Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Quick update! I ditched the huge bracket design. Long story short I found that I’m able to use the factory mount points on the J32a3 with a revised bracket design.

After going through a few revisions I was finally able to mount the intermediate shaft and axle!

Now to get it machined out of metal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
😵😮😲 I’ve just been rolling through all the work you have been doing. Wow you have done some mad work. Taking one for the team for sure.

One of the reasons I got a 05 Element 4wd Manual because I knew this swap was coming out. I’m so glad someone has got there hands on the kit. I see you have some Hurtles. I happen to live in Georgia so I was thinking I might get them to do the swap for me. But your progression makes me think I could do it with a few friends, beers and dabs. 🤔

I’m looking too do the swap after I lift my E up a little and refresh the car a little. It’s going to be my back trail beastie when I get that J swap lol!!! I Mountain Bike and really want to do some back County Trails and secret trails with friends.

Already clicked follow. Look forward to the next posts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
😵😮😲 I’ve just been rolling through all the work you have been doing. Wow you have done some mad work. Taking one for the team for sure.

One of the reasons I got a 05 Element 4wd Manual because I knew this swap was coming out. I’m so glad someone has got there hands on the kit. I see you have some Hurtles. I happen to live in Georgia so I was thinking I might get them to do the swap for me. But your progression makes me think I could do it with a few friends, beers and dabs. 🤔

I’m looking too do the swap after I lift my E up a little and refresh the car a little. It’s going to be my back trail beastie when I get that J swap lol!!! I Mountain Bike and really want to do some back County Trails and secret trails with friends.

Already clicked follow. Look forward to the next posts.

Thanks man :)

I lifted Element with a V6 swap would be killer! They created this kit for the first gen Element so it'd be somewhat of a bolt-on affair, save for the block shaving. Keep me posted if you go see them and have them do the swap!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I decided to ditch their bearing housing and bracket. Using their bearing housing (which is meant for the J32a2) would require me to space the pre-cat out to something ridiculous off the "headafold". So i've designed my own bracket and bearing housing (about 3 iterations already) and have arrived at a final design. With it everything will mount, and the pre-cat will fit with about 10mm-15mm of space of clearance.

I ordered an upgraded extruder nozzle for my 3D printer and picked up some carbon composite carbon fiber filament. Hoping to get it printed tomorrow to do one final test fitting before sending it out for machining.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Alright I’ve got the final design of the bracket/bearing assembly done. I upgraded the hot end to all metal so I can run polycarbonate carbon fiber PLA through my printer.

Running the final print before sending out for machining!

·
Registered
2 Posts
V-6 swap

djmatix, Good luck on the project.
I had lunch with Norm of superfastminis.com this Saturday. He started putting the Honda power in classic Mini Coopers and has branched out to try some really awesome projects. He has talked me into a AWD Element for the Two snows we get each year in SC. Here's a couple on pics of his V-6 Beast.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
i can't wait. you have access to some amazing tools.
I have amazing friends who have amazing tools! A guy I used to race with ended up having a massive 4-axis CNC machine. He was able to knock these parts out for me.

Hot off the presses:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you going to make this part, superfast make it or make available the CNC sheet about? Great work brother still you did all the real work.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Does anyone know if the V6 swap still has daily driver items like cruise and A/C? I'm very seriously looking at selling my automatic and picking up a manual so I can do this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Are you going to make this part, superfast make it or make available the CNC sheet about? Great work brother still you did all the real work.
This is something that I designed and had produced. I needed this because i'm using the 04-08 J32A2. I'm considering redesigning the whole kit because there are a lot of things i'm not pleased with that have made it more difficult than it needs to be. So we'll see.

If anyone is considering doing this using the same setup I am i'll gladly help with this piece that will be needed to work with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Does anyone know if the V6 swap still has daily driver items like cruise and A/C? I'm very seriously looking at selling my automatic and picking up a manual so I can do this.
I know A/C shouldn't be an issue. I'm having the Element lines converted to mate up with the TL compressor like I did with the power steering line. The cruise control is handled by the ECU/drive-by-wire which is the setup I have since it is a 2008 Element. Not sure how this swap affects the cable throttle Elements with regard to the cruise control system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
so when you do get this kit finally SQUARE.

Are the guys at MiniTec going to make the updated parts you have designed or are you going to offer the parts to make the kit COMPLETE?

Your progress just blows us all away brother you and MiniTec are doing the Element Community a mega MEGA Solid. Cant wait to see all the lifted J-Series Elements we will be seeing once you get the kinks fixed on the kit.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Sorry to ask you instead of contacting Mini Tec directly (or hoping that someone else knows) but for the automatic that they are working on (assuming Odyssey V6 + Pilot automatic transmission) is it still the 03-06 to stay away from electronic throttle? Just trying to figure out what Element I need to make it easiest to move up to a V6.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
is it still the 03-06 to stay away from electronic throttle? Just trying to figure out what Element I need to make it easiest to move up to a V6.

They mentioned doing a Pilot transmission but I’m not sure what year they’re using. I know they had no interest in doing anything with the drive by wire so 03-06 may be a safe bet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Getting closer. I spent tonight fashioning a small aluminum plate to block the hole in the transmission. Wouldn’t want water and debris making its way into there. Wanted to take care of that because it’d be a pain in the ass with the half shaft mounted and the engine in the car.

I also got the two side block bolts in, sealed and torqued to spec. The one closest to the transmission was blocking the half shaft from going in. I had to drill the hole out with a unibit and design a 3-step washer/spacer to get it to sit flush. Not fun but not insurmountable. I 3D printed a test version and then my friend made it on his mill in aluminum.

The block bolt closest to the oil filter was interfering with the axle and rubber boot. I was able to simply counterbore the existing hole and a hex head bolt was able to fit in it with a nice shoulder to seal and torque down on.

I realized today that I’ll be able to put the engine and transmission into the car without having to put the transfer case back on. This will allow me to drop it in rather than having to angle it back to clear it. So that’s cool.

I put the transmission bracket from the kit on the car and noticed something. Their plate leaves an odd gap at the top, so I’ll have to fashion some spacer to correct the gap. Otherwise it’ll bend the bracket when torquing the top bolt down. Not sure what they were thinking.

Another issue I’m going to have to resolve is the massive opening exposing the flywheel. I’ll probably 3D print a block off plate and drill/tap some holes in the adapter plate to mount it and then seal it with some weatherproofing tape or sealant.

That’s it for now. SO CLOSE!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
All mounted up and applied some heat insulation tape to keep the bearing from getting too hot. Looks fancy!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
fancy! that oil filter orientation <3

Yeah I’m really excited about that oil filter orientation lol!

The Element was a pain in the ass to change the oil filter and you got a bath when you could actually reach it.

61 - 80 of 222 Posts