Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in an accident last week and GEICO offered a garage where they also staffed somebody, so the whole claim could be taken care of (supposedly) more easily. I hit somebody else, from behind, so the impact was to my front end. It was bad enough that there was about $1800+ worth of work, including replacing my radiator that was pushed back. When I went to get my car, I turned the key and had a very unsteady sound to the idle. I also noticed that the engine light was on (it wasn't on when I brought the car in). I turned the car off and then on again and the idle sounded fine after that (and still does), but the engine light was still on. Because I was still sitting in the lot of the garage, I had them come out to look at it. They did a diagnostic and it showed an issue with the Throttle Body. In a nutshell, they said that they had to have GEICO look at it to see if it would be considered part of the claim.

So I went in the next day and the GEICO guy took two seconds to look into the engine and said that he didn't see any signs of impact to the Throttle Body, so that he couldn't approve it as part of the claim. But the Throttle Body is only a couple of inches from the radiator that they replaced and was pushed back. Now they are throwing it on me to pay for a Honda evaluation to see if the issue is the result of the accident or not. I only have 70K miles on the car, so I know that it can't be wear and tear, but I have no idea if whatever the problem is with the throttle body is going to be determined to be the result of the accident, when being looked at by somebody who never saw the original damage and how closely this is to the actual damage that was repaired. I don't know anything about wat the TB is or how it works or if it would make sense that something got "shook loose" in the accident, but I find it very hard to believe that this is just a coincidence.

I know that this type of post leaves me open to people wanting to give their 2 cents about insurance companies, etc., but I a really just trying to get some feedback from anybody who may know what the likelihood is that this may not be related to the accident or if it is, how please provide some information, so that I can converse intelligently about it to contest this GEICO guys decision.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
First off , If the vehicle is now running fine , except for the CEL , I would have the code cleared from a local trusted mechanic , if it continues to come on , you know you have a problem , my personal judgement is the vehicle was sitting in the body shop and all the dust from the shop and everytime they went to move your vehicle , it sucked up dirty , dusty air . I would change the air filter and cabin filter then have the code cleared ....... A throttle body cleaning would also help .........

Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
The throttle body (basically the part of the engine intake that regulates how much air is sucked into the engine) may not have been damaged during the accident, but it is highly probable that it needed to be removed during the course of the repair to access other damaged parts. IT may have been damaged by the repair shop or re-installed incorrectly.

I would ask the shop whether they removed the TB as part of the repair. If they say no, look a the invoice and find out what exactly was repaired. There are folks on this forum that would be able to tell you whether the repairs that were performed would have likely required the TB to be removed.

sm

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
What those guys above said is good advice.
I work in collision repair and we clear all lights and codes associated with the accident or resulting repair. If your car was fixed at a stand up shop then they should clear it for you no problem.
Also, any work performed on your car will be listed on the estimate that you should have a copy of. It should say whether the TB was removed or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! To clarify...

1) the light went off by itself within about 24 hours.
2) The unsteady idling only happened that one time, when I first started the car and hasn't happened since.
3) The garage is very trustworthy in the area, with a great reputation.
4) They did not remove the TB during the repairs.

Another mechanic friend of mine, who has only heard all of this by phone said that when disconnecting the battery to do the work, is kind of like rebooting the computers of the car and that this may have just been a hiccup during the rebooting process. And if that doesn't sound precisely right from a mechanics stand point, he may have been drawing the computer rebooting analogy just so I could better understand it.

The thing for me is that I know almost nothing about cars. I brought in a car with a lot of front end damage and when picking up my car had the CEL come on and this idle issue and a quick diagnostic said that it was the TB and when they showed it to me, it was just two inches from all the work that had been done and right behind the radiator that had been pushed back. It doesn't look like it was directly hit as a result of the accident nor the work, but is so close that I have no idea if something could be shook loose.

Given that the CEL is now off and the car is running fine (no performance problems, etc.), does this sound like anything that I should be worried about becoming an intermittent issue in the future? If there is a possible issue down the road for me with the TB, that can honestly be attributed to this accident, obviously I would want it taken care of now even if it seems minor at the moment. But if this is all just normal "rebooting" of the car I don't want to invest a lot of time and possibly money, fighting the insurance company over this.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I say go about business as usual. If it shows up again then get it checked out. It's possible some wiring may have been crimped or severed in the accident. If you have a good flashlight, poke around and see if you notice anything in the area near the damage and TB.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My advice , let it go , you say the repair shop has a very good reputation , go with that , look at your vehicle , how did you like the completed job ? Except for the hiccups , you have your vehicle back and running good . As I stated above , change out those items and clean the T.B. The description you gave of the accident , I would think you would have more trouble with overheating , then idle problems ..........

Welcome to the party .........

Again , Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but the trustworthiness of the garage is why I have these questions. They are the ones who did the diagnostic and determined that the issue was the TB and it was their mechanic thought that it was a result of the accident because of the proximity of the TB and the repair area. The GEICO guy didn't say anything about if there is or is not an issue, just that he wasn't going to qualify it as a result of the accident.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks, but the trustworthiness of the garage is why I have these questions. They are the ones who did the diagnostic and determined that the issue was the TB and it was their mechanic thought that it was a result of the accident because of the proximity of the TB and the repair area. The GEICO guy didn't say anything about if there is or is not an issue, just that he wasn't going to qualify it as a result of the accident.
GEICO's notorious for NOT excepting blame, plus they're expensive (had them back in the 90's)! Look into a different insurance company. USAA is someone I'd recommend: I had my Jetta broken into, in front of my house. During the theft they took the headunit and tried to remove my woofer box and amplifiers. They cut the wiring but couldn't get the box out through the interior of the car (custom fit). USAA sent the adjuster, pointed to a stereo shop. The shop didn't carry my specific brand so USAA authorized equipment which was a couple steps up from what I had. During the rewire the shop switched a hot and ground (idiots) and my Jetta caught fire. The shop defended their installer and tried to pull the "it was your current equipment" card. They tried to explain electronic theory to me, which I responded with "I'd be glad to bring in my Electrical Engineering degree on my next visit." Called USAA, they apologized, sent me to another shop and cut business with this particular shop. USAA paid to have my entire interior re-done, due to smoke smell, and gave me a rental in the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts