Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my tires rotated and the dealership guy told me i had a hole in the side of the tire with a slow leak that could not be repaired. He informed not to use fix a flat because it would mess up some sensor...which sounds like BS to me. Also my radio goes out and the display reads ANTENNAE. It seems like if i hit a bump or brake kinda hard it with get static and go out and then come back on after awhile...it is kinda frustrating. Anyone have the same problem. Thanks.

·
12,179 Posts
I had my tires rotated and the dealership guy told me i had a hole in the side of the tire with a slow leak that could not be repaired. He informed not to use fix a flat because it would mess up some sensor...which sounds like BS to me. Also my radio goes out and the display reads ANTENNAE. It seems like if i hit a bump or brake kinda hard it with get static and go out and then come back on after awhile...it is kinda frustrating. Anyone have the same problem. Thanks.

It is not BS.....The TPMS sensor inside the rim can be damaged by using the cans of flat repair sealant.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Tire shops generally don't like that sealant, because it coats the inside of the tire and wheel with gunk that is difficult to remove when making a proper repair (or replacement).

I'd be inclined to ask an independent tire shop if the leak can be repaired. Usually they don't like to repair a side wall leak because it is often associated with structural damage to the tire casing. But if this is small and slow leak, a proper patch on the inside might work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tire shops generally don't like that sealant, because it coats the inside of the tire and wheel with gunk that is difficult to remove when making a proper repair (or replacement).

I'd be inclined to ask an independent tire shop if the leak can be repaired. Usually they don't like to repair a side wall leak because it is often associated with structural damage to the tire casing. But if this is small and slow leak, a proper patch on the inside might work.
This is pretty much on point.

If it is a small puncture that did not cut any belts in the sidewall of the tire and its not excessively close to the bead, a proper patch can fix the tire.

We get them through my shop like that all the time. Walmart, NTB, and some of the other large national chains will not fix the tire but a small independent shop should definitely give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I am assuming that you have a XM and that is what you are having a problem with. I had the same thing but I have a separate unit and my antenna cable failed so I had to buy another antenna and if yours is a permanent unit there is another thread that Yoda replied with a great print and photos. As for a sidewall repair most shops will not do a sidewall repair for liability issues as if it blows out you can sue them as the sidewall gets the most movement while driving along. I have repaired my own tires but I will not repair any customers tire just for that reason.
Here is that antenna link
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60902

1 - 7 of 7 Posts