Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh and good write up for the DBW crowd. Just remember when taking closeup pics in the engine switch your digicam to Macro mode. Thats the button with the flower on it on 95% of cameras. It'll make all the closeups clear.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ah gotcha. No biggie.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:cool: I just tightened up mine. I had a good 1/2" to 3/4" of downward play in the accelerator pedal before I would get any response in RPMs. Not to mention that annoying clunk the pedal would make. Now there's virtually no play at all or clunk sound. The slightest push on the pedal increases RPMs.

Instead of just judging idle speed by sound, with the engine at normal operating temp, I noted where the needle was on the tachometer. For me it sits just on the lower edge of the raised area around the red line for 1000 RPMs. The engine still idles at the same speed after tightening the cable. I had to move the nuts 4 or 5 threads. Seemed excessive but I guess it's what was needed. I had no idea the cable would stretch like that in 4 years.

Thanks for the write-up LMntGuy1982!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Awesome!! I'm glad i could help with this little do-it-yerself. These are the kinds of mods I like. The ones that restore that feeling the first day you drove it home. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh and good write up for the DBW crowd. Just remember when taking closeup pics in the engine switch your digicam to Macro mode. Thats the button with the flower on it on 95% of cameras. It'll make all the closeups clear.

Darn, I thought I was going to learn something new today---- I don't have a flower on my camera:rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
easiest and CHEAPEST(free:D) "performance" mod ive ever done... i guess you can call it a performance mod. it IS alot easier to get off the line quicker because of the GREAT response..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Works like a Charm

I have over 140K miles on my toaster....never tightened the throttle cable before...I now have the throttle response of a race car...Thank You!:D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry for being a Noob but who exactly is in the DBW crowd? Would I be one of them and which write up are you referring to? It seems that quite a few posts on this thread have been deleted.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why would you want crazy throttle response? I rented a nissan altima in texas and it was crazy how fast it wanted to go when i barly tapped the gas!! I like my E just the way it is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ain't tightening nothing on mine...6yrs of Mich winters has the adjuster rusted, now soaking in Thrust...may be able to free it up and get rid of the very apparent slack in the cable...

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Couple of days ago I would have to floor the pedal to get any acceleration and still would barely move the E. On the highway I said enough and stopped and looked under the hood and lo and behold the bottom nut on the throttle cable was off and the upper nut was inch and a half up from where it was on the throttle cable, noting the part that looked new with no corrosion. Anyways long story short and reached down to the lower nut and fingered it back on the bottom of the cable and moved the upper nut back to where there was no corrosion, tightened it up and voila, normal acceleration. Today read with interest this post. Still not sure how to tell TPS??? or normal idle speed. Seems the air cleaner housing vibration loosened the the throttle cable, the cruise cable still OK. Any suggestions as to why the air cleaner housing vibrates at idle. I tightened the 3 air cleaner hold down bolts and it doesn't move as much but still vibrates.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
None whatsoever. The cruise is set somewhere else. This only removes the slack out of the valve on the throttle body. Look in and you'll see how it works. Surprisingly simple when you think about it. A cable from the pedal to the throttle body. Kinda like a bicycle brake cable.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i just tighten my cable..i also had to adjust the screw about 5 threads,,but it only took me 5 minutes and what a great diffrence..i never realized how much slack was on that cable till i read this thread,,thank you guys..

21 - 40 of 46 Posts