Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in CA and cannot seem to get a clear answer as to the amount of tint allowed on the front-side windows. some people say none at all, but this seems wrong based on CA code:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(taken from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=26001-27000&file=26700-26712)

however, i am not sure if this means that i can have tint which allows 88% of light to pass through or tint which allows 70% of light to pass through. does anyone out there actually know the answer to this question? i looked on the dmv web site, but i didn't see any information there regarding this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sure theres a way to find out- do whatever you want, if and when a cop pulls you over explain your reasoning, and he either says cool, ok :) or he gives you a ticket :twisted: thats the way its always worked for me!! :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:9928def419="mikebaker"]sure theres a way to find out- do whatever you want, if and when a cop pulls you over explain your reasoning, and he either says cool, ok :) or he gives you a ticket :twisted: thats the way its always worked for me!! :wink:[/quote:9928def419]Southern Cali isn't as strict as Northern Cali. I live in Nor-Cal. What works best is to use the gray color tint and go with "half" the shade darkness of the factory tint. That way it will not catch the eye of the CHP. If you go with the same darkness as the factory tint, you'll eventually get caught. Good Luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think that i found the answer www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html#02:

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tinted mine with the same color as the rear windows, and it looks so clean.
i just couldn't do the lighter shade. but my Pops is an ex cop and he says the same thing, its only a matter of time living in So Cal. before i get stopped for it... but for now it looks great and i enjoy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote:8a4df06e1e="mborkow"]i live in CA and cannot seem to get a clear answer as to the amount of tint allowed on the front-side windows. some people say none at all, but this seems wrong based on CA code:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(taken from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=26001-27000&file=26700-26712)

however, i am not sure if this means that i can have tint which allows 88% of light to pass through or tint which allows 70% of light to pass through. does anyone out there actually know the answer to this question? i looked on the dmv web site, but i didn't see any information there regarding this.[/quote:8a4df06e1e]
No tint is allowed in California, But do it looks good. Go dark thats all i can say.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i tinted mine to match the rears too... a cop won't usually pull you over JUST for your tint, however, if you get pulled over and the cop is feeling particularly *******-ish, he'll give you a ticket for the tint as well...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
[quote:863280db03="mborkow"]man, those windows look great. i am so tempted just to tint them regardless of the law![/quote:863280db03]

$50 and 30 minutes is all you need!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just had my front windows done to match the factory rears and it does look and work great. Also, I had the rear sunroof tinted with a dark full metallic film and what a difference! Well worth a few extra bucks. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all, first post on these here boards.

My experience with LAPD/CHP re: window tints is as follows:

LAPD - they don't go by how dark the tint is, rather by some vehicle code that states that nothing should be "stuck" to the front driver and passenger side windows that could possible obscure the driver's pheripheral vision. At least thats what the ticketing officer told me.

CHP - they do go by the degree of darkness of the tint.

Here's my story: Driving home one afternoon in my Nissan 200sx, I was pulled over by an LAPD motorcycle cop. Apparently, new additions to the force were having a field day on the main street to my house. I was sure that I had not committed any moving violations, so I had no idea why I was pulled over. The officer told me that it was my tints, to which I replied "But they're not that dark." That's when he informed me of the regulation they go by. Then, get this, it's a fix-ti ticket and the CHP has to sign off on it, not the LAPD. So, I take the car to the CHP without removing the tints. The CHP officer walked around the car and stated that it looke fine to him. He signed off on the ticket, which I then took to the court clerk. Minor inconvenience + $10.00 court fee = I get to keep my tints.

BTW, cool site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts