Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Another update! Figured out the immobilizer! It wasn’t getting a logic ground. The Element and TL handle it differently. It works again! However it doesn’t recognize the key. FUUUUUU##%#%>##K

https://youtu.be/UIGqo_XphcE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Going to get a locksmith out here to reprogram the key I have. I’ve come too far to not be able to crank the car up. So they’ll be here in about 30 mins. Fingers crossed it goes well!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
No leaks, no rattles, no knocking, no nothing! The fast idle works perfectly, it idles like a champ! Only 3 CELs not having to do with the automatic trans the computer thinks is equipped.

P0135 ACURA - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0155 ACURA - A/F Sensor 21 Heater System Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
U0122 ACURA - Communication Stop from VSC to ECM

I’ve wired a relay for the O2 sensors, but the sensors came in the Pre-cats and are of unknown functionality.

I need to check the VSC wires and also look into any differences between systems. The electronic throttle control module from the Element talks to the ECU fine.

I may take it out for a road test tomorrow!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
a BIG CONGRATULATIONS! to you.

we were all pulling for you.

Thank you! It’s been a long road for sure, can’t wait to really lean on it out on the road. Need to break the clutch in first :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
No go on the road test today. Got the car down and backed it out of the garage and it felt like the clutch was slipping REALLY BAD. Went back and forth a few times and brought it back in. Got it up on stands and found that the driver side axle had popped out when I was reinstalling it.

So I had to pull the damn thing out again and hope I didn’t just destroy the diff or the axle itself.

Luckily just a haircut on those end teeth. Cleaned it up and got it back together. That fixed the issue!

However, it exposed another issue. The TL has two speed sensors. I grabbed one plug and hooked it up to the only speed sensor the Element has. Well now that the axle was back in, it was turning whatever that sensor was reading. It cause the car to go haywire. Main relay going on/off along with the fuel pump, and the speedometer doing a dance and killing the car. I thought I had knocked something loose! Then I unplugged the speed sensor and it was back to normal. So I’ve got some things to check before I can go drive it around.

I’m just glad the clutch/diff isn’t messed up. I was really worried there for a sec!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I heard he took off in a rental Cube saying things like "wow, it just starts and just goes, what a concept!" Into the sunset he drove, S eating grin on his face.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Lol I know I’ve been quiet. Had a work trip then lots of things keeping me out of the garage.

I took it around the block a few times and it’s got great power even only being part throttle. I don’t want to drive it much until I get the clutch bled properly. Since I replaced every single piece in line, there must be a ton of air in the system. The clutch isn’t very stiff and it isn’t disengaging all the way so it is tough to get into gear. I feel queasy giving it a little effort to get through the gears.

Since my last post I have been focusing on getting the fans and the AC working properly. I noticed one time when I was letting it idle that the temperature was climbing but the fans weren’t kicking on. I found that I didn’t run a wire in my jumper harness. So I have that hooked up now but I haven’t had a chance to let the car idle up to temperature to make sure that ECU is powering the relay to turn the fans on. However I have traced the wires for both the ac compressor and the fans and can manually turn them on so I know the wires are correct.

With the weather getting better it will be a lot easier to work on the car. I am going on vacation but after that I will be back in the garage with more updates!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Also, for some reason the Tapatalk app wasn’t alerting me that you guys were responding to this thread. Otherwise I would’ve updated sooner!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Worked on the Element a little today. Starting to really understand the differences and requirements between the Element and TL.

I also took it out on the road for a good 20 miles. It’s LOUD because I haven’t hooked up the exhaust, but I was able to take it up to ~65mph since the ECU will let me rev to 4700rpm before fuel cut. No VTEC and no secondaries on the intake manifold until I either wire up a range selector (to fool it into thinking it’s in ‘D’ or flash a manual program onto the ECU (I have a K-Tuner now). Still need to work out the speed sensor(s).

The TL has a low and high fan mode and split the fans up to control then separately. I had a wire wrong in my conversion harness but corrected it. Now around 200F the fans kick on and cool the engine down.

I’m not able to determine if the AC will trigger the fans because the system is empty. From my reading, the system requires pressure to engage the compressor clutch and kick on the fans. So at some point I’m going to have to get the system filled.

I’ve bled and bled and bled the clutch so I’m starting to think it’s something else. The car is drivable, it’s just a little notchy getting it into first gear. I may have also bent the shift cables by having them up and out of the way for so long while doing the swap.

If anyone has a 5-speed Element, can you take a picture of the slave cylinder? I want to make sure mine is disengaging all the way. With the clutch out it doesn’t look like the slave cylinder is going back in as much as it should.

Here is mine, for some reason I remember the boot compressing more:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Sick of having to wear ear protection while driving this thing.

Time to get serious about the exhaust mock up.

I measured the flange again and drew a brand new part. Waiting for the print to finish so I can go home and test fit.

Once I’ve measured twice and printed once or five times, I’m going to have a buddy cut me a couple on his plasma CNC. From there I’ll need to tack up some piping to hopefully meet up with the factory J-pipe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
The new flange will do nicely.

I finally got around to unwrapping the j-pipe I ordered a few months ago. Got it for $85 shipped which wasn’t a bad deal from what I could find. However, the included the third cat, and the hanger mount! So a good deal turned into a jackpot!

I think I have an idea on how I can make this work. The J32a2 had regular headers which made it a ton easier to mock up and route the exhaust. The J32a3 has “headafolds” and precats which make it a little more challenging.

I’d have to make extenders to move the j-pipe down to clear both the subframe for each precat and the starter in the front.

Blue marks each precat port, orange is one pipe and purple is the other. The green line is where I’d cut the j-pipe where currently it connects both pipes into one collector right before the flex pipe.

I’d then have to angle it up to clear the subframe and go right between the precat and the transfer case. There is a ton of room. It would look something like this:

I placed my old Injen 3” intake up there for reference. It fits easily with room on all sides and I’d never run a 3” exhaust anyway

I think this might work!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Decided to do some wiring last night. Since the Element had 2 o2 sensors and the J32 has 4 I had to run a relay in the engine bay to power then all up. Luckily the heater control and signal for each are run through the engine harness. All I needed to do was provide them with power. Now the CELs for the o2 sensors are gone!

Next up is getting the VSA to work. Even though the systems are pretty much isolated, the TL canbus goes from the ABS pump, and joins the CANL/CANH lines before going to the ECU.

The Element doesn’t run through the cluster and has a slightly different configuration.

Aside from those specifics - there are differences on how the systems are configured.

The ABS pumps are similar but the main plug is different.

So I picked up a 2007-2008 ABS pump and plug pigtail so I can re-pin the Element harness into it.

The Element has a “sensor cluster” under the handbrake that handles the yaw and lateral acceleration readings for VSA.

The TL has a yaw rate sensor that handles that so I picked one up to mount and wire to the ABS pump.

Rounding it out, I found a 2008 TL cluster on eBay for $36 and the plugs so I grabbed those as well. This is mainly to patch it into the system to complete the VSA but I’m going to have to really dissuade myself from wiring it up fully, and 3D printing a conversion mount to run it.

More to come once the parts come in.

121 - 140 of 187 Posts
About this Discussion
186 Replies
17 Participants
djmatix
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing