Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (& Gals)

I hate to add to the large lists of posts requesting help - but I need help haha. To start, I'm not cheaping out - I've had my E at numerous mechanics numerous times and still no fix / answers. So I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas.

I have a 2006 Element EXP AWD manual with 109k miles on (LOVE my E).

About 1000 miles ago the check engine light came on seemingly out of nowhere. I had AutoZone scan the code and three came back, all having to do with the TPS. I should have these codes, but don't (it was so long ago the receipt has faded badly). One is P0122 and there were two others. Essentially it was low voltage to the TPS sensor or a bad sensor.

I unplugged the cable to the TPS, it looked fine, blew some air at it, plugged it back in - light went out. For maybe a week, tops.

I researched things and didn't want to spend an outrageous amount of $ to replace the throttle body (I started out cheap!). I found a TPS online, bought it and had my mechanic of 15 yrs install. They installed it, the light went off and all was well. For about 3 weeks.

I brought it to a new mechanic that specializes in Hondas with rave ratings from people. He said the TPS wasn't adjusted properly when it was installed, and the plastic connector on the wires (pigtail) looked loose. He adjusted properly and bent the clips to firm up the connection. He explained the light *may* come back on in which case it's probably the connector. He didn't replace because they are hard to find (they don't sell just pigtails).

Light came back on within days, brought back and he said he could try to solder the wires directly to the TPS. So I said sure why not, that'd rule out a connection problem. It didn't work and he told me such.

I brought it back yesterday with the expectation the TPS was going to be replaced (again). He resoldered it instead (he was on vacation the first time it was soldered, and I can only figure he wasn't happy with the first soldering job). Anyways the light came back on today.

He hasn't really charged me much (which is great) - but hasn't fixed the problem. Any thoughts / ideas?

At this point I am HAPPY TO replace the entire throttle body with a new one, but I'm not convinved that this ($800? $1000?) repair will actually solve the problem.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem may be??? Anything I can ask the mechanic or suggest? Am I wrecking my clutch / car driving it for so long with a bad TPS?

Thanks everyone!

Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you try taking it to a Honda dealer? I'd be leery of someone soldering the wiring on a Honda. JMHO.

I'd be leery of using aftermarket electrical parts on a Honda. They're usually problematic on the Ford Escape, so I'd assume the same w a Japanese car.

Have you actually checked the voltage to the sensor? Have you researched the causes of a low voltage there?

Cheap digital multimeter: VC97 one ebbaayy. Or search youtube for it - you should be able to find a better alternative for around $50. Most folks can't really justify the cost of a Fluke meter.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57729 w photos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts