Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is the main reason I found the EOC , I didn't know there was such a thing but I am happy to be here!
I am looking at Pop Up Campers. I need to find one that is available close to me and has enough room for my dogs and is under the weight limit. I am seriously considering the Forest River Flagstaff 176LTD it has a unloaded weight of 1347 pounds. Does anyone tow something similar? Is it feasible and what sort of hitch or special modifications do I need to make in order be able to tow it. A teardrop is out of the question, just too small. I would appreciate any advice or comments , thanks, Missie

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I tow a pop-up that weighs in at 1060 lbs unloaded. I have a Uhaul "Class III" hitch. My camper doesn't have trailer brakes on it, but it has provisions to add them. I haven't had any issues as of yet, but I also don't feel that I load it down real heavy. I would most likely recommend getting something with brakes on it if your going to start at that weight. I personally can tell that I am pulling my camper....it causes the E to struggle a little bit when the AC is on and I am starting from a dead stop. Of course, I have a 5 speed and don't want to rev the motor real high and ride the clutch out to get going either....it's a bit of a trade off. I seem to average about 20 mpg on the couple of trips that I have had it out on.

There are other members that tow heavier trailers, even exceeding the recommend towing capacity considerably and say they have had/felt no ill effects. Hopefully they will chime in also.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I tow a lot on long (100 mile +) trips and a lot of short trips. I have not had any problems with anything in that weight range. The trailer brakes are important especially if you are doing highway travels and hilly areas. The Element will be able to stop the load but you will have much better control if the trailer has it's own brakes to slow it down.

The class III hitch is a must for that size trailer.

You will be fine with that kind of trailer in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Everyone for your input. I tried to read through the posts to find out as much as I could but it is nice to hear from the people who actually tow a pop up.

I am planning on getting the class III hitch installed next week and then I will really start to shop. I have heard about the trailer brakes and I can say they seem like a must. This is the only time I really miss my Tundra but it sounds like little Element will do just fine!:)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What Patti said....lol

My trailer is about 1600 loaded, and have had no problems....
I could have sworn you said your trailer was 2200 lbs unloaded :confused: Ok, so your not as crazy as I had previously thought :smile:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I could have sworn you said your trailer was 2200 lbs unloaded :confused: Ok, so your not as crazy as I had previously thought :smile:
the sticker on the side of the trailer says it's gross weight is 1600 lbs....

And we all know that the Gross registered vehicle weight is what the manufacturer has stated the complete trailer weighs, not what the max amount of weight the trailer is capable of holding, once you've loaded it. I haven't bothered to weigh it this year, but last year, before we took it on the highway, I had it weighed, and it was just under 2200lbs...

Sorry, looks like I mis-spoke earlier...:oops:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
the sticker on the side of the trailer says it's gross weight is 1600 lbs....

And we all know that the Gross registered vehicle weight is what the manufacturer has stated the complete trailer weighs, not what the max amount of weight the trailer is capable of holding, once you've loaded it. I haven't bothered to weigh it this year, but last year, before we took it on the highway, I had it weighed, and it was just under 2200lbs...

Sorry, looks like I mis-spoke earlier...:oops:
See.....crazy Canadians :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts