Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2010 EX 4WD and the first thing I need to do is get the rack installed. I went right to the REI Thule rack fitter tool online and looked up the items needed for this vehicle, and spent a good part of the weekend hunting them down. The Thule fit kit Tk9 to my shock does NOT actually fit. It includes 4 identical rectangular plastic fit pieces, while the roof for the 10 has three removable plastic roof mount points, none of which are the same size. I think Thule has screwed this up and not updated their Fit Tool that many websites embed within their own. When you go to Thule's site directly, they do not indicate there is a rack yet for this vehicle. Since they are closed on Monday's I will have to confirm later this week.

I just called Yakima and they do not offer a rack either, but at least their fit tool does not claim it will.

Sadly I have a big Thule cargo box being shipped across country right now that I will have no way of mounting any time soon, unless these companies get it together quickly.

Anyone else out there have an attempt on a new 10? I don't want to buy a Honda rack.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The rack will still work without the plastic trim pieces. The bolt pattern for mounting the TK9 base has not changed. Only the cosmetic plastic roof rails have changed so you could use the rack until you hear back from Thule about an updated trim kit. It won't hurt anything to drive without the trim pieces in place. I would use the rack and shuttle box at least until you find out when Thule will have the new trim available.
I have dealt with Thule before when my garage door came down while backing out and wrecked the ski rack. I had the replacement parts in two days and it was cheaper than REI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks! Just the kind of simple solution I had hoped for from a forum like this. No returns required. I am getting a Thule Atlantis 1800XT so I can keep the back as free as possible for socializing.

My guess is that Thule and Yakima are both in development and will release a compatible plastic plate in the next 6 months at most. It must be crazy having to adapt to virtually every automobile manufactured.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stumbled upon this thread googling how the the final fit would look on my 2010 Element.. So I just wanted to let you guys know - the Thule Rack fits, and I assume the Yakima fit, from 2009 DOES work.

First, I called my local Honda dealership to find out if there had been any changes to the design of the Roof, etc. and they told me that there were changes made to the appearance of the Element last year - and that they would be the same for 2010.

Then, because I didn't see it on their website, I called Thule and Customer Service confirmed the fit.

Later on, after Thule had confirmed the fit, I actually found the fit on REI's website (via the "Online Rack Your Car" Tool) - So I bought it from them.

I installed the bases and the kit this morning (430+tk9 and 58" bars):

On the front mount there is a very small gap under the plate, but this doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I hope this helps.
Joe

NOTE: For any SC owners out there - There is NO FIT for that roofline!:twisted:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed a Yakima rack (Landing Pad 9, specified on the Yakima site for a 2009 Element EX) onto my 2010 EX. Everything fit perfectly, no gaps or installation issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah but Yakima round bars are a roof's worst nightmare....
I can't tell you how many times I've seen some sort of accessory rolled over the bar and bouncing off of the roof as a car goes down the road.

Make sure you keep those carriers tight!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah but Yakima round bars are a roof's worst nightmare....
I can't tell you how many times I've seen some sort of accessory rolled over the bar and bouncing off of the roof as a car goes down the road.

Make sure you keep those carriers tight!
All racks need to be kept tight. I think that all racks work about the same amount of care. Square, round, elliptical--they'll all fail if things get loose!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
This is Bullsheet! I've been using Yakima racks on almost every car I've owned for the last 25 years and have never had them work other than designed. Friends and family who have Yakima racks also have never experienced this "roll over".

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is Bullsheet! I've been using Yakima racks on almost every car I've owned for the last 25 years and have never had them work other than designed. Friends and family who have Yakima racks also have never experienced this "roll over".
Agreed. You'd pretty much have to be an idiot to get a Yakima rack to "roll." If something is loose enough to slip on a Yakima rack, then it'll probably fall off a Thule too.

I don't know which is better, Thule or Yakima, but I do know that people like to think that their chosen system is "the best," and often absorb a fair bit of sales fluff/spin to justify their decision. From what I can tell, almost any rack from a reputable company works just great to haul your stuff if installed and maintained properly (and doing so isn't rocket science).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know which is better, Thule or Yakima, but I do know that people like to think that their chosen system is "the best," and often absorb a fair bit of sales fluff/spin to justify their decision. From what I can tell, almost any rack from a reputable company works just great to haul your stuff if installed and maintained properly (and doing so isn't rocket science).
I don't think it could have been said better....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem resolved for Thule at least

The problem was more that they had not updated their website yet. I installed the TK9s just fine.

Now I can't decide if I want to go for the roof box since it basically means I can never park in a parking garage again.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Now I can't decide if I want to go for the roof box since it basically means I can never park in a parking garage again.
The Yakima (and I think the Thule as well) cargo boxes have easy on and off mounts. Once adjusted for the space between the bars I can get mine on or off in about 60 seconds.

·
Registered
816 Posts
... go for the roof box

An alternative is a basket and a couple of river raft water proof bags. I found them a more flexible than the boxes and easy to remove and install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, It's super easy to get the boxes on an off...

Another option is a hybrid box... Thule makes a Ranger 90 which I own and love.
It's a cargo bag - with a base and Easysnap mounting hardware (so it goes on and off in about 60 seconds) - but it can also fold up into a carry bag (included) and be stored in the back of the E (where mine lives).

It's about the size of a camp share folded and it's 12 cubic feet when opened up. Due to its shape, I can fit all of my paddling gear in it - and a majority of my camping gear (sleeping bags, tent, etc).. We've even had our strollers up there for the kids.

Just a thought.

P.S The Baskets are killer as well... But they can still get you hung up in certain parking garages (especially in Boston)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The problem was more that they had not updated their website yet. I installed the TK9s just fine.
I actually called Yakima, and they told me that the warranty would not be valid since that hadn't been able to test the rack on a 2010 yet. So, the website is unfortunately accurate. But I installed it anyway, and everything fit just fine!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I stopped in the rackwarehouse to have them move my yakima rack over to my 2010 element, and like Toby, they called Yakima because it was not listed on the fit list. The story relayed there was that yakima had tested the 2010s, but had some trouble because of how Honda was painting the mounting brackets, and that sometimes paint was getting in the bolt holes. It seems like they had the same problem with 2009, so maybe they will get around to approving it, but that wasn't clear.

In any case, they did claim they wouldn't warranty it (not sure how they enforce that), and just recommended that I make sure to clear the threads. I prethreaded the bolt into holes first to make sure they went in, before putting the brackets on and bolting it down (the instructions mention this) and had no trouble. Aside from the fact that it was freezing cold and that roof is awfully high, it really was easy and the landing pads and control towers work great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I stopped in the rackwarehouse to have them move my yakima rack over to my 2010 element, and like Toby, they called Yakima because it was not listed on the fit list. The story relayed there was that yakima had tested the 2010s, but had some trouble because of how Honda was painting the mounting brackets, and that sometimes paint was getting in the bolt holes. It seems like they had the same problem with 2009, so maybe they will get around to approving it, but that wasn't clear.

In any case, they did claim they wouldn't warranty it (not sure how they enforce that), and just recommended that I make sure to clear the threads. I prethreaded the bolt into holes first to make sure they went in, before putting the brackets on and bolting it down (the instructions mention this) and had no trouble. Aside from the fact that it was freezing cold and that roof is awfully high, it really was easy and the landing pads and control towers work great.
I also pre-threaded the bolts to clear out any paint--as per the instructions that came with the rack. A couple of the bolts were a little sticky at first, but I didn't really think much of it since they cleared right out after a couple of turns. Maybe the Element that Yakima tested was more problematic?

First use: a HUGE Christmas tree!

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Killer Garage Door!

I have dealt with Thule before when my garage door came down while backing out and wrecked the ski rack. I had the replacement parts in two days and it was cheaper than REI.
I'm glad to hear someone else did the garage door thing - but my wife did it once and I just did it myself....

And, yeah, they are good to customers to take care of parts, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a Thule for 2010 EX

I just installed a Thule rack for my 2010. I was taken aback that it wasn't available, but the place I went to, did the installation and it looks great. I'm just a little miffed about the minor gap on the pads.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts