatever you do, get an RSX flywheel and clutch so you can go higher on the clamping force. They told me a stock Element clutch would hold the power - it absolutely doesn't if you try and do anything but granny it. Should have known!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice, very clever to angle the throttle body a little bit for bolt clearance.

Wow the forum filters the word c-ock which is what I originally posted. Lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard of these shenanigans, and that wouldn't work in my state since we have emission testing. GA should be a problem, however if they unhook the light you won't know if you've got any codes having to do with engine health. I know k-pro does something like this with the TSX/RSX ecus, I can't remember off hand. I made a jumper harness to mate the Element to the 08' TL ECU. I'm not sure if the pre-08 ECUs are rewritable, but I was able to flash the manual transmission program onto an auto type-s ECU, it's the same hardware auto/vs manual but there has to have been a manual variant in existence for it to work. So if the pre-08 ecu's are re-writeable, there is a chance you could do the same. Everything works in my Element with the exception of the A/C. I had to hook up ground triggers for the fans and compressor since the TL users a 3-stage pressure sensor. Maybe one day i'll get bored and figure it out but for now i'm good with switches :)
OK so essentially - I should figure out the proper solution for the ECU, and ensure the CEL is not disconnected. You're right, no emissions testing in my state, but I want this done right if at all.

Let me know if I've got this right - proper solutions would be either:
1. Get the stock ECU rewritten by a tuner to recognize the engine as its own (if possible), or
2. Figure out if an aftermarket ECU e.g. Hondata ECU for another Honda model can be used on the E without losing functionality (?)

I wouldn't want to do the swap if I couldn't keep the cabin controls 90%+ functional - the Minitec hack of a knob for the cold air is acceptable. Not having A/C would be unacceptable 🥵

As for power - no idea. Maybe 320 wheel? Whatever you do, get an RSX flywheel and clutch so you can go higher on the clamping force. They told me a stock Element clutch would hold the power - it absolutely doesn't if you try and do anything but granny it. Should have known!
320 wheel in an E... Videos will be mandatory of course.

This particular E is in need of a lot of maintenance which is what originally got me thinking of the swap, it is like an absurd level of "while you're in there." Clutch is original (not slipping but tired), motor and trans mounts are original, it has a shake that I think is the front axles, AC compressor just went out...

So, this is my opportunity to refresh everything.

Re: the RSX clutch and flywheel - you used OEM spec parts but for an RSX? Just curious if there's an advantage of going that route, vs. the aftermarket Element clutches that are advertised as holding more power.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OK so essentially - I should figure out the proper solution for the ECU, and ensure the CEL is not disconnected. You're right, no emissions testing in my state, but I want this done right if at all.

Let me know if I've got this right - proper solutions would be either:
1. Get the stock ECU rewritten by a tuner to recognize the engine as its own (if possible), or
2. Figure out if an aftermarket ECU e.g. Hondata ECU for another Honda model can be used on the E without losing functionality (?)

I wouldn't want to do the swap if I couldn't keep the cabin controls 90%+ functional - the Minitec hack of a knob for the cold air is acceptable. Not having A/C would be unacceptable 🥵

320 wheel in an E... Videos will be mandatory of course.

This particular E is in need of a lot of maintenance which is what originally got me thinking of the swap, it is like an absurd level of "while you're in there." Clutch is original (not slipping but tired), motor and trans mounts are original, it has a shake that I think is the front axles, AC compressor just went out...

So, this is my opportunity to refresh everything.

Re: the RSX clutch and flywheel - you used OEM spec parts but for an RSX? Just curious if there's an advantage of going that route, vs. the aftermarket Element clutches that are advertised as holding more power.
I believe the only tuning software that is made for our Elements is Ktuner. I was able to utilize my existing ECU with Ktuner. You can email Ktuner directly and talk with them about your build plan or visit a local Ktuner dealer near you if applicable (just check their website). Hondadata does not make a tune for our Element, but once you have Ktuner software it opens the door for allowing motor swaps. I did a thread on using Ktuner a while back which you may find helpful, it shows photos of how my ECU was augmented for the tune. Consider starting a thread for your build plan in the performance forum. This forum has served me well over the years.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I couldn’t find any higher rated clutches for the Element. I went with an OEM spec Exedy and lightened flywheel, which won’t hold long bouts of spirited driving. The Element’s flywheel is bigger than the other k-series engines which is why you need the RSX clutch and flywheel as a pair.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Also for the record, the guy that owns/runs Ktuner is really helpful and cool, just very short via email. He has helped me a ton and the car wouldn’t be running without Ktuner. So I’ll recommend that guys parts any day. I’ve got Ktuner V2 in the Element.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I told my grandma "that djmatix boy says he'll have 320hp at the wheel after he gets his supercharger up and running". Between handfuls of popcorn she said "320 at the wheel? Get out...."

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
So I stumbled upon a difference between the 04-06 and 07-08 intake manifolds. Kind of an annoying one but not a deal breaker. The later model manifolds have the IMRC (intake manifold runner control) built into the plenum top plate and is completely removable. The 04-06 model has it cast into the manifold and not easily removable. I’m able to remove the two flaps but the shaft looks(and feels) like it’s pressed in. No big deal, I’ll just have to design two different butterfly delete options. 04-06 is done, and I’m going to pick up a spare 07-08 magnesium upper plenum tomorrow.

Check out the schematic at the bottom. The 04-07 on the left uses a nice FLAT metal gasket. The 07-08 uses a rubber gasket to account for the IMRC. Fun times ahead! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Got my $58 upper plenum from the junk yard today. Side by side comparison to show the physical differences.

07-08 plenum with the modular IMRC built into the top plate.

04-06 with IMRC cast into the head

04-06 plenum top left
07-08 plenum top right

It’s about to get strange lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took my laptop over to grandma's house. I showed her the above pics. "djmatix got his work cut out for him. Check this out." She leaned forward, adjusted her bifocals...gave me a little dismissive wave and said "Don't worry, sonny, he'll get 'er done".

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Got antsy last night so I drew up a rough prototype. 7-8 hours to print and wanted to take advantage of the overnight hours. Not a bad first attempt!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Progress has been halted by the tropical storm that rolled through here. CT got about 45 minutes of rain and about 2 hours of crazy wind. Power and internet down statewide. Now we wait until all of that gets restored so I can keep printing prototypes!

261 - 273 of 273 Posts