Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the 12+ inches of snow we got this weekend it has become painfully clear that I need new rubber in a hurry. I'm currently running 215/70/16 continental cross contacts, they're a definite improvement over the stock goodyears but I'm not totally blown away by them.

I'm thinking about moving up to the 225/70/16 simply to correct my speedometer. I'm looking for a good all season tire that is decent in the snow and not terrible if I decide to venture off road every once in a while. I drive about 30k per year and I only need the tires to last one year. I prefer to have fresh rubber every winter, so I want to get my moneys worth out of the tires every year. Oh yeah one more thing, My E is awd and turbo, so I'm looking for something with a high traction rating.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would go with the Nokians, my dad just put them on his HHR, and has the same views as everyone on here, they did awesome in the snow we had this weekend. I have the winterforce myself, love them, but you want a tire for summer too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which Nokians are they? Where can you get them. I just want to order the tires and have them delivered to my work. I'll mount and balance them myself.

I'm also looking at these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ATR&partnum=27TR6SCORATROWL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...on+STR&partnum=17HR6SCORSTR&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R+A&partnum=27HR6SCORSTROWL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r+A/T-S&partnum=27HR6GEOATS&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4

I'm considering going with an on/off road tire. Road noise is not an issue for me, but I'm afraid of the toll it will take on fuel economy.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I am also another one for the Nokians! My wife Patty has had them on her E for 2 years now. They have been all over the place, going to Northeast meets. V.A. Meet gave them a work out in hot weather this year, as well as a trip to Indy last spring. No signs of traction loss do to heat cycles to date. They have some 35,000 miles on them and still look new.

I have had them off road, and on the race track. An outstanding traction tire. They still maintain a respectable Dry road handling quality, that I have found lacking in other tires of this type. The wet weather ability of this tire will never cease to amaze me.

One of, if not the best tires I have ever had at any price.

Dom

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what model of nokians are you guys using?

EDIT; nevermind, I'm only willing to spend up to 120 per tire. I just had to buy tires for the wifes car too and we're low on funds due to christmas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got 4 BFG Long Trail T/A Tours for about $120 per including installation and ballancing. They are a nice looking raised white letter tire. They are quiet and performed well in this saturday's snow.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to go with a set of Pirrelli Scorpion ATR. The have more of an aggressive tread than a touring style tire and have really good all around traction ratings. I'm also liking the lower treadwear rating which means the rubber is softer. I have traction issues in dry weather too.

Also, I would like to thank Nine Oaks Swim Club for not plowing their parking lot this weekend. I visited several times and done some pretty legit donuts.

Hey, I gotta get my moneys worth out of the continental's before I replace them.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had three out of four BFG Long Trails delaminate on my E with less 30k on them. Never again.
I've been running General Grabber AT2s for two winters on my E and year round on my Isuzu pickup and they are very good in the snow, moderately noisy and suck about 4 mpg extra at 38psi. Plus they are about fifty bucks cheaper than BFG AT KOs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I put Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires on my 2009 Forester and wouldn't hesitate to put them on an E when my wife gets another. They handle slush really well, are quiet and handle well on dry pavement. I had good luck with Cooper Discoverer ATR's on both our E's- They were good-if not great in the snow. (Cooper doesn't make that tire in an appropriate size for the Forester).

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I suspect you'll be happy with the Pirellis, rollertoaster. Mine are probably larger than yours will be, at 30 x 9.5R x 15, but the tread pattern is the same. Mine currently have 50,000+ miles on them, and though they'd be more effective as snow tires if the tread were narrower, they'll get me through this winter just fine. I was out in a foot of unplowed snow just this morning to confirm that they're still doing the job. They're great in wet or dry, as well. A little noisier than I wish, but certainly tolerable.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's good to hear. I just ordered the 225/70/16's today, I'm excited to see them. Noise is not an issue for me. I have an upgraded stereo and a 3.25" exhaust and a turbo, I doubt I'll be able to hear the tires over that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey there.. just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. My partner and i just bought our element, and we are anticipating lots of seasons of snowboarding.. so we just bought new tires. I got a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in the stock size. I wanted something with a more aggressive tread pattern, since she is not a daily driver.. we just bought it to haul the dog around :) I have to say the tires are amazing!! They handled the snow beautifully, and living in the seattle area.. i can hit the huge puddles with no problem! The are excellent on dry pavement as well.. not that we get much of that around here. And surprisingly enough.. they are much quieter that the previous tires!

·
Registered
123 Posts
We're having Yokohama Geolanders put on today! Goodyear Wranglers gave us about 25,000 miles & that's it (previous owner didn't have them well balanced). With it snowing so frequently now, it was time to get some new rubber on our E. Very excited to be getting new tires!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Michelin LT-X. Amazing tire...I know they are more expensive, but for me, you don't skimp on the only thing that connects your car to the surface of the earth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Michelin LT-X. Amazing tire...I know they are more expensive, but for me, you don't skimp on the only thing that connects your car to the surface of the earth.
Our car had those tires on it when we bought it. They were about 35% left.. and were kinda scary in the rain. I love the new tires.. we went up to stevens pass here in wa.. it was snowing all day.. with about 10" of unplowed snow in the parking lot.. The E drove in like we were on dry pavement. Headed back down the hill at 10pm (solid sheet of compact snow and ice) had no problems. I would recommend having the tires siped. It made a huge difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We're having Yokohama Geolanders put on today! Goodyear Wranglers gave us about 25,000 miles & that's it (previous owner didn't have them well balanced). With it snowing so frequently now, it was time to get some new rubber on our E. Very excited to be getting new tires!!
Congrats!! Getting new tires is like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one :) I am loving the new tires.. they are amazing (see the post above) Hope you are having the same luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts