Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another chance to help folks considering buying Es.

What did you worry about that hasn't been a problem at all?

This should include items for which there are easy fixes.

First on that list for me is power. Yes it shows that it's heavier than the CR-V, but there's quite enough. Not a drag race champion, but enough.

You get the idea. :twisted:

·
Registered
176 Posts
- was worried that the floors would scratch up easily. still havent seen one after ~4000 miles

- less trouble maintaining control in high winds than i thought.

- less rocking movement on mid-speed corners than i'd imagined. she turns like a tank!

btw, great post ideas bart. these should help potential owners a great deal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was worried about handling, since the E looks so top-heavy. But no worries here! The E handles really well on turns. It really doesn't feel different that driving a good-handling sedan...but it's LOTS more fun!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good post.

I was worried about the composite panels but so far, they've held up really well and show no signs of significant scratching or fading (have had my Element since the beginning of February).

I too was concerned with handling but its weight at the corners helps it feel less tippy than it appears.

Lastly, I worried about buying a car new to the market and, although I've run into minor problems, there has been nothing major (knock on wood).

The windshield and lack of power are my only gripes at this point (tough going from my wife's V6 Escape to the Element). Aside from those, however, Honda has redeemed itself in my book. I'm loving this thing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I was a bit worried about scratching as well, but besides one scratch in the cargo area, no problem. And we put our bikes inside and take them in and out frequently with no problem.

I was worried about the windshield, and rightly so as I already replaced it, but since replacing it once I am not as worried.....it is as if I have been "inducted".

Other than that the only real concern I had was buying a first model year car, especially since this was my first new car purchase ever.....but so far so good, and I bought the exteneded warranty just in case. Better safe than sorry :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:b93a824f07="tigernumber6"]
Lastly, I worried about buying a car new to the market and, although I've run into minor problems, there has been nothing major (knock on wood).[/quote:b93a824f07]

I worried about this too, but after somebody told me the Element was built on the CR-V mechanicals, I decided that was less of a concern since the CR-V has been out for a while.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i worried about ...

turning radius, but it turns out to be great

high profile in gusty winds, not a problem

gas mileage, but getting better with every tank (18-21)

back door being a pain, but everyone who sits in the Tonka's back seat only wonders about it once. after that, it's no problem.

blind spots, but car talk's mirror adjustment advice has changed my life. i'm a true believer now

·
Registered
176 Posts
[quote:7469e171b6="LaJollaElement"]blind spots, but car talk's mirror adjustment advice has changed my life. i'm a true believer now[/quote:7469e171b6]

yes! quoted for emphasis

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was concerned that it would be unpleasant driving on the highway at 70mph ++, but it's not. Lot's of revs at 95, but very pleasant and not too loud. Great vehicle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was worried about the outside panels after reading several post complaining about their quality. Yesterday I went to open my garage door to go outside and forgot I left some large foldup tables leaning against it. When the door opened the tables fell out and hit the front panel on my E. I got a knot in my stomache remembering the negative post about panels as I lifted the tables off my car. Surprise! The tables bounced off the panel leaving a small scuff mark. I wiped the mark off with my thumb and it was good to go. The panels did exactly what they were designed to do...withstand minor bumps without damage. If this was a painted metal panel I'm sure it would have dented.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts