Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way it looks but what I am hearing worries me about the air flow restriction. I would hate to burn up my engine on my brand new Element because of an accessory that looks good. I think it needs to be proven that the air flow restriction is minimal and won't affect the engine. I don't trust idiot lights so short of sticking a thermometer in the engine compartment without and with the cloudrider grill I don't know how to prove this thing isn't going to kill my engine.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK, that just about does it for me. I'm not gonna get one now. I'll just continue the daily removal of the bugs from the radiator fins. It isn't so time consuming that I'll risk burning up my engine. I use a soft bristle 1" paint brush, so it goes quickly if you get after the bugs as soon as you get home in the evening.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the grill. When I went to pick mine up from a cloud-rider distributor I noticed a large supply of these grills promoting all trucks and SUV's on the market.
This is a new product for the Element but not a new product! I'm sure if there is a heat issue that this would have been address long ago with people who have purchased this grill over the years.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ok, let's think about this. I've had my E for less than 2 months. I've already got bent areas on my condenser, and it's probably from the damned cicadas. Conclusion: it would be wise to protect the condenser from further damage.

Second, grill guards have been available for years, from Cloudrider and many other sources. Do you really think that if the airflow were being restricted to the point of engine damage so many people would have them on their vehicles?

Third, I'm ordering from Cloudrider on Monday for my E and my husband's Silverado.

·
Registered
57 Posts
[quote:077075d58e="foxtail"]Do you really think that if the airflow were being restricted to the point of engine damage so many people would have them on their vehicles?[/quote:077075d58e]

Certainly not. It is a matter of personal preference, and my preference is not to take the chance of cooking my engine. Murphy's law is so prevalent in my family that we've adopted our own corellary to Murphy's Law. Anything thing that can go wrong, will, and it will happen to us first.

Seriously, the bugs here in TennesseE are not so large as to damage fins. The time I spend each day cleaning them out of the radiator (about 3 minutes) is not so valuable that I'm gonna chance ruining my engine. I'd rather trust the engineers' design. They made the E this way for a reason. Who am I to second guess their work? Besides, I have the 7 year 100K mile warranty. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The engine is Water cooled and for all I can remember, the radiator has an electric fan hooked to it. I think you are jumping to a wrong conclusion to think that the grill will hurt the engine on your Element. How about a guage pillar for the left side so we can insert some guages in it to check the temps more accuratly. :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:0e2f0f5c2b="TennesseE"] I'd rather trust the engineers' design. [/quote:0e2f0f5c2b]

As an Engineer myself, I'll tell you we are famous for designing things to fit a range of conditions. I guarantee the engine is designed to work within a temperature range, not to an exact temperature, and since this vehicle is being sold from Canada to Arizona,it's probably a fairly wide range. I feel it's doubtful the addition of a grill is going to affect the longevity of the engine.

However I have the utmost respect for one's decision to not purchase anything that one feels is not proven not to damage the engine. To each his own.

·
Registered
447 Posts
For the lower grill, I believe that the protection is warranted. I've used these types of grill products over the years, and the amount of debris that would have built up otherwise simply wasn't there. Meaning that the slight daily penalty of natural circulation pays off in less blockage over the years.

The radiator fan pulls in air when there is not enough natural convection to cool the radiator. Your engine won't "burn up". But the intake AIR temperature might be higher than before installation... just beware your performance may suffer a little bit.

Choosing to install the lower grill and not the top is probably the best compromise, IMHO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[quote:fc3324f649="Einstein"] But the intake AIR temperature might be higher than before installation... just beware your performance may suffer a little bit.[/quote:fc3324f649]

There are messages elsewhere on the board about a relatively simple mod to address this issue. Look for "cold air intake".

Choosing to install the lower grill and not the top is probably the best compromise, IMHO.
I'm leaning that way myself. I wonder if Cloud Rider will just sell the lower grill?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:f4e284b9a2="Einstein"]For the lower grill, I believe that the protection is warranted. I've used these types of grill products over the years, and the amount of debris that would have built up otherwise simply wasn't there. Meaning that the slight daily penalty of natural circulation pays off in less blockage over the years.

The radiator fan pulls in air when there is not enough natural convection to cool the radiator. Your engine won't "burn up". But the intake AIR temperature might be higher than before installation... just beware your performance may suffer a little bit.

Choosing to install the lower grill and not the top is probably the best compromise, IMHO.[/quote:f4e284b9a2]

Instead of sending it back I may do just what you said, use the lower portion only to keep debris from hitting the condenser and leave the top part as it is. Guess I will just have an extra screen I can't use. Too bad they don't sell the bottom part separately.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have seen countless cars, trucks and SUVs on the roads in my area with custom grill screens, (amazing how you take notice when you start to consider
something). Many seem more constricting than the Cloud Rider design!
So far none have been pulled over on the shoulder with radiators steaming!
But! If your still concerned, you might try getting in touch with the people
at Cloud Rider.com, and if they can't remove your fears about this design!
Inquire about their;
Honda ELEMENT "Round Hole All Season Screen"?
Maybe they'll send you a picture?
img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/4/jawdown.gif[/img][Automated by GetSmile]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have seen countless cars, trucks and SUVs on the roads in my area with custom grill screens, (amazing how you take notice when you start to consider
something). Many seem more constricting than the Cloud Rider design!
So far none have been pulled over on the shoulder with radiators steaming!
But! If your still concerned, you might try getting in touch with the people
Inquire about their;
[Automated by GetSmile]

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:d1a3f790bc="divco-honda"]If your still concerned, you might try getting in touch with the people
Inquire about their;
[Automated by GetSmile][/quote:d1a3f790bc]

What is this "round hole all season screen"? When I called Cloud Rider last week, the only design they offered was the one on their web site. Seems that this one is the slat design. Maybe I missed something new. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tell us what the reply was from Cloud Rider with reguards to your
concerns about overheating with the "slat" design you spoke of.
Were they able to appease your fears?
Everyone would like to know their response!
Or did you end up cancelling your order?(as per your other thread)

[im
g]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/950/help.gif[/img]

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:af1295f4ea="divco-honda"]Tell us what the reply was from Cloud Rider with reguards to your
concerns about overheating with the "slat" design you spoke of.
Were they able to appease your fears?
Everyone would like to know their response!
Or did you end up cancelling your order?(as per your other thread)

[im
g]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/950/help.gif[/img][/quote:af1295f4ea]

Seems Cloud Rider was closed yesterday. I ended up cancelling my order via email. They are very very friendly folks and talked to me about their design and how it does not cause overheating, prior to me placing the original order. My order did not ship last week, as expected. This gave me extra time to "be concerned", so I did end up cancelling.

Appearance wise, the Cloud Rider seems to be the best design in grill guards. However, I still am concerned about restricting a large percent of the air flow, over a long period of time.

Your comments about Cloud Rider's "All Season Round Hole Design" is sparking my interest. Is this another design that is not yet on their web site?

I am not trying to cause any concerns, for others, over the idea of using a grill guard on the E. These are simpy my personal thoughts and not based on any data or study.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yesterday I cancelled my order with Cloud Rider (as mentioned in my previous post). They were closed yesterday, so I canceled it by email. As luck would have it, the grill guard showed up today.

I went ahead and put it on and drove around in close to 90 degree heat today. All seems ok and I am going to keep it.

First of all, the item seems very well designed, and looks fabulous. All of the attachment hooks etc are also well designed. Top notch quality also. I am keeping it. Already my condenser was getting pretty well clogged with bugs and dents. Now it is well protected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Once most of the fins are bent or covered by bugs and debris, it will restrict air flow. In my opinion the restriction could be made to look aesthetic. Say...... maybe a grill guard?

8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had my E for only three weeks and already a rock has dented the condenser fins!!! You might want to worry more about rock dents instead of bugs! Bought a Lund Grille (it's made by Cloud Rider and sold by Lund). From Lund you can order just the lower grille only if you want, though you can buy this grille cheaper from Cloud Rider. Honda should have offered a grille as standard equipment, or at least as an accessory, since the condenser is expensive to replace. The new look is great - more masculine (less "cute") than the standard "E's" front end.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
with holes this big... there is no problem with air flow constriction:

but i didn't like the CR attachment method, so i went billet:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts