Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>Or a crew cab type rear door?

Semi-suicide door, just like the E.

Is this still a design study, or a pre-production prototype? Fundamentals are surprisingly similar to the E, but the details are a little "cartoony".

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
The video on the site is LOOONG and boring but is informative...if it is indeed under 20K, I'm definitely going to have a look see.

I like the roof rack, and three wipers? cool...those rear view mirrors suck wind...they look like big digital cameras.

FJ Cruiser

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cartoony meaning the circlular lights? To me, it's a very close resemblance to the original FJ40, with a modern flare.. I would think this is close to production ready, considering they've already had a "concept" model two years ago that looks a little bit different from this.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/fj_cruiser.asp

calvin13 said:
But, is it going to be under 20k. That is one of the pro's about the E.
Prolly not, but I'd definitely pay a premium for this, especially that you get the 4.0L V6 with this... I hope Toyota takes a lesson from the Element's mistake and gives it an interior that is truly rugged.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Looks cool... except for the tail lights... if they had this out when I bought the E, and it wasn't much more, I might be driving it now. Too late. But I really like it... including 6 speed manual option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The retro thing is starting to wear thin these days!! The E's an original, that's one of the things I like the best about it (like the originals of all these new retros were, in their time). Went boarding a couple weekends ago, halfway up the mountain I turned and it took me about 2 seconds to pick my E out from all the car/SUV blah blah around it (it was the square orange dot)! Maybe when I retire I'll buy one of those new 2034 retro E's Honda will just be coming out with...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i believe the FJ Cruiser has been a concept even before the E was drawn as a concept!

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually the FJ Cruiser was unveiled as a concept at the 2003 Detroit auto show.. so it came after the E concept...

That being said, disliking a design simply it falls into the "retro" category is stupid. If it's a good design then I'm all for it..

·
Registered
302 Posts
errr that is a repackaged Tacoma truck ala Xterra-like execution. My question is why not just get an Xterra? You get 4 doors and a hatch that opens up. The tire is hidden away and not in a position to do hatch damage. The Xterra has a much more modern looking roof rack. That FJ one looks so awkward. They could have done a much better job.

I was hoping they were going to tone down the concept. The side profile is a mess. I guess it would appeal to those who remember the original FJ but it looks retro cartoony cute at the front. Yes, I believe its got tiny suicide doors with small hinges meaning it does not fully open. No way is Toyota is going to mention it is copying the Element. Xterra fans must be having a field day with this. I'd take it over a Wrangler so Jeep should be worried.

The engine is big but is it really overkill or is that the point.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
the only bad thing about that car is that the sticker price will be about $38,000

·
Registered
96 Posts
um, where did you get the $38,000 price tag? You clearly made it up, admit it. If you read the Car and Driver story, it says that it will have a base price below $20,000, meaning it will be competing with with the E, clearly. Now, I love my E, but when I comes time to trade in my car (probably somewhere btw. 70,000 and 90,000 miles), I will be looking at this car, as well as a probably redesigned E.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hondamade4dogs said:
the only bad thing about that car is that the sticker price will be about $38,000
stop saying crap for the sake of saying..

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ropedart.1 said:
The engine is big but is it really overkill or is that the point.
The engine in the xterra is just as big...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts