Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass this along. As the economy goes into the pits crime has gone way up in our area. Here is one I had not thought about.

While you are dining or shopping theives break into our car. They target your garage door opener and any info in the car that has your home address. Whether its your insurance or title info in the glove box or a magazine or mail on your seat.
They head straight to your house. Open the garage door, access the house and begin looting.
When you come out of the restaurant or store your first instinct is to call the police. While you wait and fill out the police report your house if ransacked. Usually you have not even noticed the missing mail or garage door opener.

They like to do this when you are dining. It is believed they watch for families going into to eat. That way there is less likely to be anyone at home.

I have been good not keeping personal info im my car. But I do keep the garage door opener on my visor.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Friggin' Zombies!!! Now I gotta get a new M.O.

Now how am I 'spose to do my Christmas shopping?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have been good not keeping personal info im my car. But I do keep the garage door opener on my visor.
I just keep a Rotty-Akita mix in the house. Works great.

My garage is detached from the house now. At the old place I had a dead bolt on the service entrance from the garage to the house.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
theft and your garage door opener
I would say that you are more likely to get mugged in the parking lot as having your car broken into and your garage door opener stolen. Take your garage door opener with you when you leave your car or throw it into the glove box or anther location where it is out of sight.

Jeeze.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Good reason to have an alarm system at your house . . . even in a good area! :rolleyes:

We love ours because it has built in fire and medical.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i've installed a Homelink transmitter, so the "remote" is built into the vehicle. and the garage is detached from the house.

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
Indeed, what this garage opener you speak off?

All hail HomeLink!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is this Homelink stuff?
How do you attach it to your garage door?
Do you have to buy a whole new garage door opener?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
What is this Homelink stuff?
How do you attach it to your garage door?
Do you have to buy a whole new garage door opener?
No, takes a whole new Garage.:-D

Actually it is just a built in opener button, programmed to open your Garage Door.

Other thing to watch, is if your Garage Door has the small windows. Most garage door openers have a manual release cord, for use when the power goes out. Hangs right in front of the door. Easy to bust a door window, reach in, yank the manual door release and walk right in. Took my cord off.

·
4,759 Posts
Man you must have a short garage. The cord on mine is at least 10 feet from the door when it is closed.

But yes, homelink is built into MANY cars now. Just not the E. You program it to your opener, and then you no longer need the opener.

No, takes a whole new Garage.:-D

Actually it is just a built in opener button, programmed to open your Garage Door.

Other thing to watch, is if your Garage Door has the small windows. Most garage door openers have a manual release cord, for use when the power goes out. Hangs right in front of the door. Easy to bust a door window, reach in, yank the manual door release and walk right in. Took my cord off.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have Homelink in our Odyssey, so that removes the problem of a stolen remote, but I do hide the car registration in case someone steals the car, knows about Homelink, and proceeds to load it up with stuff from my house!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Man you must have a short garage. The cord on mine is at least 10 feet from the door when it is closed.
What kind of opener do you have? Every one I've seen has the emergency release handle on the traveller that attaches to the door.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What kind of opener do you have? Every one I've seen has the emergency release handle on the traveller that attaches to the door.
Maybe he means when the door is open?:confused:

·
4,759 Posts
Cant remember. But on the occassions the power is out and I need to open it, its always over the sunroof of my wifes car...its that far away from the door. I will have to take a picture to show.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Good info.

My garage door is a Wayne Dalton, and a Genie screw-drive opener. The manual opener cord is in the middle of the garage, toward the front when the 16 foot door is closed. All the manual rope really does is disengage the threads on the screw-drive so it can be raised by hand.

oh, and btw... it finally snow here in Utah today! we got a foot last night, and really glad to have a garage today!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts