Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post; Thanks for creating and maintaining this resource!

Picking up my first Elly on Tuesday, an '05 MT AWD in RR. Very excited for sure and planning my rack/storage/camping setup already...

I'm a mountain biker first and foremost, and I'd like to keep my bike in the Element 90% of the time, with both wheels on. I will almost never have the rear seats installed, they'll be in my basement.

I saw this rack from Thule and thought it might be a good solution:
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/truck-bed-bike-carriers/thule-insta-gater-truck-bed-bike-carrier-501-_-18344

Does anyone have any experience with this rack? It looks as though I'll need to remove or modify the piece that covers the tailgate gap to install it, but that seems uncomplicated. Any thoughts? Anyone doing something similar they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance!

-B

Attachments

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
To use that as intended, you'll have to remove the "flapper" cover from the lower tailgate.

Then I'd still be concerned about clearance under the gate.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
with both wheels on on my bike I have to turn the front wheel sideways. I put my bike in the car with the front wheel turned at the back of the front seats and the rear wheel just barely clears the closed tailgate. you would have to have the rear wheel between the front seats to use this type of rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the responses. I suppose I'll just have to see what sort of limitation I'll be faced with and customizations I can create.

Cheers!

-B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you looked at the interior bike attachment. H and A carries it. A bit pricy and still have to remove the front wheel though and the back wheel sits between the two front seats. Not ideal but would keep the bike inside. I also removed the back seats and rarely ever use them. Added bonus of getting out of car-pool duties ;)

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementint.html

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do the same thing only I back my bike in and turn the wheel sideways at the rear.

with both wheels on on my bike I have to turn the front wheel sideways. I put my bike in the car with the front wheel turned at the back of the front seats and the rear wheel just barely clears the closed tailgate. you would have to have the rear wheel between the front seats to use this type of rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts