Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, everyone, I am pleased to say that the k3la now exists happily underneath my car. The installation was fairly easy, after having some mounts machined. As you can see, I've decided to mount it directly underneath the center console, just forward of the gas tank. There's tons of room there. The images that I wanted to put here were super big, so I hosted them to reduce server load on the forum. Check it out!
Train Horn Element

I hope someone benefits from this information.
-William

EDIT: I know everyone will want to see a video, so...
YouTube

·
Registered
816 Posts
looks like a great job,,nice and neat..great pics,,i do have a question about the location of the horns...arent you worried that rain water will get into the horns...also dirt and road debrie..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arent you worried that rain water will get into the horns...also dirt and roan debrie..
Well, I did think about this. Being in SoCal, we don't get too much rain, but after winter I checked inside the manifold and the diaphragm case only to find no water, or debris at all. Being that they are in the middle of the car I assumed that there was little "floating debris" in that area. Also, the horns are designed to run in the rain, so debris is the only worry, which seems to be negligible.
-William

·
Registered
816 Posts
will,,is there anyway you can build a little cage around them to protect them better,,like maybe a mesh screen or gutter screens,,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can buy these:
eBay
It just seemed like too much money, so I decided not to.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Water/debris is going to be a concern. Don't dismiss those horn bonnets so quickly - RR's have recently started to put them over the bells to prolong time between servicing. Bear in mind that on a locomotive the horn is at or near the highest spot on the body and is not dealing with icky road spray. You're sort of inviting early failure in that location.

If you or your horn buds come across a Leslie S5TRRO in working/restorable condition, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dude! Don't take this the wrong way but your NUTS!!! I want to see a video of those fired up! :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lmao at the related vids of that dodge vs a train and train crossing. I have seen this before on youtube. This will get some attention you must post vids maybe even peoples reactions.

·
Registered
836 Posts
With the train horns in that location are you not worried about them getting hit if you had to straddle something in an emergency situation? Just seems like they stick down a little far. I love the idea but just wanted to see how they have been after a few months before i start saving for the mod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe it or not, due to the location of the horns with regards to the wheels, I have never hit anything with them. I have had them down there for over a year now, too. Over some huge speedbumps, I have heard a scrape, only to find that the gas tank rail had scraped. I regularly look at the horns, including the bottoms for any damage/wear, and i've yet to find anything.
-William

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
this morning some vehicle near me sounded off w/ a train horn, or at least it sounded like a train to me, but i wasn't anywhere near train tracks.
anyway, it sure got my attention, and the blast wasn't directed at me.
i didn't actually figure out which vehicle had produced the blast as there wasn't any obvious traffic mayhem going on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I did think about this. Being in SoCal, we don't get too much rain, but after winter I checked inside the manifold and the diaphragm case only to find no water, or debris at all. Being that they are in the middle of the car I assumed that there was little "floating debris" in that area. Also, the horns are designed to run in the rain, so debris is the only worry, which seems to be negligible.
-William
The way my 24" Grovers are mounted, they are slightly self draining. But, being in the Pacificic NW, I go through a fair amount of water. To keep out the bulk of the water I siliconed SS sink strainers into each trumpet. They
are round with a trim edge and a fine window screen type mesh in the middle.
Before I glued them, I drilled a small drain hole in the trim edge. BTW I got
them in the plumbing area in Home Depot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts