Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if most of the cars effected were earlier production models. Please post the date of purchase for your E.... We bought our E last month..I am keeping a close eye on our windshield!!!!

Date of purchase 4/03

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, yours is probably in the VIN range shown on Technical Service Bulletin 03-028 that pertains to this problem. I own a EX AWD purchased on 4/18/03 and it falls well within the VIN range.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought mine at the end of January and have had no problems, other than having a couple of rather large pieces of gravel bounce off of my windshield on the freeway. Loud as hell, but no damage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I picked up my E Februay 15th and the windsheid cracked within two weeks. My vin is in the 3000 series for an 2WD EX. The dealer kept on saying the crack was caused by a chip but relented when the Sevice Bulletin about windshields came out. They installed the new windshield this week, but now it makes a creaking sound. I just can't seem to win on this one. I do intend to keep this vehicle for along time so I am looking at it like I am just renting this windshield until a new crack develops.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the link to the actual Service Bulletin! :)

I picked-up my EX 4WD Friday at 6PM and had a small rock leave a crack in the windshield Saturday at noon. Leave it to me to muck it up in less than 24 hours.

Coming from a '98 Jeep Wrangler Sport (which could pretty much bounce pebbles off of the windshield at 70MPH with no cracks), I was bummed to see such a little rock cause a crack in my new baby.

My EX's VIN falls outside of the Service Bulletin, so .. hopefully I won't have to worry about the windshield trying to kill itself. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
returned from an 800mile trip recently with a cracked winshield. thought it was caused by a pebble kicked-up by a truck. the guy that replaced it says there were no visible signs of an object hitting it. feels strongly it was a "stress" crack. this vehicle has 2500miles logged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine just cracked over the weekend. I have a very small starburst in the center of the windshield. My VIN (19167) is covered by the TSB, but I don't think the starburst qualifies. I have had mine since April 10, and have put on 3000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my Element for 15 days. It has less than 500 miles on it. Nothing has hit my windshield hard enough to even make me notice it.

And guess what? Driving home from work yesterday I noticed a crack in the lower passenger side corner.

And my VIN is outside the service bulletin. My dealer is supposed to be calling me this morning to tell me if they can help me at all.

I even addressed the windshield issue with the dealer before I purchased that car. "Hey, I've heard people are having some problems with their windshields . . . " To which his reply was that he hadn't heard about it, but that I shouldn't worry.

If they don't help me, I will be FURIOUS!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dealer is VERY ignorant of the fact that the 'E' has a very loyal and active following that post regularly on the Internet. I think they're used to saying "we've never heard of that before" and not being challenged.

When I cancelled my extended warranty that I way (!!!) over-paid for, they asked where I found a cheaper one, so I showed them the forums here. The Sales Manager had a very funny "uneasy" look on his face as he was checking out the different threads. :D

I hope they can help you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
NOT FIXING IT!!! I hope they are ready to deal with the repercussions on not following through on what they promised me before the sale.[/i]

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I posted on another thread, our Element had a small pebble tap the window while driving on the highway. It made a small starburst that needs repair. It really was a light impact. Aside from this problem, our E is great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my EX in March and now have 6350 miles on. Two weeks ago the windshield cracked on the drivers side. It started at the bottom and has now run up approximately ten inches and to the right about 15 inches. No sign of impact. :(

Have an appointment with the Honda District Tech Rep this Friday to discuss replacing it. Going armed with copies of the TSB, internet pics of other elements with cracks and forum discussions.

Will let you know how it went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had mywinsheid repaired with a 10 inch crack.This may be frowned upon by some, but 560 for a new windshield I thought it was worth the gamble. I live in Northern Jersey and had it fixed by Mr.Chips 1-800-293-9794. They did, Joe peck did great work. He clued me in on what to do for a crack. He said to inspect the black parimeter for nicks,that is where mine started. The sooner you had a crack or chip filled the better the chances.
I suggest going for a repair ,then replacement at this moment until aftermarket windshields are more affordable.
You have 4 years until inspection in NJ for new cars, so that buys time.
Joe did a great job and it really isn't noticable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't even have my car licensed yet, but I have a nice crack in the windshield as of yetereday - 600 miles.

When I went to work there was no crack, when I came out of my first stop I got in and there was crack about 4 inches long coming from between the wipers. When I came out of work last night the crack is now probably 12-14 inches long.

I called the service manager at Honda - "they aren't aware of a problem" with the windshield, but I am to bring it in for inspection. I suggested that they come to this web site and get filled in on their "little problem".

Apparently the run a ball point pen over the crack, if there are no "stops" in it then it is from stress and they would consider replacing the windshield.

When I bought my extended warranty from 1Source I got the option that they will replace up to three windshields over the life of the contract.

·
Registered
90 Posts
4/16/03 - I just got a crack on the way back from Myrtle Beach last weekend! I am taking it to Honda Friday so they can "inspect" it to make sure a rock didn't hit the windshield. I think I would be able to tell! DUH!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got a crack on my windshield...(I'll post pics later) Originates from the lower driver's side corner...and it's creeped about twelve inches since I discovered the crack about 10 days ago. I don't do any off-road driving, and I am fairly certain that nothing hit the windshield.

This is the second windshield. The car picked up a crack prior to delivery back in March (purchased 3/17/03) when it was shipped from Lubbock, TX. Had to wait two weeks for the replacement.

Just got word that the dealer (and they checked with their District Service manager) will not fix it under warranty. And yes, my car's VIN is on TSB 03-028. The service techs kept insisting that something struck the car, and I did not see any evidence of a strike on the windshield. The fact that this is the car's second windshield, and my report of the occasional rattling or vibration on the windshield frame, was pretty much ignored by the techs here. If this was the first time, I would've written it off to luck. Second time...no freakin' way.

I'd like advice as to where do I go from here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arghhhh. 483 miles on my element and CRACK! Passenger side, halfway up from the bottom. I checked and my VIN is not covered in the service bulletin, so I've been instructed by the dealer to bring it in so they can determine if its covered under warranty. I was for sure hit by a little rock, but I can hardly believe that it should have caused a big crack (its about 7 inches so far).

I hope Honda realizes that there seems to be a large number of Element's that are experiencing windshield cracks. I'm going to be pretty upset if I have to replace the windshield on my own dime. Especially since I've only had the car 3 weeks.

That's my story....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arghhhh. 483 miles on my element and CRACK! Passenger side, halfway up from the bottom. I checked and my VIN is not covered in the service bulletin, so I've been instructed by the dealer to bring it in so they can determine if its covered under warranty. I was for sure hit by a little rock, but I can hardly believe that it should have caused a big crack (its about 7 inches so far).

I hope Honda realizes that there seems to be a large number of Element's that are experiencing windshield cracks. I'm going to be pretty upset if I have to replace the windshield on my own dime. Especially since I've only had the car 3 weeks.

That's my story....

·
Registered
249 Posts
my windshield cracked today. My VIN falls in the range of the service notice.

I have to call my dealer and see if they will cover it. I'm really disapointed. this is my fiirst Honda since 1975.

Ive had the car for 3 months and 5000 miles.

Jennstr, The crack in my windshield happened in the same place and is about the same length. Strange.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts