Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"with full synthetic oil" [edit] and own an '07+....

What do you do when the maintenance minder light comes up?

Do you

a) Reset it and ignore it when it comes up, obeying your own oil change interval from your log book

b) Reset it only when you finally get to change the oil, even if it's -2000 miles by that point

Trivial question, but that light is bugging me, but reseting it when I haven't changed the oil when the E tells me to do so feels like cheating :D

This is not an oil change interval debate, just curious what folks do with the idiot, um, maintenance minder light.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Since the maintenance minder calculates oil and serivce intervals based on how that E is being driven (stop/start intervals, speeds being driven, etc.) I trust it over some arbitrary time/logbook interval - and maintain my E when it tells me to. :rolleyes: So I never have to see any idiot light staring at me with that "so you think your smarter than me and my engine management computer" look it it's itty-bitty wrench-eyes.:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oofs, forgot to stipulate that the extended oil changes are with full synthetic, not conventional oil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. Looking at Mobil1 EP, they claim 15K oil changes. I'd never let it go that long, no matter what. But it would seem that there's no reason to buy it, if the computer bases it on the items lsited in the manual, while not taking into account how the oil is truly holding up. Too bad it can't sample the oil and do it's own UOA.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'm make note of the sub codes and see if any other work has to be done. Do the other work and clear the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you an 07 and up, chances are your still under warranty. You should not run EOCI because it can void your warranty. If you are out of warranty, then it doesn't matter. Simply reset the MID and keep going. Just keep proper records and check your work every once in a while (via used-oil-analysis) to be sure the oil your using is up to the task...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
What is this maintenance minder thing you speak of? ;-)

Just another reason to keep my 03' forever, or till it rusts away from under me from the road salt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is this maintenance minder thing you speak of? ;-)

Just another reason to keep my 03' forever, or till it rusts away from under me from the road salt.
On the latest Honda/Acuras, the cars have a maintenece minder that tells you exactly what services need to be performed. You simply crossreference the code displayed with the list of services in the owners manual. On your 03, there is just a "maintenece required" light that tells you it's time for an oil-change...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always ignore that light, just reset it and keep going. my oil (full syn) gets changed somewhere between 5000 and 7500 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
oil change light

What DLIVRY7 said. I have changed alot of oil on cars, and frankly hate doing it now. This last time I went to Jiffy Lube, gave them one of my AO-1 filters that I got from Trevor (HandA) and had the Pennzoil Supreme (full synth) put in. Makes it easy to remember because I just add 7k to their reminder sticker. A note of caution - if you go to these types of places, either give them a good filter, or abide by their change interval, even if you use synth. The attendant confirmed that they use cheapo filters and they do not guarantee anything past their recommended interval (3k). I found this out because I said "I am using my own filter, and using full synth. Can you set the milage reminder for 10K instead of 3K?" Nope-their system maxes at 3K and they will not promise anything after that because the filters are not good for anything after that. I decided right then that I will always take a filter with me!

jeff

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
More often than not I have my oil tested at a lab. It is the best way to see if it needs to be changed or not. Everyone has driving styles/conditions that are unique to them. In essence, that means that what is good for me, may not work for you at all. The last 3 times I have had the oil tested, it showed that I was still good at 7,000 miles. I use the A01 filter and Synthetic oil on every change. I can see that the oil has just started to discolor at that point. So that's when I change.

In theory, with the particulate count still down, and slight change in color, I could go another 2-3K with the oil.

I have the test done because it's a solid indicator of overall engine health. Since I'm sending the oil sample in for the boat, I just include a sample for the E. It's not much extra work. Plus it gives me some piece of mind.

Dom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since the maintenance minder calculates oil and serivce intervals based on how that E is being driven (stop/start intervals, speeds being driven, etc.) I trust it over some arbitrary time/logbook interval
but wouldnt that mean that if the minder hits 0%, and you reset it, if would very quickly go back to 0%--based on how used the oil is?

·
Registered
104 Posts
but wouldnt that mean that if the minder hits 0%, and you reset it, if would very quickly go back to 0%--based on how used the oil is?
When you reset the light, it thinks you changed the oil. It has no idea if you did or not. The computer doesn't sample the oil. It only samples the running conditions...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. Looking at Mobil1 EP, they claim 15K oil changes. I'd never let it go that long, no matter what. But it would seem that there's no reason to buy it, if the computer bases it on the items lsited in the manual, while not taking into account how the oil is truly holding up. Too bad it can't sample the oil and do it's own UOA.
If you have to ask, you'll never know. ;-) I always reset the light myself, while I sample the oil, of course. Mm mm good. :D

I can't tell you how many times the $tealership didn't reset the light after servicing the vehicle <cough>7<cough>! Then I reset the light, once I learned how. I'm becoming more agressive now -- I'm doing all the maintenance I can henceforth.

I just changed the oil this past weekend and used Penzoil 5W-20 Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some good pointers here, thanks folks.
like how the maintenance minder is ignorant of you actually changing the oil or not, basing its algorithm on driving factors other than the oil itself. And noting other maintenance items if you choose to reset, have to admit I forgot to rotate the tires the first time. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The last 3 times I have had the oil tested, it showed that I was still good at 7,000 miles. I use the A01 filter and Synthetic oil on every change. I can see that the oil has just started to discolor at that point. So that's when I change.

Dom
If your oil is JUST changing color at 7,000 miles, then it is not doing its job. No oil is clear after 5,000 miles either.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
If your oil is JUST changing color at 7,000 miles, then it is not doing its job. No oil is clear after 5,000 miles either.

I guess you can argue that point with the lab that runs the tests for me. I use this one.

Like I stated in the post, It all depends on your driving style, and CONDITIONS! You may drive in an area that imparts more color to your oil, It may be the brand of gas that you use. Or 1000 other things. The variables are almost limitless. That's the reason I send it out and have it tested.

You may wish to try it. Pick a lab near you.

Dom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts