Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
the jealousy builds here.

I'm already picking out wheel tire combos for you to try with your new power, lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
the jealousy builds here.

I'm already picking out wheel tire combos for you to try with your new power, lol.

Hahahahaha awesome! It’s got Enkei RPF1’s with Honda center caps currently. Plenty of tire just not enough diff. The K24 had no problem lighting up one tire already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Alright so I decided to abandon my dream of trying to make the factory intermediate shaft bracket work and decided to swap it over to the conversion piece that came with the kit. I’m in a much better place now since the adapter piece gets rid of the rubber dampener that the factory shaft bracket came with.

Interestingly enough, the j-series shaft didn’t come with a rubber dampener. So I’m not worried about not having it.

My original mission for today was to press out the axle seal and bearing, and press them into the adapter while I wait for the new seal, bearing and c-clips to show up. So I got after it.

First had to press the shaft out and it came out with a bang! The rubber dampener decided to come along for the ride. Cool.

The bearing and axle seal came out easy. The axle seal went back in no problem.

The bearing was a different story.

Pressed it in once but it couldn’t get it to sit flat. The bearing was binding when spinning. Outside of the adapter it is tight and smooth. So I pressed it back out and looked down to see what was up. Low and behold what do we have here? Looks like the CNC machine wasn’t finished or something. It had a small lip that I had to carve out with a razor blade.

Got it scraped out, attempt two.

This time the bearing sat flat but was still binding and the c-clip wouldn’t sit in the groove so something was a hair off somewhere.

So in the interest of time, I pressed the shaft back in to see if the inner guard would hit the adapter. It did not. So it works for mock up while I build a plate to mount it to the block.

I called up Norman at Minitec and told him the issue. I asked if I could send him a used shaft, the new bearing, axle seal and c-clips I ordered to have him press them into another adapter so he could check the tolerances and make sure everything fits. He said no problem. So while I wait for that, time to figure out how to bolt this thing to the block.

So now that it’s in the adapter piece, since there is no dampener, there is TONS of room. I’m able to feel the sweet spot of where the axle needs to sit with plenty of room.

So as you can see, you could park a bus behind the adapter piece. Lots of options to build a plate to legitimately bolt it down to the block. WHEW!

More to come!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife to OP: dear, you need to go down and clean up the basement. OP to wife: don't have time, I need to go work on the J-Element. Wife to OP: but it's been years, when is that dam thing going to be done? OP: (shrugs shoulders)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Years/ weeks. I’m impressed that this thread started in August of this year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The basement is tidy already lol. I only take on one large project at a time :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This is fantastic! I read up on their FB page and it looked so badass. Please keep updating, the whole world is watching

Thanks! Waiting on the assembled piece to come back from Minitec.

To keep myself busy I’ve been drawing some parts to help clear the intermediate shaft bearing housing since this J32a3 engine has “headafolds” and the J32a2 has a normal manifold. I’ll need to extend the studs and run a spacer to angle the pre-cat out slightly.

So I’ve drawn an exhaust flange and am 3D printing one at 1/2”. A friend is getting a CNC plasma cutting table so I’ll be able to cut the part out of steel if it works.

Once I know I can clear the bearing housing I’m going to draw up a bracket to bolt to the engine that will allow the bearing housing to mount in the right spot.

They told me I was an “experiment”, and it’s been fun but I’m SO ready to get this thing in and rip around in it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
thanks for sharing with us man. good to see what's what with this swap. from the look of things this swap is pretty intensive. i can't wait and it's not even my project.

Glad I could really show some detail on this kit. To my knowledge there isn’t any other information about it or the involvement. I know there are other kits out there in the wild but haven’t seen any info or anyone else talking about it.

Honestly, other than having to shave the block to get the axle in - this swap isn’t any more intense than any of the other swaps I’ve done. I’ve had to shave block casting web to clear big turbos in the past but what I had to do to this block had me sweating! The AWD transmission just brings the axle much closer to the center point than the J-series transmission that there is no way around it.

Aside from that, had I been able to use a J32a2 in an older Element it would have cut down on the effort by being able to use their adapter plate to bolt it right to the block. The main slow downs came from needing the newer oil pan modified, then getting it back not trimmed enough causing me to have to modify it further, then shave the starter. Things sort of domino’d on me because they had never done the J32a3.

Currently there isn’t a solution for wiring either the older Elements or the 07+. Minitec got theirs running using two ECUs and a splitter harness - Bananas! I knew that going into this but I’ve wired a ton of things in the past and have been working with Don at RPM Systems who is the J-Master. The jumper harness I created should be plug and play, but I won’t get to that fun part until the engine is in the car lol. I’ve kept an extremely detailed guide on what I did so I can do it again.

Once I complete this it’ll be the only 07+ drive by wire Element with the swap IN THE WORRRRRRLLLLLDDDD lol.

Starting to get cold though. Only a few more days of decent weather until I’ll have to pull out the heater in the garage!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The print finished. The extruder stepper motor has a bent axle so it slips at times when feeding filament which is why there is banding. It’s enough to test things out though. Luckily a new stepper motor is only $13!

This is the part that I enjoy most. Prototyping!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Got the intermediate shaft back... what the hell! I am not sure where the communication breakdown happened but I was supposed to get a fully assembled intermediate shaft. The bearing just slides into the housing where it should be pressed in, and this housing doesn’t have the groove for the retainer clip once the bearing is in. There is a considerable amount of play when the bearing is in the housing. I wrote them back and ask them what happened and I will give them the benefit of the doubt. This is maddening!

https://imgur.com/a/F560ZY4

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Woof. Sorry to hear about the slow down.

Jealous of your tools 😃 my robot slave is printing a vain attempt also make rent (planters for craft markets) but maybe someday it will have reason to make parts again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Not giving up!

Just wanted to chime in for a quick update. I got a response from Minitec, they simply asked for me to call them. I sent them pics and videos of what I had found in the package. Wasn't able to call them last week but just called today and left a message. Going to try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Alright so I finally unpacked the 08 bare block I ordered in case I needed to design some parts for this swap kit.

My idea is to create a bracket to mount the bearing housing from Minitec to. Since the front engine mount isn’t used I figured I’d hijack those holes along with two of the three that mount the factory J-series intermediate shaft.

So I’ve drawn up an initial design based on semi-scientific measurements lol.

I had to make the part flat so I could do an initial print without having to load in support filament. It will also help when incorporating the bearing housing - I can just subtract from the material.

The initial print came out great, I just had the measurements wrong for how far the two intermediate shaft holes were from the other ones. The part hugs the engine casting webbing nicely though and sits perfectly flat. Also the holes all line up for both sides. So it’s just a matter of sliding those two holes over and down slightly.

So I’m going to make the adjustments and print another!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Made the modifications and have the revised part printing! Knocked out some material to save on printing time.

41 - 60 of 222 Posts