Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! So I've been reading around on several threads and I've noticed that people have been doing all sorts of different mods to get some extra hp. I'm looking to get a bunch of parts that will all work well together to make some extra power. I'm def. going the n/a route and I'm dibbling around with the following parts:

1.)TSX intake manifold....maybee heads?????
2.)Headers....not sure which brand
3.)Exhaust.....injen maybee.....high flow cat????
4.) some kind of engine management
5.)pulley kit (if it's available)
6.) new spark plugs...possibly E3 spark plugs....halo spark plugs or something of that nature ---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX8TNTT0vGQ&feature=related

****The bottom line is i don't want to just throw a bunch of parts on and hope they work + add hp. I'm hoping that someone out there has some advice so that I can map out the project. Thanks in advance! 8)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Maybe before you start modding, you should look under the hood and see that you have one head and header, not heads and headers, jk, had too. Honestly, I know you want N/A, but the best bang for you buck is to Turbo it and put on a fmu like hondata (conversion like eyecarve did), or an AEM with a boomslang. No matter which way you go, your gonna spend $4k and up, the turbo is the best bang per $1. Just my $.02.

P.S.-Another thing to look at is if you switch out your head to say a TSX or K20 head, you will also have to swap Pistons, and that means you will need the block bored/honed, thats why it cost a lot.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hey i am working on more horse power to but i am stuck. I was going to do a turbo but i realized how much it is going to cost i bought the fic, uego with CF gauge pod and boomslang harness off "eyecarve" Great seller and Very helpful but now i have it and am deciding not to turbo. so i am selling all the stuff if you want it let me know i am selling all of it for cheaper then you will find it all anywhere else. But i think for me i am just going to do the header and tsx intake mani. and then work my way up from there.

if your interested send me a pm.

- Garrett

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like to see folks stay true to the N/A. Remember that the K24 is not uncommonly swapped in other vehicles that are modded...RSX, Civics, etc with a K20 head. Just google K24 build and you should get a plethera of ideas of what people have done and some good numbers.

Here is a quick link to an old post from hond-tech.com of a guy who did a K24/K20 swap N/A that made 290 on the dyno. Parts list is included.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2612469

Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like to see folks stay true to the N/A. Remember that the K24 is not uncommonly swapped in other vehicles that are modded...RSX, Civics, etc with a K20 head. Just google K24 build and you should get a plethera of ideas of what people have done and some good numbers.

Here is a quick link to an old post from hond-tech.com of a guy who did a K24/K20 swap N/A that made 290 on the dyno. Parts list is included.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2612469

Cheers
that's impressive, but I bet it was on race gas and could not be daily driven or built cheaply. Turbo is the way to go, a stock k24 can do 350-400 hp all day every day!

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound and feel of a worked n/a motor. That said, they have their place, and their place is not in a 3800lb element. More like a gutted civic.

At least you can still get decent mpgs out of a turbo setup. I got 22mpg with my awd auto. On road trips I could hit 26mpg, not bad for 3x the hp of a stock E.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think not... Would NEVER trade my E for a TAURUS... Power or not... All above mods will boost power slightly, with turbo being the most bang for your buck. My .02
I couldn't agree more about the taurus....i'd love to do a turbo, but I don't want to affect the reliability of my daily driver + my mod funds are kinda not at that level yet....i went to a performance shop near my place and they recomended i get a civic type r manifold....they also told me about the k-series skunk 2 manifold, but they said it was overkill for what I'm trying to do. Apparently the civic type r mani is good for 300-350 hp....so i think i'm going with that intake manifold.....i was also told that the tsx mani is not the best bet when considering $/hp ratio. As far as for the header that I'm going to be doing, I'm going to be going with a race header. The same shop has a skunk 2 k-series swap header for a civic that they are gonna test fit next week to see if it fits....I'll keep everyone posted as to the specifics of the compatability :) If all goes well with the header, i'll be doing the injen exhaust also and a k-pro. Future plans include the skunk 2 throttle body (drive by wire) model that's coming out soon....after I get my rims and lip kit, i may consider doing a turbo, but that's not happening for a while. Thanks for the advice everyone! BTW.....here's the link to the intake manifold from skunk 2:http://www.skunk2.com/engine-2.php?code=INPROK
Here's the link to the headers:http://cms.skunk2.com/id/158/K-Swap-MegaPower-Header/
Here's the link for the throttle body:
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/480/Drive-By-Wire-Pro-Series-Throttle-Body/
Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
225 Posts
All this would be bolt in and relatively easy to do.

TSX longblock - $2000
OBX Header - $235
Injen catback exhaust - $500
Injen intake kit - $235
Kpro reflash + used ECU - $500

Sell the element longblock - $800

Total = $2670

* all prices approximate..

Results per hondata's site = 200whp and 175wtq
+/- 18% drivetrain loss = 236hp/205tq

70hp/40tq increase over stock w/7400 rev limit. Should be enough for a high 14 second 1/4 mile

Then you could always add a turbo to that later. With medium grade t3/t4 w/10psi of boost you can make 300whp on that engine safetly and with little effort.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound and feel of a worked n/a motor. That said, they have their place, and their place is not in a 3800lb element. More like a gutted civic.

At least you can still get decent mpgs out of a turbo setup. I got 22mpg with my awd auto. On road trips I could hit 26mpg, not bad for 3x the hp of a stock E.
Very true... They are hogs for sure...

·
Registered
62 Posts
power adders

As a lifetime wannabe hot-rodder, and that I'm 62, I remember days when one could take a mild V-8 and for not too much money, increase power substantially. Nowadays with all the electronics and tight engine compartments, mods are not as easy or inexpensive. Since I don't like the sound of most of the boy-racers I see on the street, I'm confused as to what I could do to get some more power without the E sounding like a s--tbox. My favorite sound (non-V8) was a friends lightly modified E-Jag with 4 pipes instead of the original 2. The old MG-B's also had a nice sound, without the high pitch rap I dislike.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
All this would be bolt in and relatively easy to do.

TSX longblock - $2000
OBX Header - $235
Injen catback exhaust - $500
Injen intake kit - $235
Kpro reflash + used ECU - $500

Sell the element longblock - $800

Total = $2670

* all prices approximate..

Results per hondata's site = 200whp and 175wtq
+/- 18% drivetrain loss = 236hp/205tq

70hp/40tq increase over stock w/7400 rev limit. Should be enough for a high 14 second 1/4 mile

Then you could always add a turbo to that later. With medium grade t3/t4 w/10psi of boost you can make 300whp on that engine safetly and with little effort.
I just looked at hondata's website, its a lot more than $500 for the element kpro. Plus, he will need the setup like eyecarve with the bloomslang so his speedo will work, thats more $$$, but its the same for a turbo, but my point being its gonna be around $4k. No matter what, its gonna be a lot of $$$, and I am to the point with my E, I am ready to stop modding and dump the $$$ into my tt z28 project.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts