Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the driver side tie-rod end on my 2003 Element (part number 53541-S7A-003). I received the new one from an online parts dealer, but I can't tell if it came pre-greased. Anyone know if Honda sells these with the grease already under the boot, or do I have to add that myself? It sounds crazy that I wouldn't be able to tell, but you should see how snug that boot is on there! It could easily be under there, and when I slide the boot up the stud, it wipes it clean.

Also, if you have any tips or tricks for doing the replacement, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
stock oem honda tie rods have the grease from factory. moog or some other aftermarket might also but i do think moog has zerk fittings to add grease

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Official word has come back from the dealer parts dept: the fitting comes pre-greased.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had new front strut inserts and alignment done about two weeks ago. Rides like new etc at 95000. However, I still feel a "shimmy" in the front end when accelerating up a rise in the road. Seems to be fine on the level. I drive the same roads all the time and the surface could not have changed enough to justify what I "feel" coming from the front end. Cannot "feel" any "shimmy" in the steering wheel. Something is not right in the front end. Toaster does not pull right of left. I would think worn tie rods would show up in the alignment adjustment. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I lay prostrate at some front end shop with my wallet exposed!:-(

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Is the shimmy constant, or does it stop when you cease accelerating? If the latter, could be ordinary torque steer. Any noise associated with it? I'd suspect CV joints but there would normally be a clicking sound, and generally CV problems first manifest in sharp turns. Bearings are also a possibility, but they generally make a rumbling or grinding sound when they go bad.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had the dealer tell me my 'companion bushings' need to be replaced the last time I was there....but, aside from the front struts that I know also need replacing, the front end feels as tight as ever...

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much was that tie rod?

Turns out I can't get an alignment until I get a new tie rod. Merchant's Tire wants $165 to replace the left front outer tie rod, Darcars wants $141. How much was the tie rod online, markS?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly, it was like $12 for the part at Murrays or PepBoys. The online price from Bernardi (which I normally use) was $32, but the shipping was high.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it's just the outer ball-joint for the tie rod, they are $31.62 for OEM at HondaPartsNow.com
53541-S7A-003

If you need to replace the entire tie rod, it's $87.18 each for OEM
53541-SCV-A01

These part numbers were pulled off an 03 Element. Search under your own VIN just in case Honda made changes over the years....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are these fairly simple to change on the Element? I did the tie rod ends on my 2000 Nissan Altima and it took no time at all with the puller tool. Is it just a simple codder pin and nut, pull and unscrew? If so, I'll do mine tomorrow and then take it over for an alignment. I'm getting wear on the inside of both front tires and when I looked under there I noticed the boots on the tie-rods were worn and split.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are these fairly simple to change on the Element? I did the tie rod ends on my 2000 Nissan Altima and it took no time at all with the puller tool. Is it just a simple codder pin and nut, pull and unscrew? If so, I'll do mine tomorrow and then take it over for an alignment. I'm getting wear on the inside of both front tires and when I looked under there I noticed the boots on the tie-rods were worn and split.
Yes it's very typical from the looks (tapered balljoint stud, castle nut & cotter pin). The outer rod-end is #11 in the first pic, and the full tie-rod is #10:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did the job yesterday and it took less than an hour. The Moog tie rod ends came with an attachable zerk fitting and said that they needed to be greased before use on the bag even though it looked like there was grease already in there.

O'Reilly's sells these for $23 a piece...not bad. $46 for tie-rod ends + $60 for an alignment.

·
Registered
541 Posts
moog sends all there stuff with minimal grease you do have to add more. probably to keep the joint from rust

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alright...now I'm pissed. After doing the tie rod ends, I took it in for the alignment and drove it home (yesterday). This morning, I pull out of my driveway and I here a pop/click as I turn the wheel to the left. Just one pop and then one more pop as the wheel comes back straight. A constant clicking in a turn might tell me something has gone wrong with a CV joint but this is just one. I tested it out and noticed that sitting still in the driveway, if I turn the wheel about 1/8 of a turn to the left I get the pop that I can feel in the steering wheel.

I know this wasn't happening before I took it in for an alignment and now it is. So, I took the vehicle back to the place that did the alignment and reproduced the problem for the tech. He says he can feel the pop when a puts his hand on tie rod and that it feels like it's a gear catching in the rack and pinion. I say, "Hey, it wasn't doing this before I brought it here yesterday and now it is." His response, "It's just a coincidence that you have this problem." HORSE$*#!!! He then says that they only loosen the jam nut and turn the tie-rods to make the adjustment and that nothing they did has anything to do with the problem I am now having. To me, this has almost everything to do with it since this is the area they were banging around in yesterday.

What might cause the click?

·
Registered
104 Posts
No idea why there is a click, but the tech is correct. They don't loosen anything other than the jam nut.

You won't be able to figure out the issue unless you put the car on jacks and have a friend turn the wheel back & forth. I doubt the inner tie-rods are culpret because they don't really turn much when steering. Only a little bit as the suspension moves up and down. Personally I would be more suspect of the new outer tie-rods. They turn a quite a bit as the steering wheel moves.

If you can replicate the pop with the car on jackstands, try disconnecting one of the outer tie-rods from the steering knuckle (this won't effect alignment). If the noise goes away when steering, try turning the wheel left & right by hand. If the sound/feeling is still gone, then I would think it's a bum tie-rod end. If the sound doesn't go away after disconnecting the tie-rod, then reconnect it and try the other side.

This is why I always use OEM parts (especially suspension). Peace of mind is worth a little extra...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like either a broken motor mount bolt or compliance bushings, it could be a broken rack and pinion but I would find that odd. By adding new tie rod ends you did tighten up the steering some.

Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll put it up on stands this week and definitely check that out. When I am at around 15-25mph and hit little bumps I can here/feel something down there right behind my feet that that feels like something is loose and bouncing back and forth. It hasn't affected the steering at all but doesn't feel right either. I was thinking I might have some bad bushings down there but have had trouble singling out which ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do I need new tie rod ends ? Please help

Hi,
Just got new tires and front brake pads at 94K. The tech pointed out a "Bushing / boot / ... " don't know the proper name, everyone seems to call it something else, the rubber thing that looks like a fat washer on the outer tie rod end it leaking grease. The steering is fine and tight, no pulling or noises etc. Do I need to replace the outer tie rod ends or just the bushing? Tie rod ends seem to be about $20 each, if so what is the best brand I pulled up Febest as OEM on Amazon but see others with a 5yr warranty as opposed to Febest 1yr. Or, can I just replace the bushing? What are your thoughts? Thanks very much, love my E !! Still have not slept in it yet. Todd

Tried to post photo but it's on my pc not on the web...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts