Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the new E out on a little day trip from Omaha, NE to Des Moines, IA and back. Thought I would post some of my findings...

I rode in the back seat on the way out. I'm 6'3" 200lbs and found that I had more than sufficient leg room. However, when I sat up straight, my head was buried in the ceiling. Never the less, I was able to find comfortable seating positions, and enjoy that I can recline the rear seats a bit. My wife rode in the back on the way home. She's 5'9" and did not experience this problem.

While I may not recommend the practice, I did start the trip out in the front passenger seat. Unfortunately, our child began to cry hysterically and instead of pulling over, I simply crawled in back while the vehicle was in motion. This task was incredibly easy for me to do. There was plenty of space between the seats and the cooler was low enough to easily step over. I do recognize the safety issues, so we do not need to debate that in this thread. I took a risk. I know.

I drove home on the way back. I thought the handling and visibility were sufficient and comparable to any other similar profile car I've driven. I did not have any instances where I thought I had trouble viewing something. It was not windy for the drive, so I did not feel blown around. I expect to feel the force of a cross wind due to the shape and size of the vehicle, but unfortunately I cannot report on this.

The turning radius on this vehicle is amazing!

Not a fan of the automatic transmission. However, this is not a fault of the E. It is the auto transmission in general. I just prefer manual. My daily driver is a manual Fit Sport. It seemed comparable to other automatics I've driven. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Overall, I was incredibly satisfied with the E. I've been in other vehicles that may have been a touch more comfortable, but then again, we didn't spend $40K+ on the car! No buyers remorse.

I do have a question for those who have the air deflector installed on their E's. The windshield was pretty messy with bug carcasses. Would installing the air deflector show us any noticeably gains in this area? Just curious how well they work. I've never had a car with one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is the A-Pillar the same as the previous years? Did you happen to notice if it was a little wider than average and blocked your view around left hand corners?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not driven any of the older models, so I cannot comment on that, but I did not feel obstructed by the pillars at all in ours. My wife said she did not have any visibility issues either.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have both the front and rear air deflectors- front windshield still gets plenty of bugs :-((sorry,but you're not getting off that easy). :D
air deflectors don't decrease the number of bug carcasses, but they do help to re-distribute them a bit. and collecting them on the deflector doesn't hamper your vision as much as collecting them on the windshield.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you happen to check your mileage on the trip? If so how did it do? THANKS!!!
The one time I remembered, we checked in at approximately 24.5 MPG. We were driving at around 75 mph. There were a couple real slow spots due to road construction and our commute was extended through town due to closed roads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wind Shield/Dash Whistle???

I've had my '09 E for a few weeks. Love it even with the pillar blind :cool:
spots. What I don't like is this unnerving high pitched whistle (vibration?) noise that starts once I get over 50 mph. The weird thing is that if I use the wipers and squirt windshield cleaner, the noise goes away. Does anyone else have this issue??? Please advise. I've already added another gallon of windshield cleaner in the first month!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my '09 E for a few weeks. Love it even with the pillar blind :cool:
spots. What I don't like is this unnerving high pitched whistle (vibration?) noise that starts once I get over 50 mph. The weird thing is that if I use the wipers and squirt windshield cleaner, the noise goes away. Does anyone else have this issue??? Please advise. I've already added another gallon of windshield cleaner in the first month!
Perhaps the Problems/Issues area is a better place for your comment. However, we did not have that same issue that I could tell.

We did have a fair amount of road noise. However, it was consistent with other vehicles I have driven. It did not take an excessive amount of radio volume to overcome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on having a car you love.

I don't notice a problem with the pillars until I am in a parking lot, or making a turn at an intersection. They can be the same width as my view of a pedestrian. I've missed some at the beginning of a crosswalk. So I have to weave my head back and forth like the guy in the Benny Lava video, in order to see what's in front of the pillar. Very entertaining for everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drive an 03 and an 09 but I never noticed the pillar difference with the visability...also the the high pitched noise is a windshield problem with the 09 just had mine fixed at the honda garage...there is a safety bulletin out on that problem...also drove from pa to oh about 360 miles round trip and got 30 miles to the gallon...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I drive an 03 and an 09 but I never noticed the pillar difference with the visability...also the the high pitched noise is a windshield problem with the 09 just had mine fixed at the Honda garage...there is a safety bulletin out on that problem...also drove from pa to oh about 360 miles round trip and got 30 miles to the gallon...
Good info Cobra, Thanks!!!!! 30 mpg is great! How do you like the Citrus Fire? I can't make up my mind...Citrus Fire, Crystal Black Pearl or Omni Blue Pearl. Looking for feed back on the Omni Blue Pearl as well....anyone? The dealer I was shopping at has all of his inventory inside so it's hard to tell what the colors are like without them being in the sun. :confused:

Then there is the dealer who still has an 08 SC auto in Nighthawk Black Pearl (can't see a difference between CBP and NBP:cool:) who says he will make me a deal and I won't want a 09. Waiting for Cash for Clunkers then it's time to deal!:D:D:D I would like an AWD but if there is $3-4,000 difference then:confused::confused::confused:. Going to post over on the shopping board to see what the EOC brain trust has to say.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen the OBP outside and personally didn't like it. But I believe this is a color you have to see in person to really know how it looks. I've not seen a photo that has really captured it for me. It mostly looks white though.

Is there any more detailed information on the windshield issue?

·
Registered
62 Posts
We love our citrus fire (even if I did hit a gas pump with the door ...it now has its first dent and scratch) my first choice was omni blue...I really like it...but the dealer was able to get the cfm when we wanted our new e so thats what we took...again ...the windshield issue is on a technical sevice bulletin....can't remember the number...but it took about an hour at the garage...more sealant had to be put around the windshield....since the fix..no more high pitched noises

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking for feed back on the Omni Blue Pearl as well....anyone? The dealer I was shopping at has all of his inventory inside so it's hard to tell what the colors are like without them being in the sun. :confused:
I have an OBP. It's definitely not the color on the honda website (at least not with my color calibration.

It looked white in the showroom to me (I wanted a light color and it was more appealing for me than the grey/silver, so I went with it).

My last car was white, and side by side the element definitely could not have been called white. (Sorry, I sold the truck so can't take a side-by-side pick). I'd describe it best as looking like a really light grey + light sage. To my eye it's more green than blue. The pics I've taken (w/ a white towel on it) to try to capture the color just reveal the gray.

I'm really happy with it, but I was looking for the lighest color possible, and I like sage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Found it! TSB 09-024 covers the whistle/buzz noise from the windshield.
Thanks for that!

Hmmm...would you all recommend that I bring mine in for the sealant even if I'm not hearing a whistle, or let it be? This car is so much quieter than my last that I might just have a really low bar of 'acceptable.'

It's been so long I've had a vehicle that was under warranty, these decisions are novel!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right side pillar blind spot

Congrats on having a car you love.

I don't notice a problem with the pillars until I am in a parking lot, or making a turn at an intersection. They can be the same width as my view of a pedestrian. I've missed some at the beginning of a crosswalk. So I have to weave my head back and forth like the guy in the Benny Lava video, in order to see what's in front of the pillar. Very entertaining for everyone.
I'm glad you worded it that way about seeing pedestrians. The blind spot is huge on the right where the side view mirror joins the pillar. Since I drive mainly country roads and hwys this isn't too much of a problem, but once into a real town/city it will require extra diligence and your head "weave" to be safe. At 5'7", I'm not short, but I'd almost prefer a smaller side view mirror so that I could see more over the right front of the E. My 6'1" husband noticed this issue right away so driver height must not make a difference. Overall, I love this vehicle and my messy kids/dog do too!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts