Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We happen to live in a neighborhood where where is, as often as not, an expensive German car in the garage. Big SUV's abound. Lexus's are all over the place. We were part and parcel of this, having had MB's, a Z3, a Jeep GC, etc. until we got rid of our latest Bimmer at the end of its lease and bought our E, easily the least expensive car by a factor of two of any newish car on our block (execpt for my wife's company car, an awful brown Taurus and the odd Subaru here and there).

Well, I have never had so many neighbors stop by to ask about a car. When we go out to dinner, our neighbors want to ride in the E. I know of two neighbors who have been out looking at E's.

We chose the E because we love the design and it is very comfortable, the populist price notwithstanding. An unexpected delight has been seeing our friends possibly thinking a little differently about their automotive needs, maybe choosing something that guzzles a little less gas, and saving a few bucks as well.

yelapa

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dang! Rich people are buying this thing too? :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive through an area much like the one you describe on my way to work, and stop by now and then to get some coffee for the ride in. I've had many folks from their Mercedes' and BMW's come over and inquire. When I tell them how much I paid, they get bug eyed and say, is that all - for all that?!

Now I know the E is not meant to be a suave luxury car, but why pay so much more for something you don't need!? I love my E!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree, I dumped a saab convertible for my new SOP E and have no regrets.
I have 3X the fun than those big SUV owners for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You know what I think every time I see a hummer? Dang, they could have bought 3 E's for that much money....or maybe 4. 8)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You know what I think every time I see a Hummer, or Escalade, Avalanche, Excursion, Tahoe? They must be compensating for something.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Funny, I'm in kind of the opposite situation. I live in the inner city and my Element is one of very few new cars in the neighborhood. One good thing about it is that I live two blocks away from my dealership. A woman complimented me recently on my Element and said, "That must cost $50,000."! I let her know it was a fraction of that, but it sure made me feel good!

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's true, Slowhand. Everyone always thinks that the E must have cost much more than it did.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My husband always uses this phrase when some yuppie housewife cuts him or me off or in general does some idiotic driving manuver....

"More money than brains"

I think the E is for the savy buyer....why should I pay 30,000+ for a SUV when the E has evrything that I want/need in a car/wagon/suv/truck????

The E is practical and fun...the right balance for my life, and many, many others!!!!

My mom always said that one day I would understand the importance of being practical, and boy was she ever right! :wink:

·
Registered
79 Posts
StLouisPenguin,

I can't agree with you more. Why would someone pay more or even double the amount when the Element has all you need. Well I may be biased. I guess when you have loads of money those spray misters aimed at the headlights seem like a great option. I saw that on a BMW the other day. And I thought the winshield wipers on Mercedes headlights were the most pathetic waste of money I've ever seen.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't be on the bandwagon to name all luxury SUV's a "waste" or their drivers "idiotic" and or "yuppies". But then I'm one not to generalize too much.

When four wheeling in some serious mud, wipers or sprayers on your headlights can be a valuable asset. More than 4 seating areas would be cool.

An eight cyliner engine can also come in handy. More than 5 inches of ground clearance might be sweet also.

The "E" for all it is has, has plenty of down falls.

Not sure putting oneself on a pedestal of pragmatism is any better then buying a Lexus SUV and being a "yuppie" pulling idiotic driving manuevers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"My husband always uses this phrase when some yuppie housewife cuts him or me off or in general does some idiotic driving manuver.... "
My phrase in that situation is "Put the FSCKing cell phone down and DRIVE".

In every single case that I've had something like that happen, the other driver has a cell phone in his/her ear. Worse than drunk drivers...

When you're driving, the safe operation of your vehicle is the ONLY thing you need to be doing. Not doing a business deal on the cell phone, not getting a date on the cell phone, and not holding sewing circle on the cell phone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you, Zarathustra. We are Land Rover owners ourselves and don't care for being lumped in with the "soccer mom" crowd. We drive Land Rover because it's a fine vehicle that's equipped to do things that some vehicles are not.

And just as we are lifelong Land Rover owners, we are also lifelong Honda owners. We just sold my wife's Civic and have a Shoreline Mist 4WD EX being built this week (supposed to ship to the dealer in about two weeks).

As for idiotic drivers, I think that's a badge that can be worn regardless of what's being driven.

And please note - we don't take offense to anything being said here. I'm simply stating our own experience.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I used the term "idiotic" to describe a driving manuver....not an SUV driver....and the term "idiotic" is intended for any driving manuver done in such a way that could cause an accident....it doesn't matter what car you drive, what sex you are, etc.....just sometimes there are these yuppie housewives driving Hummers in our neighborhood, talking on their cell phones or applying make-up who think that they are the only car on the road....and in those cases I do believe that the pharse "more money than brains" is suitable.....in the other cases my phrase is not board accepatable.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Glad we are on the same page :wink:

I just felt the need to clarify the point I was trying to make....

after all Luxury Cars are wonderful....I love driving my mom's Acura and would love to drive my brother's Volvo, but he mumbles about no one driving his car (even though he hates it and wants his Infinity QX4 back!)

Perhaps someday I will have the need for a Luxury Car and a Practical All In One Car, but for right now my practical lil' E fits my needs :wink:

On a side note I love Land Rovers, my friend's brother has one and it is a sweet ride. We briefly looked into a Freelander, but for the $ we couldn't justify the Freelander over the E, plus that was about the time the front end crash tests came out and I was a bit dissapointed with the results on the Freelander, esp. knowing the price difference.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the Discovery came with a v6 I would be in it instead of the "E".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts