Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke today with a Honda salesman that said the one thing he couldn't provide me was any kind of realistic date for being able to order, much less receive, a 4WD EX automatic with side airbags.

Evidently there have been some issues with the airbags vis-a-vis the style of the opening of the side doors - and that the issue was not Honda's manufacture of them but rather how they fit in with federal safety regs.

Anyone heard anything like this?

I told him - hey, if it's a matter of 30 or 45 days before the problem is ironed out and the cars are rolling, I can deal. I'm not even making the deal for 2 or 3 more weeks.

But if it's looking like it's going to drag out - well, hmm. The car does survive crashes well. I pray I won't ever need to find that out. But best be prepared.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I haven't heard anything about the side air bags. I will offer my two cents....

Like you said the crash tests were wonderful! Better than even I, supreme element lover, could have hoped for! So that is a huge piece of mind for me, as well as thousands of other E owners.

Secondly.....until I bought the E I have never owned a car with air bags of any type.....not that this a good thing, but I did survive a 5 car pile up on the Dan Ryan in Chicago with not a scratch on me...just something to think about.

I know air bags are a "Good Thing".....but for how many years were air bags not standard, not available, etc. Just something to think about....after all in my opinion if something is going to happen to me it will happen....no matter what type of air bags I have....destiny has a way of making things happen one way or another.

But like you said if it is only going to be 45 days it is worth the wait!

·
Registered
159 Posts
According to 3 dealers in my area, production on the EXS starts mid-May (one even said May 12) with the first models getting to the dealers in late May or early June. These dealers are taking orders now but the ones being ordered now will not be manufactured until probably July. At least that is the same story given by all 3 dealers I have contacted. I don't believe there are any more problems with the airbags, just a problem with Honda's slow ordering system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts