Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequently see posts by potential new buyers who have read about some of the problems experienced by SOME owners and are turned off or are afraid to make the deal. In defense of the E, I submit the following:

Let's talk about the supposed 65lb. weight limit on the spare tire cover. Where did that come from? In the last two days I have hauled 2 600lb. loads of river rocks in bags from Lowe's to my house (plus myself and wife, another 350lbs.) Is this over the 675lb. weight limit?...........you bet. I stacked all eight 75lb. bags right on top of the spare tire cover each time. Guess what? No cracking, breaking or damage of any kind. Yes, if you concentrate the weight in one place (like the knee of a 190lb man) you might hear a crack. Big deal! Now, I don't intend to do this kind of heavy hauling every day, but I bought the E for utility and I intend to use it when needed. I still have one more 600lb. load to pick up and it doesn't worry me at all. Yes, the rear sags a little, but the E handled the load with no problems, not even a discernable lag in acceleration!

A couple of other notes: I have had my E for two months, have had absolutely NO problems, no windsheild cracks, no CD skipping, no problems with the plastic parts, no leaking windows, no rattles, NOTHING!

If you are on the fence about buying, go with your feelings, but don't put too much weight on the problems you have read on this board or any other.
Some folks have had legitimate problems, but I believe they are in a small minority and they tend to post more often (as they should).

JMHO :wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
well put! I've been a member of aut-owners forums for a few years now. you always get more posts about the problems than anything else. Sometimes this is good (like rallying to get a recall on VW/Audi coilpacks) but it can discourage browsers.

I, for one, fully intend to purchase a GG EX 4WD Auto tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I gotta ask...

What "myths" are you talking about? Are you suggesting that some of the problems that I've encountered (and there aren't many) and others have encountered are just in our minds?

Don't be a jackass. While it may be true that you've experienced zero problems (and I'm happy for you), you can't very well speak for the Element fleet in general (just as people with problems can't).

To those thinking about buying, I say, if it fits your taste and lifestyle, I recommend it. I love mine. But, don't write off the experiences of others and dispel them as myths as this genious suggests. Afterall, no matter how uncommon a problems is, if it exists, it's reasonable that you might experience it too. My opinion is that most of these problems are minor, but to you, they may not be. Be objective.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What ever happened to reading a post and just moving on?? :?: Name calling on a public board is soooo very inapropriate. I for one have been wanting to post something similar becuause I have few problems with my E. I want to promote this car. Realistic posts on issues and problems are ok but I have seen too many boards go downhill and I may be guilty here as well. I just want to see this board stay as fun and positive as it can. I want people to love their car like I do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tiger6, I have problem with the aggressive attitude with which you attack people you perceive as posting generalized support for the Element, while you seem to have no problem with those who post generalized criticism. I also have a problem with the idea that somehow you've appointed yourself the forum police and consider that name calling and demeaning others is appropriate. If nothing else, you serve to dissaude others from posting positive experiences and entirely valid comments such as the ones at the top of this thread.

You must surely realize the fact that owners and others who are unhappy about the Element for whatever reason DO create myths. The myth that Element windshields crack every couple of hundred miles for no reason. The myth that every dashboard rattles and drives people crazy. The myth that every window leaks and can't be fixed. The myth that the engine can't pull a jackass on a sled down a hill without a following wind, the myth that letting a dog sniff the outside or look at the inside will indelibly scratch it to destruction... I could go on.

The point is that all these complaints are well grounded and fair, but in being repeated as frequently as they are readilly lead to anyone looking at this forum concluding the E has so many problems it's not worth considering. Thus posts of the sort here are entirely justified and quite proper because they help to put the problems being reported into context, redress the balance, and demonstrate that not only are the problems NOT as common or widewpread as might otherwise seem, but that even those who suffer various of them still rate the vehicle highly.

Personally, I think anyone who isn't a jackass is capable of looking at an Element and seeing if it fits their taste and their lifestyle. They don't need this forum to answer that question. But if they are in any doubt about their decision they ought to be able to come here and ask whatever questions they want and get whatever answers people want to give them. If they can't make up their mind who's answers can be trusted, it's not for you to tell them.

Because, Tiger, the difference between Utahrex and you is that he is telling us what HE thinks, while you are telling everyone what THEY should think.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree with jnes

I also think that utahrex was simply expressing and opinion and he was being objective.I have scratched panels, a broken windhield and skipping CDs. My solutions: Mp3 player and wait for an aftermarket windshield.

When a new problem is posted the seems to be a panic reaction. (The sky is falling!) I have been guilty of this when my windshield broke. I think that it is important for new members who are thinking of buying to get a realistic picture of the element. I also think we have a responcibility to respect the opinions of fellow members. We do not have the right to call someone a name because we don't agree. utahrex's post was clear and polite, it did not warrent an attack.

Lets play nicely boys and girls.

Feel the love.

·
Registered
273 Posts
with any vehicle, especially in its first year, there is bound to be a few problems. but some may be attributed to location, and others, well, if your looking for trouble you can usually find it... while utah rex lives in a warm climent with little or no rain and pretty fair weather, one would expect no problems such as leaking windows or a cracked windshield, but boneheadz who lives north of the frozen tundra may expect some issues... in all the E is everything that it was billed to be, a vehicle that you can kick the crap out of on the weekend, and still starts up for the weekly commute... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Kumbaya, everyone!

Semi-seriously though: I hope we don't get to the point that so many other formerly good-to-great boards do where members are micro-analyzing/criticizing each post as if it were a plea to the US Supreme Court.

No one needs that...

Oh, I didn't mean to speak for anyone but myself, sorry.

I hate any asinine snotnose jerkface that resorts to name calling and anyone who doesn't agree with me should be forced to sell their Element, buy a Kia Sportage with a Yugo powerplant and 200,000 miles on it, then drive aimlessly around in Death Valley until they spontaneously combust. I have zero tolerance for interolerance.

And now... Kumbaya mmm hmmm Kumbaya...

·
Registered
540 Posts
tigernumber6 said:
I gotta ask...

What "myths" are you talking about? Are you suggesting that some of the problems that I've encountered (and there aren't many) and others have encountered are just in our minds?

I don't think that was the meaning of the post at all.

I believe that the writer was saying that the reported problems are not very widespread, but perhaps widely reported. Rather like SARS.

You both make excellent points about the Element. A few kinks have shown up and should be noted. It should also be noted that many people are delighted with the performance of their new Es and have had no problems.

Regardless of how much you disagree with someone, it's pretty uncool to be saying 'jackass' and (sarcastic) 'real genius', isn't it? If you're so right, then surely you can make your point without resort to ugliness?

Please reconsider that in the future. Nobody needs the hostility or stress.

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:f43f7c154d="jdef"]
I hate any asinine snotnose jerkface that resorts to name calling and anyone who doesn't agree with me should be forced to sell their Element, buy a Kia Sportage with a Yugo powerplant and 200,000 miles on it, then drive aimlessly around in Death Valley until they spontaneously combust. I have zero tolerance for interolerance.
[/quote:f43f7c154d]

Doo doo on you, you scrofulous bucket of possum snot!

I disagree with your poopy post and think you should be doomed to driving a dirt-brown AMC Javelin with an 8-Track player playing "Muskrat Love" by the Captain & Tenille , and only firing on 5 cylinders, to your high school reunion!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote:054fa7d744="TheLusciousHellcat"][quote:054fa7d744="jdef"]
[/quote:054fa7d744]

Doo doo on you, you scrofulous bucket of possum snot!

I disagree with your poopy post and think you should be doomed to driving a dirt-brown AMC Javelin with an 8-Track player playing "Muskrat Love" by the Captain & Tenille , and only firing on 5 cylinders, to your high school reunion!![/quote:054fa7d744]

OH... MY... GOD*... You were there??? How the heck did you know...? It was a Gremlin, not a Javelin. It was only because my rusted out Skyblue Pacer was in the shop (something about expanding glass) ...

oh... you were ...joking...

ahem

uhhh, never mind... [teehee]

*The use of the term "God" in this post is not in any way meant to suggest the actual existence or non-existence of a deity of any sort, nor is it meant to suggest alliance, non-alliance,allegiance, non-allegiance, promotion, non-promotion, or any significance, or non-significance whatsoever with regard to "God" or anything else. Nor does the word "God" represent the views or opinions of the owners or moderators of the Element Owners Club, the membership of said Club, hereafter collectively referred to as "Mozilla", Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Motorola, the NATO Alliance, the Geneva Convention, AOL Time/Warner, or any subsidiaries, affiliates, members of the trilateral commission, the Bilderberg Group, or even the author for that matter. At this point, the author of this post wishes he had slept in really late, because he's been pretty stressed out lately and normally the author finds the friendliness and bonhomie and just general good feelings that come from the Element Owners Club members a kind of getaway from the malaise of post-bubble Silicon Valley and the War and CourtTV and Jerry Springer and even Dr. Phil sometimes is annoying. Spelling, puncuation and any other errors, whether real or perceived, are strictly the fault of the guy whose name I can't recall. The author wishes he could just go get in his Element, the one that doesn't suffer from any of the alleged, or non-alleged aforementioned "Myths", put on the live Counting Crows CDs, and just drive up into the coastal hills, cruise up hwy 9 to skyline, skyline to hwy 84 to the ocean, then hwy 1 down to Santa Cruz, and then quaff a couple of Gordon Biersch Marzens... Hey... the author can actually do that. Cool... Later.

·
Registered
352 Posts
While not promoting that our beloved E's are "perfect", some of the topics thar have arisen in the forum do concern me. The first is the "Flimsy tire cover" scenario that many have stated ahuge concern for. This one one i frankly don't understand. I weigh about 180 lbs and have stood on the tire cover many times and and at least 4 times while my 105lb lawn mower was on it. I didn't hear any unusual creaking or cracking and have since examined to find no evidence of cracks. I'm sure given the right circumstances they will crack such as applying a heavy point load on it on a cold winter day or just simply a very heavy point load on any circumstance. The second one is "faulty tailgate". True, when my E arrived it sometimes took two attempts to close it, but now that i have owned for about 12 weeks the problem has gone away. In my opinion two things were happening: 1) The door seals are very tight and it took time for them to compress to a closed position. 2) The door took time to find its "natural mechanical position", in simpler terms the door is now "broke in" and closes properly. No first year car (or any car for that matter) is going to be perfect. The problems that have been posted on the forum page are very, very minor to what i have seen in the past. Anyone remember the Chevy Vega with the 10,000 mile motor, the Olds Diesel 88 or the very infamous Cadillac V-8-6-4? Those cars real bonafide pieces of junk and should have never left the factory. If all I have to worry about is scratched plastic panels and the remote possibility of a cracked windscreen, then i would say my car is pretty much trouble free.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very well put, ion777.

I have been problem free so far, 3900 mi. and counting. I am happy to be aware of the issues that are being reported and in no way want to minimize the frustration that some have experienced, particularly with backordered windshields adding to an already exasperating situation, especially to the couple of people who have already experienced multiple issues.

I think the original intent was simply to present some balance to give people who are curious about the Element and are considering it along with other vehicles.

This place has an outstanding S/N ratio, but, we're now over 1000 members, so I guess it's natural that there will be the odd flame-fest. I only hope it remains a very rare occurrence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everybody !

I'm member in this website since february, I'm very happy to read a lot of comments (Good or bad) about element drivers ! I'm use to read car revue like Car&driver, motortrend, .... because I like to follow what's happen in the car world. For me, it's normal to have a % of element customers having problems, don't forget, no automaker including Lexus or Mercedes achieve a note of 100% for initial quality !!! Any brand will have some problems with an existing model or a totally new model: example: New Chevy trailblazer and BMW X5 (two champ for recalls !). My own experience with my Civic 1998 is kind of funny if I compare to the element: After 2 months, my windshield crack and I have to change it ! Since, no more problem except a small chip... My trunk (hatchback) gasket let water came inside the car (not to much but my speaker does'nt work anymore...) Same type of experience with a Toyota Corolla 2000: Have to change windshield after few months and major problem with power steering after bumper to bumper warranty, result $1,800.00...
Now, base on what I readed on this site: Element is a good design, I think, windshield quality are bad and when replacement will be available, windshield will have better quality. Water leak: Something bad for customer because you lost time but something I think will be easy to fix by Honda.
Plastic fender scracht: Very funny issue for me :roll: ! Yesterday, I saw a Liberty into chrysler dealer with same kind of plastic and you can do a scratcht with a nail... For me, this issue came as a mountain for nothing :?
What I love: no repetitive mechanical problem issue and the majority of customer are happy with the element :D !

Excuse me for my english :oops: I'm use to speak and write in french 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I must say, this is the most entertaining thread I've read in a while.

Tigernumber6, you went over the line. I do like your realistic point of view and normally think your posts are a breath of fresh air on this board, but you can't berate other members. It's just not appropriate.

Look, I too think one too many folks on this board wear E knee pads and have a mouth full of Honda but there are a lot of people who are just very passionate about their Es and I think that's great. I know I sure am.

I don't post all that much but do visit regularly to read. All the positives posts make me smile. They reaffirm my feeling and buying decision. All the reported problems are helpful. It was nice to know I wasn't alone when my windshield cracked. Let's not discourage either type of post.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Very well put LAment.

I have been a member of this board for over a month, and I too have enjoyed hearing the happiness of other fellow E owners and the problems and issues that have come up.

I have owned my E for a month now and have experienced none of the afore mentioned "problems" or "issues"....this does not mean that they aren't real problems and issues.....in fact it makes me more cautious and heaven forbid....an educated consumer!

I feel that through this website I have been able to prepare myself in case these situations arrise with my E. If I didn't have the input of 1000+ owners and soon to be owners I would only have my own personal prespective and how awful would that be! I mean if my windshield were to crack or my window were to leak I would more than likely FREAK OUT! But now that I have the knowledge that it has happened to other Es I would probably be a bit more reserved.

I like this forum and don't want it to be a place where serious conflict arrises just for speaking errr typing what is on your mind. We are all seemingly intelligent, free thinking adults and should treat each other with the same ammount of respect that we would like to be treated with.

As Thumper's Daddy said "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!"

Honestly I know that this is a Disney quote, but it also happens to be the best piece of advice I have ever been given.

Can't we all just get along???? <laughing>
Peace Out,
Diane

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:376580a0ff="LAment"]......you can't berate other members. It's just not appropriate.

Look, I too think one too many folks on this board wear E knee pads and have a mouth full of Honda but there are a lot of people who are just very passionate about their Es and I think that's great. I know I sure am.
.[/quote:376580a0ff]

Charming. :roll:

If it's unnecessary to berate other members, then it's equally unnecessary to suggest that members are "wearing E knee pads" and "pleasuring" Honda.

That's really saying the exact thing that Tiger said, just with a different sort of style. Instead of calling someone 'jackass' it's calling them '*****.'

The membership of this board is, by its very nature, self-selecting. Honda did not make our membership here mandatory with our purchase of an Element.

Naturally, the people who are more passionate will take time out of their busy lives to participate. That's the nature of any 'fandom'.

If you compared us to Miata or Mercedes or Jaguar owners, or to X-Files or Buffy or 24 fans, or to model train makers, or baseball card collectors - you'd find we're fundamentally the same - people are talking about something they enjoy, enthusiastically.

Those who aren't happy with their Element, or simply don't find auto ownership to be a big deal, no matter what car they have, aren't probably going to take time to post here. The people who bring Element problems to our attention are doing us a service. I hope their problems clear up soon and I know what to look out for now, too.

The passion is inherent in the choice to post here. I prefer to think of the passion as genuine, and not just some gratuitous service we're providing to Honda. I'm not getting a better price for my E or better performance out of it just because I post here. I have nothing to gain except my own entertainment and enlightenment.

JMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pour ericb - pas de probleme. I used to work for Armee de l'air Francais.
Salut,
Lon

·
EOC Sponsor
691 Posts
Okay everyone... Now I just found this OLD thread and dusted it off because I thought that it was funnier than heck! Read the posts with an english accent and see how "prim and proper" the old timers were.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts