Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 Element certified pre-owned. It's my first car ever (at 42), so I really didn't know what I should be looking at and requiring be repaired or replaced. So far Honda has be absolutely awesome about replacing things that weren't even on the warranty.

But I've been increasingly annoyed that the windshield is chipped all over it's surface. There isn't a centimeter of it that doesn't have a little pin prick of a chip in it, so that in direct sunlight it looks a bit like sea glass or a photo negative of the night sky.

Replacement costs $700, and for that much I rather live with it and just hope a big stone finally flies up and cracks it beyond repair so I can get it replaced.

So here are my questions: Can I get it resurfaced? For how much? Or would my comprehensive insurance likely pay to replace or resurface it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have zero deductible glass coverage.

I have full coverage for glass. Do you think they might replace it even if it's not outright cracked?

My insurance is outrageously expensive by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't believe there is a fix for the glass. Half their business comes from selling you new glass for pitted stuff. Not something insurance will cover either. Not sure about the price you mentioned. The glass in my 03 was under $260.00 so you should maybe shop around.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
How much is your deductable?

An aftermarket glass installed will likely be cheaper than your deductable if you have one.

My experience with insurance companies is that they will only pay for an aftermarket glass.

The exception being if you have it written into your policy that you get OEM only or if an aftermarket glass is not available.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi, thiel, and welcome!......

Your profile is a little thin, so we don't know the state in which you live. Many states require insurance to pay full replacement with no deductible for windshields, as they are a prime safety item. In other states, like NC where I now live, insurance will pay full / no deductible for epoxy repairs to cracked windshields, but apply the deductible for windshield glass replacement. Sounds a lot like favors were exchanged in the state legislature on that one!

In any event, if you live in a full coverage state, windshield replacement is the easiest thing you'll ever have to do to your car. They'll come to you!

Check into it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mine got chipped from a passing truck. I also had a small dent in the front edge of the hood from a previous flying rock. I called my insurance company and they didn't even ask to see the damage, just asked me where I wanted to get it repaired. I took it to the shop of my choice and paid $100 and they got the rest from the insurance company.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drive a lot of highway miles, and here in AZ there is a lot of quarries that don't take care not to have sand and rock flying out of the back of their trucks, so I get a lot of windshield damage. I have had to "help out" some small cracks that only would have been filled by the insurance. The cracks have to be bigger than a dollar bill, for them to replace the windshield. The insurance will cover the replacement here 100% if you have it in your premium.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agh! I got my 03 with a spider cracked glass, Im afriad to replace it because I've read that 03-04 models had a tendency to break windshields due to a curve on the form. Luckily you wont have that problem. More than likely you;ll just have to end up replcing the whole windshield, supposedly safelite give you lifetime warranty for rock chips.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Go ahead and replace it, Typeflex. If you don't have a crack running from the bottom corner, the car either never had the weld problem, or it has been properly repaired. Still, while the glass guys have the old windshield out, they can check to be sure that the welds are flattened, per TSB A06-084.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Thanks Ramblerdan

ramblerdan
Just want to thank you for your persistence in continuing to help all of us EOC members.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts