Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers sunvisor clip is loose and the visor wiggles around. Is there a way to tighten it? Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
My drivers sunvisor clip is loose and the visor wiggles around. Is there a way to tighten it? Thanks
If you mean the clip which is located close to the mirror, there is no real way to tighten it. The onyl one which can be tightened is the pivot bracker near the door.

You could use some foam tape in between the headliner and the clip where it mounts to add some tension but there is no built-in adjustment to it. The retainer clip is held in place by two tabs which clip into a bracket on the interior roof. You have to insert a screwdriver into the front of the clip (you'll see the cut-out for it) to release the tab then twist the clip 90-degrees and pull it down to remove it.

Mine started to squeak really bad and I could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. For the first couple days all I could hear was a squeak in my roof and it drove me nuts LOL :rolleyes:. I have my sunglasses holder clipped to my visor and when I was putting on my sunglasses one day the squeak went away which is how I found it :).

If yours starts to squeak, simply lube the tabs and the post of the clip with a light paste or spray grease.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you tighten the pivot bracket near the door? Mine is so loose that if I have the visor swung over by the door, when I turn a corner it swings in and hits me in the head! Not good!

Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
How do you tighten the pivot bracket near the door? Mine is so loose that if I have the visor swung over by the door, when I turn a corner it swings in and hits me in the head! Not good!

Thanks
I'm not sure if you can tighten it but I've never had a customer complaint about one being loose in that manner. Usually it's complaints about the visor itself being too tight or too lose to flip down or up (or not staying in it's intended position).

You'd have to take the visor off and look at the bracket but as far as I know, if you aren't happy with it then the entire visor might need to be replaced as a whole unit.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
the clip is easy to replace and costs about 3 bucks.
i think that you can tighten the 'swing' as the visor is attached to the bracket via a spring and lock nut.
i have an extra visor and i will dig it up and send a pic.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Well I'm hijacking this old Thread because "SEARCH" didn't find my situation.

My E is nearing 5 years old and the sun visor has been showing a noticeable droop in the swung out side window position. This being the first day of time change, low sun irritation, I used it in this postion...and it sucked. Just hanging down there doing nothing for me. So I pulled down the plastic cap over the two screws (Oh it snapped in half) and tightened up the very loose screws. Seems like it's working better. But my screws are exposed!!!! OMFG MY SCREWS ARE EXPOSED!!!:-x

Life will go on.:lol:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Mine in my '08 now won't go all the way back up. There's about a 1" gap between the headliner and the visor. What gives? It's all floppy now. Just happened from one day to the next.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine in my '08 now won't go all the way back up. There's about a 1" gap between the headliner and the visor. What gives? It's all floppy now. Just happened from one day to the next.
Might be in the retainer mechanism inside the visor itself Frozen. I know we've had 2006+ Civics where something was binding or breaking inside the visor and if forced enough would eventually cause the plastic case of the visor to crack. I think yours might be binding inside or something has broken/worn in the mechanism that holds the visor against the headliner.

Without looking at it, sounds like you may need a new visor Frozen if it keeps dropping down or is loose and won't rest against the headliner.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sounds like a warranty thing to me. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've actually flipped down the visor since owning the car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I agree. If it won't return fully up against the headliner or it drops down on it's own, I'd have them warranty it for sure.

Haha it's funny how you don't really notice things like that until they don't perform as intended. It would drive me nuts to see it flopping all around like that above me.

I had my driver side one squeaking on me but for a week I could not find where the squeak was coming from. It would only happen now and then and I knew it was somewhere in the front area but couldn't pinpoint it's exact location. I initially thought it was in the dash but it's hard in that area because noises can reflect off the windshield of from inside panels and such, leading you all over the place but never even close to the actual source of the noice.

I later came to find out it was the visor clip in the headliner. I guess it was dry or something and there was just enough clearance to make the retaining tabs of the clip squeak in the metal part of the roof it mounts to. Took it out, sprayed it with some good old Honda white lithium grease, gave the clip mounting hole a coating and re-installed.

Squeak gone :grin:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts