Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to have a reciever hitch installed on my 07' E and wonder if the Thule T2 plays nice with the tail gate. I'm guessing that the tail gate can't be lowered w/o hitting the rack?

Any T2 owners out there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
wish I had gotten the T2 instead of the Yakima Stickup which (although less expensive) does not allow you to lower the tailgate and it rubs the bike frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. My wife uses the T2 on her Mitsubishi Endeavor & it works great on that vehicle. I bought my Element in December and I'm just getting around to having the hitch installed.

The rotate down feature is fantastic. One more question.......will the lift gate on the E clear the bikes w/o having to use the drop down?

·
Registered
816 Posts
will the lift gate on the E clear the bikes w/o having to use the drop down?

Depends on the width of the bikes you intend to carry. The two cross spars that hold the bikes are adjustable. For me, with the rack set up to carry two short wheel base (SWB) recumbents the tailgate touches the top of the front wheel tray before it is fully extended. Good enough for loading and unloading but not to sit or stand on. With two road bikes with drop handle bars and no rear racks or other obstructions you can move the cross spars closer together and a little further away from the tail gate and it will clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes you can lower the tailgate. On mine the tailgate barely just touches the handle that lets you move the rack up and down. Not enough to damage anything. If you are worried about damage, you can keep the pin in for the tilt function and pull the lever and then the tailgate opens without touching anything.

John

Getting ready to have a reciever hitch installed on my 07' E and wonder if the Thule T2 plays nice with the tail gate. I'm guessing that the tail gate can't be lowered w/o hitting the rack?

Any T2 owners out there?

·
Registered
248 Posts
On mine I like to lower the rack and the tail gate and sit on it after a ride. Just a note that it does slightly rub on the lever of the T2 on mine if you sit on the gate. you could shave the Lever slightly but it might not do that for all. the mark was extremely small so I didn't worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On mine I like to lower the rack and the tail gate and sit on it after a ride. Just a note that it does slightly rub on the lever of the T2 on mine if you sit on the gate. you could shave the Lever slightly but it might not do that for all. the mark was extremely small so I didn't worry about it.
This is one of the things that has me worried about any hitch rack. There's nothing like kicking back on that tailgate after a ride & enjoying a refreshing beverage :D

I assumed that the T2 would allow me to do this if I dropped the rack down but wasn't sure if it would work w/o dropping it.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a similar comment. It almost clears when I sat on the tailgate. I had some shaved off some of the lever and it now clears. A suggestion is to put a thin pad between the tailgate and the lever to assure the paint job does not get any scratches.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Kick back on that tailgate after a ride

You can also open both the doors slide the front seat forward. That's what I do when changing in/out of bike shoes / sandals.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It does work fine and does not touch if you just pull the lever forward. Nothing on the rack really moves since you have the pin in so it wont tilt. It takes two seconds to do!

John

This is one of the things that has me worried about any hitch rack. There's nothing like kicking back on that tailgate after a ride & enjoying a refreshing beverage :D

I assumed that the T2 would allow me to do this if I dropped the rack down but wasn't sure if it would work w/o dropping it.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
15 Posts
just installed a 2" receiver hitch in case i want to get the T2 4 bike attachment. Haven't picked up my T2 yet.

I have a question though. I know thule sells a lock for the hitch and for the arms on rack. But my question is; can't you simply deflate tires and roll the bike out even if arm is pressed down and locked?

Even that said I heard it is a great sturdy rack.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am sure you can deflate the tires and remove the bike. Unfortunately, you would not even need to do that, since the buttons on the arm can still be pushed enough while locked to slide the arm off. I simply use the lock as a quick theft deterrent. If you want more protection simply throw a cable lock through the frame and lock it to the hitch.

John

just installed a 2" receiver hitch in case i want to get the T2 4 bike attachment. Haven't picked up my T2 yet.

I have a question though. I know thule sells a lock for the hitch and for the arms on rack. But my question is; can't you simply deflate tires and roll the bike out even if arm is pressed down and locked?

Even that said I heard it is a great sturdy rack.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, for MTB and hybrid it is easy but not so for 700x23/25 tires, but it keeps honest people honest. If I'm not close by, I also use a 10 foot cable through the hitch and bikes and then lock it => http://www.rei.com/product/638602

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the response. I am going to get a longer cable, have a 3' but won't work. Question is; where do you normal lock the cable around. The 2" receiver hitch I got has a ring on it for chains that I might be able to slip a cable through, other than that would like to here some suggestions on a good spot.

Did play around deflating the front tire on my MTB and it was very difficult to get the bike out when you used the lock on arm. But wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
t The 2" receiver hitch I got has a ring on it for chains that I might be able to slip a cable through, other than that would like to here some suggestions on a good spot.
meatwagon
I have a Hidden Hitch, and run the cable through the hole for a trailer safety chain. With a 10 foot cable, pass one loop through the other and you have over 9 foot of cable that will reach through two wheels, two frames and through the other two wheels and lock back on itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i figured that is what you did. can't wait to finally T2. Was using a yakima try on my Thule roof rack. What a bitch. Had to use a step stool to get the bikes up. And the first day I tried getting my bike up there I wasn't using a stool and I dropped my bike, which takes more of a beating than that, but I put a ding in MY E with the handle bars. Took me a few days to get over that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a SportWorks rack that became the T2 when Thule bought them out. I have an extension that moves it out so the tailgate can clear the bikes. Depending on the handlebars the hatch just clears as well. It does look kind of funny with the rack so far out back but it allows me to use the tailgate.

·
Registered
541 Posts
where did you guys pick up your T2...?
we were going to order the standard Thule hitch rack. Glad i read this thread 1st... this is why i love car forums!!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts